Re: Another school shooting, Texas [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
jmh wrote:
SDG wrote:
jmh wrote:
SDG wrote:
jmh wrote:
Do you also refer to Ted Cruz as Rafael?

Say what you want about Beto, but calling him Robert is some weak ass shit. He was born in El Paso where Beto is a common nickname for Robert. But I assume you knew that an just choose to be an asshat.

I suggest he is culturally appropriating the name "Beto" and I won't be a part of it. He is not hispanic, I don't care how long he lived in El Paso. My hispanic friends see him as a pendejo and we refer to him as Robert if he is discussed. A phony and a fraud. Claim disdain and shock all you want.

No, I am not shocked you choose to be an asshat.

So what about Ted? So you apply the same standard?

Is he culturally appropriating the name Ted? What culture? Yes, if so.

So you don't call him Rafael. Thanks for making the point.

I will be here just waiting for the culture of Teds that Rafael is pandering to for votes. Robert's pandering on the other hand, on this issue of names, is quite clear.

How is Beto pandering? He has been going by Beto basically his whole life. Who is a 8 year old Beto pandering to exactly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so I am culturally appropriate, do you prefer SDG or Douchebag?
Quote Reply
Re: Another school shooting, Texas [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:
Just so I am culturally appropriate, do you prefer SDG or Douchebag?

Are you really Swedish? If so, you are good. If not, you may want to look in the mirror.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very Swedish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
jmh wrote:
SDG wrote:
jmh wrote:
SDG wrote:
jmh wrote:

Say what you want about Beto, but calling him Robert is some weak ass shit. He was born in El Paso where Beto is a common nickname for Robert. But I assume you knew that an just choose to be an asshat.

I suggest he is culturally appropriating the name "Beto" and I won't be a part of it. He is not hispanic, I don't care how long he lived in El Paso. My hispanic friends see him as a pendejo and we refer to him as Robert if he is discussed. A phony and a fraud. Claim disdain and shock all you want.

So you don't call him Rafael. Thanks for making the point.

I will be here just waiting for the culture of Teds that Rafael is pandering to for votes. Robert's pandering on the other hand, on this issue of names, is quite clear.

Don't be ignorant. Ted has been referring to himself as Ted since junior high school.

Quote:
Cruz said in his 2015 autobiography, “A Time for Truth,” that midway through junior high school in Houston, he decided to stop going by Rafael in part because he already was often called Felito. “The problem with that name was that it seemed to rhyme with every major corn chip on the market. Fritos, Cheetos, Doritos and Tostitos—a fact that other young children were quite happy to point out,” Cruz wrote. “I was tired of being teased. One day I had a conversation with my mother about it and she said, ‘You know, you could change your name. There are a number of other possibilities.’”
“And,” Cruz wrote, “she proceeded to list them: Rafael. Raph. Ralph. Edward. Ed. Eddie. ‘Or you could go by Ted.’ I found that a shocking concept,” Cruz wrote. “It had never occurred to me that I had any input on my name.” He made the switch, Cruz said, though his conservative father initially resisted—especially after his mother pointed out that Ted was short for Edward as in the liberal Massachusetts senator, Democrat Ted Kennedy.

Beto was given the nickname by his parents when he was young. At best you could say his politically minded father was pandering for him.

Quote:
A March O’Rourke profile in the Dallas Morning News said the candidate’s father, the late Pat O’Rourke, who was elected El Paso’s county judge, “once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O’Rourke. It was also a way,” the story said, “to distinguish him from his maternal grandfather, Robert Williams.”
That story quoted Beto O’Rourke reacting, when told of his father’s words: “I believe it, I believe it. He was farsighted in that way. … He loved this community and imparted his love of this community to me. It’s helped shape who I am today.”

https://www.statesman.com/...e-by-beto/986885007/

They both choose to use their nicknames as adults, those reasons aren't too difficult to noodle through even for you. But referring to Beto as "Robert" while being critical of him for using a nickname and also referring to Ted as "Ted" and not Rafeal having an equal issue with it speaks more about you than them.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do apologize SDG, just frustrated as it is probably only a matter of hours/days until the next shooting. Then the entire thoughts and prayers crowd will be out in full force with nothing else to offer.

It's a sad commentary on our society. I too grew up in an area where almost every kid's truck had at least one gun on their back window gun rack. Plus, I am willing to bet their trucks weren't locked 95% of the time while at school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:
I do apologize SDG, just frustrated as it is probably only a matter of hours/days until the next shooting. Then the entire thoughts and prayers crowd will be out in full force with nothing else to offer.

