Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can I Run a 5min Mile at Age 50? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Context: I’ve never ran a 5min mile.

More context; I’m 49, turn 50 in September, and took over a year off from running during COVID and have lost a step.

More context: after the success of the 2021 first annual 200/100 challenge, I’ve got some miles back in my legs and hope to run a 2:59:59 marathon in June.

Last context: my greatest running feats are several 1:25s off of hard bikes in a 70.3 and running 2x2mi all out on 5min rest @ 10:40 both times.

E

Without question you can. I was able to run sub 6 doing 4x1 mile intervals on my last one at 50. Maybe one all out I could have gotten 5 low.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Nov 26, 22 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Can I Run a 5min Mile at Age 50? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much would you say run speed falls off from early 20s to early 50s

This may be a good workout for faster Mike running

Quote Reply
Re: Can I Run a 5min Mile at Age 50? [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
stephenj wrote:
Yes.
Do it!
Im going to try as well; I just turned 52. Buddy of mine clocked a 4:48 and his is a big guy that is 53.

Stephen J

Who is your buddy? That is rarefied air at age 53. Would put him top two or three nationally 50-55 age group (for people who run track).

Dan King in CO ran 4:49 at 61. Granted it’s the world record for that age group but it’s also over 10 years older.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I Run a 5min Mile at Age 50? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For comparison at 53 the WR is 4:19:59

https://timesofsandiego.com/...d-record-mile-at-53/

Holy crap!
Quote Reply
Re: Can I Run a 5min Mile at Age 50? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Mile trivia:

• The oldest person to go under four minutes was Eamonn Coghlan of Ireland, who was 41 when he ran 3:58.15. The oldest person to break five minutes was Derek Turnbull of New Zealand, clocking 4:56.4 at age 65. The oldest under six minutes was Scotty Carter of Massachusetts with a 5:57.2 at 75. The oldest under seven minutes was Harold Chapson of Hawaii with a 6:43.3 at age 80.

Quote Reply
Re: Can I Run a 5min Mile at Age 50? [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Double holy crap.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I Run a 5min Mile at Age 50? [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
From Mile trivia:

• The oldest person to go under four minutes was Eamonn Coghlan of Ireland, who was 41 when he ran 3:58.15. The oldest person to break five minutes was Derek Turnbull of New Zealand, clocking 4:56.4 at age 65. The oldest under six minutes was Scotty Carter of Massachusetts with a 5:57.2 at 75. The oldest under seven minutes was Harold Chapson of Hawaii with a 6:43.3 at age 80.

David Carr set the M90 WR this year, running 8:21.3

David currently holds the age records for 1500m, mile, 3000, 5000, 10000 and 2000m steeple, all set his year. He's running an 800 metre this evening, and it's a record he's been coveting, he was a little evasive when I asked him on Sunday if he'll be going for it tonight.

If the wind doesn't pick up too much, the weather looks favourable. I might just head down to the track to see if the magic happens.
Quote Reply

Prev Next