Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Possible allergy to pool chemicals?
Quote | Reply
I've been swimming and doing triathlon for over a decade now. Within the past couple of years, I've noticed that I can get a pretty severe allergic reaction after swimming at my gym's pool. I thought this might have been an isolated event at this particular venue, but it has also happened to me at our city's rec pool too. I know allergies can change with age, but it has gotten to the point that it can often make me very unproductive at work (swim in morning) due to the constant sneezing and runny nose.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do to remedy it? I'll take various antihistamines to address it, but results seem to vary. Any suggestions would be great!
Quote Reply
Re: Possible allergy to pool chemicals? [Stratix11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. About 2 years ago. Big sneezing and runny nose after a swim. I took an Allegra and a couple snorts of Flonaze after each swim and had no symptoms. After a few months, I skipped and was ok - pool allergy gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stratix11 wrote:
I've been swimming and doing triathlon for over a decade now. Within the past couple of years, I've noticed that I can get a pretty severe allergic reaction after swimming at my gym's pool. I thought this might have been an isolated event at this particular venue, but it has also happened to me at our city's rec pool too. I know allergies can change with age, but it has gotten to the point that it can often make me very unproductive at work (swim in morning) due to the constant sneezing and runny nose.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do to remedy it? I'll take various antihistamines to address it, but results seem to vary. Any suggestions would be great!

I experienced something similar, but not exactly the same. When I started training more seriously and first started spending at least a few hours in the pool each week, I would periodically get a kind of odd illness. It was the feeling of coming down with a cold, but not actually getting a full-blown one. I'd be mildly congested, fatigued, and have a slight headache. I'd feel pressure on my sinuses.

It's not something I would have attributed to a pool, but after a while the timing became pretty clear. I traveled for six weeks during which time I was away from the pool and it went away. Later I spent a few months in Florida and swam in an outdoor pool. It still happened but much less frequently. Anyway, long story short, I started using ear plugs and a nose plug and I stopped having the problem. I have no idea if I was having an allergic reaction or if the pool was even the cause, but it definitely went away when I started using the plugs. Since it's about $10 in gear, it might be worth a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m guessing your gym’s pool is indoors? If so, I bet they’re overchlorinating. The problem with indoor pools is that a little extra chlorine can be extremely harsh compared to outdoor pools, which have more of a chlorine buffer because outdoor pools needs stabilizer to protect chlorine from the sun.

I have a pool at home and have tested the pool water in two of our local gyms and our natatorium. As in a chemical geek dropper test. The chlorine levels were always pretty high. I also noticed my swim trunks would fade pretty quickly. No such issues using my home outdoor pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the speedo nose clip for years to get rid of sinus problems. Cheap and it never leaks for me. Definitely better than drugs after every swim that only give partial relief.

https://www.swim2000.com/...XMM-aE0aAkscEALw_wcB
Quote Reply
Re: Possible allergy to pool chemicals? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I’m guessing your gym’s pool is indoors? If so, I bet they’re overchlorinating. The problem with indoor pools is that a little extra chlorine can be extremely harsh compared to outdoor pools, which have more of a chlorine buffer because outdoor pools needs stabilizer to protect chlorine from the sun.

I have a pool at home and have tested the pool water in two of our local gyms and our natatorium. As in a chemical geek dropper test. The chlorine levels were always pretty high. I also noticed my swim trunks would fade pretty quickly. No such issues using my home outdoor pool.

Thank you for the tip. I too have slight problems in the pool lately, and it‘s an indoor pool. I add here I have severe problems in fresh water lakes, that‘s why I do not swim in lakes (salt water is no problem).
But I will shift to the outdoor pool for the rest of the season, maybe I‘ll have less problems there than in the indoor one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
things i found helped
- nettipot after swims and eventually once a week - just to rinse the sinuses
- washing face and eyes with fresh water after swim
- jumping/diving in fresh chlorine free water (sea, lake, river or saline pool) a couple times a week to rinse sinuses
- reducing sugar intake after swim made me sneeze less
- chlorine reduction shampoo for skin and hair
- time, eventually I wasnt as sensitive to it
Quote Reply
Re: Possible allergy to pool chemicals? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same for me. The noseclip literally stopped any symptoms straightaway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the same thing. Comes and goes, is worse after a more intense swim. I've found a bike or run after helps clear things. Doesn't need to be long, but enough to clear out the airways.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible allergy to pool chemicals? [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I might try the nose clip and rinsing the sinuses more before I try more drugs. Probably need to set a phone reminder to do this stuff as well, because if I forgot, my day is usually wrecked!
Quote Reply