It's a sad commentary on our society. I too grew up in an area where almost every kid's truck had at least one gun on their back window gun rack. Plus, I am willing to bet their trucks weren't locked 95% of the time while at school.

No worries and I am i agreement that we need to have stricter gun laws, just no way to ignore that. I don't think however it will prevent these situations but I am happy to let the something be better than the nothing.

I think the only way to have a significant chance at preventing these issues is full out gun confiscation of the millions out there and crush them to pieces. This will take years and lots of brave city workers to get them. Maybe a buy back if you offer enough money.

Then we have laws in place that no one is allowed a gun outside of a licensed gun range/club or licensed hunting property. And those guns are pump action, bolt action, or over under. Nothing smaller than a long barrel and no pistols at all. Add to this, we make it a life sentence and highest degree felony to commit a crime with a gun or be an accessory to someone that commits a crime with a gun. This means the 15 year old kid that got pulled into the car in Chicago while his cousin who was 20 ran into the drug store and shot the clerk gets a life sentence. Zero tolerance on gun crimes.

Clearly, these things will never happen.

Barring these things, I think we do what we can to pass some stricter laws, make the schools safer by some of the things previously suggested and try to figure out why folks are so unhappy. ( good luck with that one)

I dont' have a huge dog in this fight other than hoping we can save some lives. I don't own but a few guns and if I was paid to turn them in ( they are pretty pricey shotguns for sporting clays) I would do so and be fine. I like to sport shoot but could live without it if it would stop these things from happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only gone clay shooting once but I really enjoyed it. The funny thing is I went with a number of guys who were hunters and I was a better shot than they were.

I never saw the sporting element of hunting a defenseless animal with a high powered rifle. I've told my wife, that if the animal could fire back on the hunter then I could consider that being a sport.

My solutions are increased wait times to get a gun, better background checks, 21 as a minimum age and remove assault weapons from the available guns you can buy or at least make the standards to get one much more stringent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
jmh wrote:
SDG wrote:
jmh wrote:

Yes, as a toddler he was guilty of cultural appropriation. You should stop getting your talking points from Ted Cruz

Quote Reply
Re: Another school shooting, Texas [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
SDG wrote:
jmh wrote:
SDG wrote:
jmh wrote:

Yes, as a toddler he was guilty of cultural appropriation. You should stop getting your talking points from Ted Cruz

HA, no it was his dad. SEE JMH post above. So much as said he was going to call him Beto so he could get elected by the hispanics in El Paso if he ever ran for office. Priceless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:
I've only gone clay shooting once but I really enjoyed it. The funny thing is I went with a number of guys who were hunters and I was a better shot than they were.

I never saw the sporting element of hunting a defenseless animal with a high powered rifle. I've told my wife, that if the animal could fire back on the hunter then I could consider that being a sport.

My solutions are increased wait times to get a gun, better background checks, 21 as a minimum age and remove assault weapons from the available guns you can buy or at least make the standards to get one much more stringent.

Sporting clays is like golf with shotguns. Fun way to spend an afternoon with friends. I agree with all of your suggestions and support them.

I used to hunt a lot as a kid and have no problem with hunters. However, when I really realized how easy it was to shoot a deer at 150 yards from a stand ( how we hunt in texas) with a rifle that was sighted to an inch it lost a little luster. Not very sporting for me. So then I decided bow hunting was the sporting way to do it and that lasted awhile. I did eventually just decide I didn't like it anymore and haven't been hunting in years.

But I don't suggest anyone else should stop hunting or be prevented from doing so within the realm of proper conservation. And taking a bear in Canada or an elk in the Rockies is probably still a hard endeavor. I would go on those trips but take a camera instead. Photograph and leave them be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last school mass shooting in the UK was Dunblaine in 1996.

The UK immediately banned the sale of pistols.

Australia did the same also in 1996

The response in the US baffles me.
Quote Reply
Re: Another school shooting, Texas [JGav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JGav wrote:
Last school mass shooting in the UK was Dunblaine in 1996.

The UK immediately banned the sale of pistols.

Australia did the same also in 1996

The response in the US baffles me.

