Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you rebuild a city?
Quote | Reply
So Mariupol has been destroyed. Other cities have been leveled in WW2 like Dresden, Hiroshima etc. How do you rebuild an entire city? Where do yo8u start? What are the logistics? How do you rebuild historic buildings? Do you tear everything down and start from zero?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you rebuild a city? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That depends who wins, if Russia wins which I strongly doubt they will.
So when the Ukrainians push the commies out then I suppose it will be a western effort to rebuild.
Since we provided arms to destroy we will be involved in the rebuild ( Mo $$$$)
Sounds like a great opportunity for the insiders to make some big coin, doesn’t Papa Joe and Son have connections in the Ukraine?
Here is a video about Germany spring of 45 and the rebuild.

Last edited by: Constantine: May 21, 22 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How do you rebuild historic buildings?

Probably some would be memorial sites.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is a interesting question

how did Dresden go about it? Or Hiroshima?

I'd assume there was a deliberate effort to rebuild critical infrastructure and then work out from there. But attempts at art?

this is a great question. I hope someone inputs with greater knowledge?

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: How do you rebuild a city? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some guys, like jharris, you can have a legit conversation with at times. Constantine just knows one thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given its location and the fact that Russia is still there, how do you convince people to return?

As Steve said, Dresden is probably the closest comparison. From rubble to a modern city.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

Somewhere in between, Ukraine gets it back but has to secure it with a constant military presence. It's the middle ground that leaves civilians unsafe.

I hope this whole thing is personality-based and once Putin exits the scene, Russia reverts to 1990s settings .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like a great opportunity for the insiders to make some big coin, doesn’t Papa Joe and Son have connections in the Ukraine?

JFC turn off your ballwasher for like 15 seconds. Or do you really want to bring on all the Halliburton responses?

Hey not to worry plenty of dirt on all former Presidents Obama, Clinton and example the Bush family an the long history with the Saudi’s.

https://constantinereport.com/...audi-911-connection/
Quote Reply
Re: How do you rebuild a city? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your ideal plan for how Ukraine might rebuild?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you rebuild a city? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Is that your site?!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: How do you rebuild a city? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:

Is that your site?!

Does he have a newsletter we can subscribe to too?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you rebuild a city? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Given its location and the fact that Russia is still there, how do you convince people to return?

Very much depends what is there for the civilians. What are they returning to? In Croatia many of us had nothing to return to, and many of those who did return left again as they didn't see much future for themselves. Construction jobs will be plentiful, patriots will return at least for a while but let me tell you, if your loved ones have been killed in front of you in your garden it is bloody hard to continue living in that very house. You have seen pile of corpses on the street, very hard to move back there. Emotional connections to places can be very strong. Some will come back no matter what, just to spite the Russians. Once the Russians are beaten back, they will not be in a mood for a war for very long time, if ever. Serbs still dream of Greater Serbia but it is highly unlikely that they will start another war with Croatia, which is also a NATO member. Stirring up trouble in Bosnia, likely.
The key to get people to return is to provide them with jobs, hope and efficient rebuilt. If Ukrainians will be as efficient in rebuilding as in fighting, they have good future and people will return. Corruption, infighting, nepotism, theft... nah, we suffered enough, we don't need that. Go West...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I helped, in a very small way and among many other much more talented people, to develop the plan to rebuild Christchurch after their earthquake. It’s a bit like anything, you have to start with the fundamentals. So first step was demolishing what couldn’t be saved. Then much of the underground infra (power, water, sewer) and the connective infra (bridges/roads). From that it went to social infra, so things like sewer and water plants, schools and hospitals. The next was commercial buildings and into residential. It’s an enormous endeavor that will take a decade or more I’d expect.

Quote | Reply
can't dig into an answer at the moment but will take a couple passes --

Dresden was levelled by bombing, had been filled with beautiful buildings. Postwar they reconstructed the cathedral (town hall?) brick by brick (don't know if this vid is any good but there are others; today Dresden is using the reconstruction as part of its tourist draw)

With London the bombing was more piecemeal which results in the strange situation of beautiful Victorian and older buildings side by side with less beautiful 50s/60s cheapo architecture and some brutalist stuff which I like but many many don't.

they say the London Library still has some old and ignored books that you pick up and open and parts of the bombed building fall out

was walking through Holborn the other week and came across this -- a nice repurposing of bombing rubble. Many many buildings are still pockmarked and won't get fixed, it's history.

Quote Reply
Re: How do you rebuild a city? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very insightful as usual ! two thumbs up

i guess it also helps to "lose" to the USA as we've rebuilt both Ger and Japan although there was some debate over both efforts. However virtually everything in the aftermath of WWII has to be viewed through the prism of the growing Cold War. So it was in our (the West) interests to rebuild Germany and Japan as modern western democracies and industrial powers.

It would behoove us to do the same with the Ukraine at some point here I'd think.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: How do you rebuild a city? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're referring to the Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady) in Dresden. The rebuilt church is now made up of the original stone (black from the fires) and new stone.
Quote Reply