Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Guppy Challenge 2022
Quote | Reply
sign up here. first week's workouts are here. these should be printable on one page, each day's workouts.

we begin tomorrow. or, we've begun already if it's monday where you are. (guam? have you started yet?)

ask any questions, if you have them, i'll do my best to answer. i'll start another thread that's just for your swim videos (this is always a popular thread). as is customary, we will dissect your form, which is the usual reason for posting your swim videos.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge 2022 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically...at this time of year... I'd be fit for swimming. I'd have used the first 4 months to get in shape for my April 24, Birthday Set of, what would have been 54x100s on 1:30. BUT.. the bike commitment of the Stagecoach 400 took over the first quarter and I'm very near to zero swim fitness right now. The Guppy Challenge couldn't have come at a better time and I just signed up. Tomorrow's workout has ~150yds of kicking (if I count the 5k Switch drill as partial) and that'll be the most kicking I've done in a decade - combined!.

Bring it on!

Dan et al, I'm swimming every Friday 6:30am with the LA Tri Club, in Santa Monica where Ocean Park hits the beach. Come and join.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Looking at the sheet for week one day two, it shows sets 1 & 2 as totaling 300 each, but according to my calculations these sets are only 200 each. Was there supposed to be something else in those sets or was that 300 just a copy/paste issue from the day 1 sheet.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge 2022 [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDCali wrote:

Looking at the sheet for week one day two, it shows sets 1 & 2 as totaling 300 each, but according to my calculations these sets are only 200 each. Was there supposed to be something else in those sets or was that 300 just a copy/paste issue from the day 1 sheet.

thanks. yes, just bad math. fixed. thanks for the catch.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan (or others),

I have FORM goggles and an active FORM membership...but I don't see a Guppy Challenge training plan or workouts in the FORM app. How do I get these workouts to my goggles.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Cavanaugh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
sign up here. first week's workouts are here. these should be printable on one page, each day's workouts.

we begin tomorrow. or, we've begun already if it's monday where you are. (guam? have you started yet?)

ask any questions, if you have them, i'll do my best to answer. i'll start another thread that's just for your swim videos (this is always a popular thread). as is customary, we will dissect your form, which is the usual reason for posting your swim videos.

Question: i can only see 1 wo for a day, no options for tunnas or tarpoons for extra distance?

I race in Austria next 3rd July , i will delay my participation till then.

THANK YOU A LOT!
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge 2022 [CJCavanaugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJCavanaugh wrote:
I have FORM goggles and an active FORM membership...but I don't see a Guppy Challenge training plan or workouts in the FORM app. How do I get these workouts to my goggles.

FORM and i have agreed on a workout regime that they co-brand as their Olympic triathlon training plan and we host as our Guppy Challenge workouts. this is what it looks like in the app...

that said, what you don't get in the app are the workouts that i brand as "extra credit," which is workout #4 (let us say) during the week. i'll give you a new extra credit workout each week, so, 12 of them altogether by the time we get to the end of this regimen, and they're all workouts that are favorites of mine.

but in my old age i've come to view the swim in 2 ways. there is that (say) 1 year, or part of a year, when you say enough is enough, and you take matters into your own hands and do what is necessary to take your swim to a high level. then there is the rest of your triathlon life, where swimming is probably best as a 3 or 4 time a week endeavor because of the rigors and time associated with balancing 3 sports.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick response. FYI, my app looks just like that, without the Guppy Challenge logo in the upper right corner of the training plan. (It does discuss Guppy Challenge in the plan description.)

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is it too late to sign up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,
would it be possible to publish workouts a day ealier (ie. Sunday morning at latest)?

I have time slot for swimming on Monday early morning..and since I am from Europe , I cannot use it for Guppy Challenge even if you publish it on Sunday night your time.

Thanks,

Marek
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge 2022 [prinx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prinx wrote:
Hi Dan,
would it be possible to publish workouts a day ealier (ie. Sunday morning at latest)?

I have time slot for swimming on Monday early morning..and since I am from Europe , I cannot use it for Guppy Challenge even if you publish it on Sunday night your time.

Thanks,

Marek

usually i do. but i messed up this week. i'm out of town, and got caught in traveling. sorry about that. the workouts themselves went up this morning, and the accompanying article will be up within the hour.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, thank you for investing the time and creating the work outs - it’s already helped improve my swimming.

I am struggling to access all workouts in the sheet on my iPhone. Opening in Chrome or Safari prevents me from moving to the activities for week 3, 4 and so on - just won’t let me scroll to those tabs and open them, and I have not found a way to open it in Google sheets.
Any tips to get passed that would be very welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge 2022 [jhm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem. Can only see all the workouts on my laptop. Can’t scroll over to see the new ones on my phone or iPad. Also can’t access if I use the google docs app
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

I am having trouble viewing any workouts past week 5. I can't seem to get the Google sheet to scroll so I can see the rest of the tabs - I am on a Mac but have also tried on my pc and phone. Any advice or help is much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge 2022 [Hannahsmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hannahsmom wrote:
Hi Dan,

I am having trouble viewing any workouts past week 5. I can't seem to get the Google sheet to scroll so I can see the rest of the tabs - I am on a Mac but have also tried on my pc and phone. Any advice or help is much appreciated!

sorry for the problems here. i tried to address this in my latest guppy article. if you go there you'll see at the bottom of the text links to both prior articles in the series, and each week's workouts that correspond to those articles. instead of having all the workouts as tabs on one google sheet, i split them up so that there's a separate google sheet for each week. there are 12 weeks in the series, so, there'll be 12 sheets, and each sheet will have 3 tabs. for example, here is the sheet for this week's workouts.

if you're still having difficulty it's back to the drawing board for me. i hope this solves the problem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!
Quote Reply