Yup as I said in a previous thread, it's very, very hard to get your hands on any kind of gun in Australia, legal or illegal. And there are simply no high-powered/automatic guns in the country, other than those the military, police use. We still have psychos and nutjobs, but they can only go nutzo with knives and catapults, so are somewhat limited in their ability to commit a massacre.
Quote Reply
Re: Another school shooting, Texas [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't bother engaging with the asshat.

In related news: Greg Abbott - "The shooter had no history of mental health issues."

3 minutes later: Greg Abbott - "We all agree this was a mental health problem."

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Another school shooting, Texas [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

In related news: Greg Abbott - "The shooter had no history of mental health issues."

*proceeds to do nothing to address mental health*
Quote Reply
Re: Another school shooting, Texas [southpaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
southpaw wrote:
BLeP wrote:

At a minimum you would like to think he would improve funding for state mental health. Or not, to the tune of $211M cut from the state mental health budget just over a year ago.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Another school shooting, Texas [southpaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
southpaw wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Actually it is proceeds to cut mental health funding.
Quote Reply
Re: Another school shooting, Texas [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thankfully a mother that paid attention.

Teenage Cousin of Uvalde Gunman Arrested Over Threats to a School

A 17-year-old cousin of the gunman responsible for the deadly school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, was arrested after his mother reported that he was trying to buy a gun and “do the same thing,” the authorities said on Monday.

The cousin, identified as Nathan James Cruz, 17, was taken into custody on Monday morning and charged with making threats to a public place and a family member, said Sgt. Washington Moscoso of the San Antonio Police Department.

Mr. Cruz’s mother notified the authorities after learning that her son had made statements that worried her, including that he would “shoot the school,” and that “school is starting soon,” according to an affidavit filed with the arrest warrant. Detectives later determined that the threats were serious enough to merit an arrest.

The affidavit said Mr. Cruz’s mother contacted the police after her daughter told her that Mr. Cruz said he was planning “to do the same thing” as his cousin, Salvador Ramos. Mr. Ramos, an 18-year-old Uvalde resident, fatally shot 19 students and two teachers at Robb Elementary School with an AR-15-style weapon in 2022.

https://www.nytimes.com/...I&smid=url-share

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Another school shooting, Texas [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
How does this keep happening? This is really messed up.

https://www.ksat.com/...chool-district-says/

Don't blame the police, they acted-ish by the book.

Uvalde shooting: victims’ families furious after independent investigator clears officers of blame

Quote:
Moments after presenting the findings of an independent report on the May 2022 school massacre in Uvalde, Texas, without assigning blame, the man who led it walked out of a city council meeting without taking questions, sparking the fury of many victims’ families.

“I don’t want to hear an explanation. I want him back,” Kimberly Mata-Rubio, whose daughter Lexi was among 19 children killed, yelled at city officials. She was referring to the retired Austin police detective who presented the report, which did not identify any officers who violated policy.

The meeting, which opened with a prayer, devolved into anger and shouting as Prado admitted his probe found failures in the law enforcement response but did not identify specific local police officers for not doing their jobs that day.

Instead, his report cleared local police of wrongdoing and said the officers acted in good faith. Among those cleared was Uvalde Police Lt. Javier Martinez – the highest-ranking police officer among those who first entered the school. Martinez rushed to the classroom but retreated after he was shot at by the gunman and injured. Staff Sgt. Eduardo Canales, the second point of contact inside the school, was also exonerated.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Mar 7, 24 16:01
Quote Reply
Re: Another school shooting, Texas [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Ted Cruz, almost as if on cue:

Quote:
Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas called the shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, an "unspeakable crime."

But Cruz said he still doesn’t see gun reform as a solution. Instead, he said the way to prevent this type of crime is “going after felons and fugitives and those with serious mental illness arresting them prosecuting them when they try to illegally buy firearms.”“You know inevitably, when there's a murderer of this kind, you see politicians try to politicize it, you see Democrats and a lot of folks in the media whose immediate solution is to try to restrict the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens. That doesn't work. It's not effective. It doesn't prevent crime,” he said.

Instead, Cruz advocated for more armed law enforcement resources on school campuses.

“There's no doubt we need to do more to keep children in school safe. We know from past experience one of the most effective tool for keeping kids safe is armed law enforcement on the campus. We don't know the details of what happened at Robb Elementary School, but there will be a lot of time to examine what steps could have been taken proactively to enhance the safety and security of the school right now," he said.

Ted Cruz needs to be fired in to the sun. I can't think of a more despicable politician.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next