Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means?
Quote | Reply
This is a guy who's going places academically in my field, a former student. Other colleagues have made jokes about they don't know how his head fits through the door sometimes :)

I'm awful at self-promotion, but this guy has no qualms about it. We probably lie at opposite extremes. Whenever he publishes something he posts about it on Facebook, if he wins an award, etc. I'd feel like a douche who was showing off or something if I did that.

Anyway, "I'm so humbled" seems like an appropriate response when given an award or something. It's not how you open a post that you yourself are making and then where you go on to wax poetic for a paragraph about how prestigious the award is.

Not the first person in academia I've encountered like this and I assume they exist in other walks of life too. Other than snickering behind their back they don't seem to pay any penalty for it, and there never seems to be a shortage of people willing to stoke their ego further.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
This is a guy who's going places academically in my field, a former student. Other colleagues have made jokes about they don't know how his head fits through the door sometimes :)

I'm awful at self-promotion, but this guy has no qualms about it. We probably lie at opposite extremes. Whenever he publishes something he posts about it on Facebook, if he wins an award, etc. I'd feel like a douche who was showing off or something if I did that.

Anyway, "I'm so humbled" seems like an appropriate response when given an award or something. It's not how you open a post that you yourself are making and then where you go on to wax poetic for a paragraph about how prestigious the award is.

Not the first person in academia I've encountered like this and I assume they exist in other walks of life too. Other than snickering behind their back they don't seem to pay any penalty for it, and there never seems to be a shortage of people willing to stoke their ego further.

The ones you have to watch out for are those who takes credit for your work. This type is annoying but mostly harmless.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was in grad school we studied a guy named Bruno Latour.

Latour argued that scientists were primarily engaged in a capitalistic type of game- that involves hoarding citations and exploiting graduate assistants and post docs.

Perhaps- "Science" is merely a pretext to engage in this type of douchy behaviour.

This analysis seems true to me for all academic disciplines.

Ruthless and tasteless self promotion seems to be the norm.

Weirdly, business (which is officially supposed to be douchy) actually seems to me to be much more of a meritocracy.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sister does this on social media at what seems every opportunity. Cringe city. I feel embarrassed for her more so than annoyed, but it is fucking annoying. Front door brags, validation seeking, all comes from insecurity so I try to temper my emotional response when I see it so I don’t harbor bad feelings about it. Mostly I just stay away from Facebook where that kind of posting occurs.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
When I was in grad school we studied a guy named Bruno Latour.

Latour argued that scientists were primarily engaged in a capitalistic type of game- that involves hoarding citations and exploiting graduate assistants and post docs.

Perhaps- "Science" is merely a pretext to engage in this type of douchy behaviour.

This analysis seems true to me for all academic disciplines.

Ruthless and tasteless self promotion seems to be the norm.

Weirdly, business (which is officially supposed to be douchy) actually seems to me to be much more of a meritocracy.

That's not been my experience. Although to be fair I only briefly was involved in the high power scientific world. My PhD advisor was great at being a mentor and giving credit where credit was due. I mean he never got his hands dirty in the lab but he was involved in writing manuscripts or at least editing them, and he wrote the grants that paid for everything.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
My sister does this on social media at what seems every opportunity. Cringe city. I feel embarrassed for her more so than annoyed, but it is fucking annoying. Front door brags, validation seeking, all comes from insecurity so I try to temper my emotional response when I see it so I don’t harbor bad feelings about it. Mostly I just stay away from Facebook where that kind of posting occurs.

That may be some of it. I know he is conscious of if not somewhat embarrassed by his humble rural upbringing. I don't harbor any bad feelings to most anyone, it just seems like cringey behavior.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i often see 'i'm so humbled (or blessed or grateful)' from people who are uber keen to talk up an achievement but think that phrase disguises the validation-seeking.

i like hearing about achievements (if it's not every week). Ditch the humblewash though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

I mean, flip a coin to see if your corporate manager is like this. I would say it's pretty typical in the corporate working world.

Take credit for things they didn't or couldn't do due to either ability or even not in their role, always loudest to self congratulate, first to sacrifice headcount to overtime/holidays/weekends and the last to be there to do it, always licking the boots or taint of their superiors.

I mean, pretty typical working world stuff.

It's a lot better where I am now, maybe a dice roll instead of a coin flip.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

I mean, flip a coin to see if your corporate manager is like this. I would say it's pretty typical in the corporate working world.

Take credit for things they didn't or couldn't do due to either ability or even not in their role, always loudest to self congratulate, first to sacrifice headcount to overtime/holidays/weekends and the last to be there to do it, always licking the boots or taint of their superiors.

I mean, pretty typical working world stuff.

It's a lot better where I am now, maybe a dice roll instead of a coin flip.

To be clear I'm not saying this person isn't entirely responsible for and deserving of his awards and accomplishments, it's just weird to me to brag about them on social media.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I value understatement and genuine humility in my academic circles. I've tried to live that way myself, and have been rewarded beyond what I deserve. But, I am also a creature of an earlier generation... my younger colleagues are all more gifted at self promotion than me, thankfully in ways that stop well short of their being jerks. I think for young academics, this is part of the skill set that the modern world requires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I post my new papers on my FB when they get published. I'm friends w a bunch of work colleagues and the reality is it's important to my career to get the work out there. Posting our papers is fairly common in my colleague FB friend group. I do not, however, usually start with "I'm so humbled." I usually go with "I'm excited to announce..."

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread reminds me of the time I posted on FB about single-handedly eating an ENTIRE Costco container of blue cheese. I posted here, too, to maximize adoration. It was awesome. I was so humbled about myself. I had worked on that tub of cheese for 5 or 6 months. I was just diligent, you know?

For personal accomplishments, I say brag it up! Kudos to you!!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I post my new papers on my FB when they get published. I'm friends w a bunch of work colleagues and the reality is it's important to my career to get the work out there. Posting our papers is fairly common in my colleague FB friend group. I do not, however, usually start with "I'm so humbled." I usually go with "I'm excited to announce..."

Exactly, there's a way to do it where it doesn't look like you're in danger of hurting yourself trying to pat yourself on the back.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This thread reminds me of the time I posted on FB about single-handedly eating an ENTIRE Costco container of blue cheese. I posted here, too, to maximize adoration. It was awesome. I was so humbled about myself. I had worked on that tub of cheese for 5 or 6 months. I was just diligent, you know?

We are humbled to be in your presence.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking of organizing a humble parade which, in my humble opinion, is long overdue. Humility is so under-appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
I’m thinking of organizing a humble parade which, in my humble opinion, is long overdue. Humility is so under-appreciated!

I would join, but as a Canadian I am not sure I can. After all, we are too good for that ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: I'm so humbled. I don't think it means what you think it means? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

The ones you have to watch out for are those who takes credit for your work. This type is annoying but mostly harmless.

I had a former direct boss who did both and I left over the issue. I would present operational proposals relating to improving efficiencies, reducing costs, or often both, and within 24 hours he was referring to them as his proposal he’d presented to head office - even in one on one situations. Strangely enough, he was very likeable and gregarious, but an absolute stranger to integrity.

The reason I say this is he also self-promoted shamelessly. This past fortnight there was a spate of articles in the local newspaper and his company’s website/LinkedIn congratulating an “award” this gentleman had received. The “award” was completing a paid course and being “awarded” the course completion certificate. The course is generally viewed as a cynical add-on to biannual training requirements, and not recognised in this part of the world. But to an outsider, this course completion certificate has been dressed up to seem like a prestigious accolade bestowed upon this former colleague, whereas those of us in the industry are utterly bemused by it. In some ways, I admire the bare faced brazenness of it.
Quote Reply