Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weird divorce precedent possibly being set in Oklahoma
Quote | Reply
Apparently if you use any kind of donor it’s possible you need to adopt your child in addition to being on the birth certificate???

This sets a pretty crazy precedent possibly not just for same sex couples.

https://www.yahoo.com/...birth-143030025.html
Quote Reply
Re: Weird divorce precedent possibly being set in Oklahoma [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be tough finding sperm donors if this continues.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Weird divorce precedent possibly being set in Oklahoma [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Apparently if you use any kind of donor it’s possible you need to adopt your child in addition to being on the birth certificate???

Is the problem that the person that has no biological relationship to the child is being removed from the birth certificate, or that they never should have been on it. I think I could argue both.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird divorce precedent possibly being set in Oklahoma [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

Is the problem that the person that has no biological relationship to the child is being removed from the birth certificate, or that they never should have been on it. I think I could argue both.

That's what I thought, why is the second woman on the birth certificate in the first place.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Weird divorce precedent possibly being set in Oklahoma [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

I see the issue being that someone who established a legal connection to a child via the understood proper channel is having that removed with no replacement legal connection to that child being established in the process.

You can change rules but need a process for those who were under the old rules to proceed without losing the rights they established.

There are plenty of heterosexual couples who have used sperm donors who do not have that person listed on the birth certificate- should those dads lose all legal connections to their child in a divorce?
Quote Reply
Re: Weird divorce precedent possibly being set in Oklahoma [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
velocomp wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

That's what I thought, why is the second woman on the birth certificate in the first place.

Because the parents names go on the birth certificate.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird divorce precedent possibly being set in Oklahoma [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
velocomp wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

Why is this a question? My father is on my birth certificate, although he is not my biological father (artificial insemination). He's there because he was married to my mom at the time. Does anyone question that? No birth certificate has a sperm donor listed as the father unless specifically requested at birth, does it?

This situation is exactly the same: the married parents are listed on the birth certificate, irrespective of their actual parentage.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Weird divorce precedent possibly being set in Oklahoma [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
velocomp wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

Because the parents names go on the birth certificate.

Is it the chosen parents or the biological parents? I bet that changes state to state.

And if you have 2 parents and they separate, does the biological parent have more of an argument to custody of the child then the non-biological parent? (Assuming that all things are equal, no abuse, both good parents, both able to provide the same things?)

What about if biological parent passes away, would biological relatives have any standing with the child?

I'm really just asking. I can see where an adoptive parent (non-biological, not sure what the proper name for that is), should have standing. But not sure why they would be on the birth certificate. Maybe we need a line on the birth certificate for Non-biological parent? Could you have 3 people on a birth certificate? Would that ever make sense? O.k. now I'm just spinning...
Quote Reply
Re: Weird divorce precedent possibly being set in Oklahoma [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
velocomp wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

Why is this a question? My father is on my birth certificate, although he is not my biological father (artificial insemination). He's there because he was married to my mom at the time. Does anyone question that? No birth certificate has a sperm donor listed as the father unless specifically requested at birth, does it?

This situation is exactly the same: the married parents are listed on the birth certificate, irrespective of their actual parentage.

That was going to be my next question, what about a M/F marriage with a sperm donor, does the male husband go on the birth certificate. You answered it for me, thanks.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

Like, surely this has come up a 100 times before with hetero couples with donors before a ruling involving same sex individuals. Right?

Mind you I'm not deliberately hunting for intent here or an agenda. I don't want it to be. Just what are the freaking odds that in the decades of donors with hetero couples that this hasn't come up before? How could it not have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we need to separate birth records from legal custody records. I'm not sure how to do this yet but it could just be a separate document. IMO- birth records should indicate the genetic donors of the child.

-I learned that I had a half-sister through genetic testing that she initiated. Apparently she was adopted out at birth and never knew her birth parents. But then her own child came down with a disease and she was desperately trying to trace her family history to get a handle on the DNA inheritance. I can see how this information would be useful to both the child and medical professionals. Even in the case of sperm banks, I can see why this information has value.

-I knew another person who's biological mom died when she was in elementary school. Her dad remarried and new wife went through official adoption of his kids. Bio mom's name got erased and the children are still grumpy about it to this day.

So leave the genetic names on the birth certificate. This does not mean that they have any legal claim or responsibility to the child. Have a different, legal form that would indicate the actual parents of the child.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Weird divorce precedent possibly being set in Oklahoma [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I think we need to separate birth records from legal custody records. I'm not sure how to do this yet but it could just be a separate document. IMO- birth records should indicate the genetic donors of the child.

That's almost exactly the way it works in NZ. Birth certificate and genetic record are different documents. Birth cert serves as custody record, genetic record with appropriate privacy protections serves to fill in any blanks .

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply