Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The NRA annual meeting thread [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
stevie g wrote:
Until the gun is accepted as the problem, this won't change. In Texas lots of guys with guns showed up and well did nothing, even those who were well equipped.

Crazy, right? I don't understand why if there was a gun in there shooting kids why the other guns didn't just storm the school.

I never thought about it like this until you pointed it out. It's almost like it's not the gun being there, but what the the person with the gun is prepared to do that matters.

Hey, don't get mad at me. It's your argument.

So math teachers would have done a better job of storming the school than the 80 police that stood around outside?

I'm not making any argument about math teachers.

You're reaching.
Quote Reply
Re: The NRA annual meeting thread [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
what the 'arm the teachers' asks them to do is snap out of terror and disbelief and turn into lethally accurate stone cold killers, possibly against a kid they know well, and have empathy for

sure it can happen, but it isn't natural or inevitable. expecting it of those who entered the profession to nurture seems ridiculous

Exactly. The gun's utility is determined by the person, not the existence of the gun.

It's OK to admit this.

It doesn't mean we don't need better controls.

Many things can be true at once.
Quote Reply
Re: The NRA annual meeting thread [JFHJR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure, but is it easier to determine who's crazy enough to shoot up a school, or to afford gun ownership to certain ages/training levels/firepower

don't think the founders intended the enslaved have easy access to weapons, restrictions were already baked in, even if unstated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
kiki wrote:
what the 'arm the teachers' asks them to do is snap out of terror and disbelief and turn into lethally accurate stone cold killers, possibly against a kid they know well, and have empathy for

sure it can happen, but it isn't natural or inevitable. expecting it of those who entered the profession to nurture seems ridiculous

Exactly. The gun's utility is determined by the person, not the existence of the gun.

It's OK to admit this.

You don't think having 400 million guns in US circulation is just a bit much? (fyi, that is about 70 million more guns than people) So what is a good number? 800 million guns? Maybe a billion guns? A few billion guns?

Many, many other countries, quite successfully, seem to take a different approach. Should we not learn from them if their approach seems to work?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 30, 22 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
kiki wrote:

It's OK to admit this.

The “utility” of the “AR-15” is most certainly that it “exists”. We wouldn’t be talking about it if it weren’t so.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
stevie g wrote:
Until the gun is accepted as the problem, this won't change. In Texas lots of guys with guns showed up and well did nothing, even those who were well equipped.

Crazy, right? I don't understand why if there was a gun in there shooting kids why the other guns didn't just storm the school.

I never thought about it like this until you pointed it out. It's almost like it's not the gun being there, but what the the person with the gun is prepared to do that matters.

Do you not think it’s relevant how easy it is for an 18 year old kid to buy two AR15s and over a thousand rounds of ammunition?

Yes, relevant.

Yes, I'd like to see better controls on these weapons and their ammo.

Next?

Next is for you to lobby your congressional representatives for that to happen. Have you done that?
Quote Reply
Re: The NRA annual meeting thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
kiki wrote:

It's OK to admit this.

You don't think having 400 million guns in US circulation is just a bit much? (fyi, that is about 70 million more guns than people) So what is a good number? 800 million guns? Maybe a billion guns? A few billion guns?

Many, many other countries, quite successfully, seem to take a different approach. Should we not learn from them if their approach seems to work?

The hypocrisy of "some" (i.e. most of) the right is typical. They were all worried about the supposed social aspects of kids having to wear masks in school, yet they want to turn schools into fortresses with armed teachers, one entry, metal detectors, etc. How the fuck do you think that would affect the kids socially? And my mom was an elementary school teacher. She's the last person who should have been carrying a gun. The fact that the right refuses to look at the hard and fast facts from other countries goes right along with their science denial. And, yes, I'm generalizing . Of course, not all R's are like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well now you have established humans using guns are the problem, do you a want to remove guns, b remove humans orthe smart choice c reduce human access to and limit type and use of guns.
Last edited by: stevie g: May 30, 22 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: The NRA annual meeting thread [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll go with C Stevie G
Quote Reply
Re: The NRA annual meeting thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
kiki wrote:

It's OK to admit this.

You are the one who wants to limit so it's your number to define.

At what level of gun ownership will you accept mass shootings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rather have no mass shootings, if possible.

If not, I would like to reduce our mass shooting rate by 95% or more.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The NRA annual meeting thread [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

Well now you have established humans using guns are the problem, do you a want to remove guns, b remove humans orthe smart choice c reduce human access to and limit type and use of guns.

First, you established humans are the problem, not me.

Second, this doesn't need to be an "or".

Third, my position from the beginning has always been to limit access to guns for those that shouldn't have them, so I guess that's "C"?

Tell you what, I'll act like you cornered me into answering "C" with your asinine multiple choice test and we'll pretend you won this round because I'm bored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second, this doesn't need to be an "or".

c reduce human access to and limit type and use of guns.
Quote Reply
Re: The NRA annual meeting thread [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, your saying you want the USA to be like California. Got it.

FYI- in Wisconsin, I have waited as little as 1 hour to buy a gun with a background check. Not a 5 day wait.
Quote Reply
Re: The NRA annual meeting thread [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

FYI- in Wisconsin, I have waited as little as 1 hour to buy a gun with a background check. Not a 5 day wait.

JHarris, Your ability to summarize and retell needs improvement. I never said I want the US to be like California. Goddamn it. Instead, I gave you a very thorough explanation for why federal laws, rather than state laws, should govern these issues. Did you read what I wrote at all?

FYI- The 5 day background check was part of the Brady Bill, which was a federal law passed in 1993 amending the Gun Control Act of 1968. In 1998 the federal National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) was instituted.
Quote Reply
Re: The NRA annual meeting thread [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
jharris wrote:

JHarris, Your ability to summarize and retell needs improvement. I never said I want the US to be like California. Goddamn it. Instead, I gave you a very thorough explanation for why federal laws, rather than state laws, should govern these issues. Did you read what I wrote at all?

FYI- The 5 day background check was part of the Brady Bill, which was a federal law passed in 1993 amending the Gun Control Act of 1968. In 1998 the federal National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) was instituted.

You have the patience of an endurance athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
JFHJR wrote:
kiki wrote:

It's OK to admit this.

You are the one who wants to limit so it's your number to define.

At what level of gun ownership will you accept mass shootings?

Do you read your own posts?

JFHJR wrote:

my position from the beginning has always been to limit access to guns for those that shouldn't have them

Quote Reply

Prev Next