Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tri clubs - worth it?
Quote | Reply
I have been having serious thoughts of starting a tri club in my area...God knows we need one. My question is....is it a real hassle to get one going, and for all of you who are in one...do you get any benefits out of it. I'm thinking stuff like open water swims, spinerval classes, group runs and rides, wine tasting nights (you have to throw a little drinking into the mix) possible a race in the future....Is this all stuff that I think goes on in a club? I would join one to find out, but no clubs are remotely close to me. Any information is helpful...thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: tri clubs - worth it? [triinNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a club addict. Started one last summer, great fun, no hassle, but then running a tri club in the underdeveloped tri nation of Norway for 20-30 people is probably a more relaxing affair than running a 100+ club in USA.

First of all on my list: Define your target group and why YOU want to do it.

Bent Olav Olsen, recreational triathlete?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! I would probably not have done my first tri without the support of our local club, TRIGULFCOAST. Our club supports a beginners workout group, Mere Mortals, and an advanced workout group. In addition, we support a kids tri camp each summer, have a "members only" tri, and at least two socials per year. I have made a lot of new friends through this club. I think the future of triathlon depends on this kind of associaiton, and I have volunteered to serve on the board of the club. One piece of advice--Having been involved with other volunteer organizations, I recommend you DELEGATE rather than "ask for volunteers." Otherwise, people will just sit on their hands and you will end up doing the whole thing yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a tri group more than a tri club. We're not structured with an excutive, etc. We get together for social events as well as local tris, swim clinics, local runs and ride with the local roadie club, which many of us are also members. It's more motivating knowing other pople who are into tri and with a group/club you don't end up becoming a tri-recluse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where in NJ are you? I might be interested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May I suggest starting a branch of Team Secondhand Racing?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: tri clubs - worth it? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Team sHR isn't elitist either..they'll take what they can get and like it.
Quote Reply
Re: tri clubs - worth it? [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only tha Team SHR has no real rules or anything. You can use all new gear. All you have to do is use the name and do a couple of fun things. Water balloon fight, pie eating contests, anything a little goofy. At least once a year. I want some fun back on the sport.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a second here Tibbs..fun back into the sport...when was there ever fun in the sport. Oh wait..all these new type A kinds haven't been around long enough to remember back that far. I'm all for fun (the thread a while back where the pro woman got shoved off her bike during a race tells me we all need to lighten up..A LOT) this is sport after all. New tri event..water balloon fight, pie eating contest, and belching contest...no transitions..no equipment debates...no brand loyalty..just do something for the joy of it all. Only to have someone offer prize money for it later and have it ruined all to hell once more. People take one look at my 5'7" 180lb frame and ask me why the hell I bother with triathlons. I rarely see them beyond the two or three year mark. And most have different thoughts when I pass them on the bike. After 18yrs in the sport I suppose I could lay claim to some form of elitism..but why bother...go out and have fun..ride for the sake of being out on the open road...swim because it feels good to be one with the water...run some unknown back trail and enjoy what little natural beauty this world still has left to offer but don't take anything so seriously that you have to put someone down because they don't ride what you think is best or wear what you think they should. Play. None of us has nearly enough time in our lives to do it anymore...take the chance when you get it.
Quote Reply
Re: tri clubs - worth it? [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a man of enlightned thinking. I bow to you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All joking aside isn't the fun part of sport why we get into it in the first place? How do we all get caught up in the hoopla of elitism? I see so many people in transition doing the sport because it's the cool thing to do..or their friends are all doing in (and subsequently buying sew ups because the cool guy in the group does it..sorry Tom..had to say it). What the hell is that all about? Isn't golf supposed to be on the rise..go play golf for fricks sake and leave well enough alone. I'll continue to have fun at this sport as long as my body allows (I'm secretly trying to break the record for oldest in the sport...so far so good) whether I ride clinchers or tubulars...carbon..titanium...count my laps...follow a training plan..OR NOT. And those that see things different than me..well they'll be long bored of the sport and moved on. Or they'll finally see triathlons for what they really should be fun. To the original poster..dammit man yeah..start up a club/group/whatever. But do your best to keep it fun. What's the point in getting a dozen people out on a group ride to bitch about stupid semantics. If it's not fun it's no longer worth doing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got interested in triathlons when I read an article about our local tri club. Up until then the only tri I had ever seen was IMH and that's what I thought a tri was. I had no idea there were shorter distances. Our tri club has over 100 members (maybe 130-150) but there isn't a whole lot of group training. Everybody seems to have their own schedule. Plus there is a huge range of abilities. It has been helpful for open water swims and we did have a swim coach for one season. We have an annual members tri and have an informational class - Tri 101 - for newbies. I was an officer last year. The one thing I would do more of is social events so people in the club can get to know each other better.

If you think you have enough people in your area for a club, go for it.

Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been doing triathlons for 4 years, now - 2 of those were in a beginner/intermediate tri club, with full-blown swimming instruction and track workouts. I finally joined the big city one, this year, for three reasons:
  1. Open water swims
  2. Clinics
  3. Biking partners for century rides

I could maybe throw in another concerning IM training/nutrition. I have no friends left with time or interest to ride long distances and those centuries get mighty lonely. Let's hope my money was worth it...

~Angie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm part of an informal bunch. Consider using a Yahoo group as a means of communicating things like events and training etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I did my first tri on lark, kept doing tri's because I really enjoyed open water swims and the winter spin groups with the local club. They hold a first timers tri and quite a few events per week during the season.

My training crashed and burned when I moved away, the masters group was not very chummy & the commute home was harder than the work out.

That being said I tracked down the club here in Austin & caught their meeting this ealier month.

If you keep it informal & don't hold a race the managability level is reasonable. The race directing really requires a lot of work! if you get formal then risk management issues arise.
Quote Reply
Re: tri clubs - worth it? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Central Jersey...Toms River area
Quote Reply
Re: tri clubs - worth it? [StevenH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the information, it appears to me that the key is to keep it informal, and fun and let people do what they want, but give them an option to have group rides, runs, swims. I like it. I think after Lake Placid, I'm really going to work on it...too much training and work and family to get something organized now. thanks again!!
Quote Reply