Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Erin Baker: legend
Quote | Reply
For those of us who have been around since the early '80s, Erin Baker was a force to be reckoned with:
Erin Baker’s wild ride to world champion | Scratched: Aotearoa’s Lost Sporting Legends | The Spinoff - YouTube

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Erin Baker: legend [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
For those of us who have been around since the early '80s, Erin Baker was a force to be reckoned with:
Erin Baker’s wild ride to world champion | Scratched: Aotearoa’s Lost Sporting Legends | The Spinoff - YouTube

watched that yesterday - brilliant! although you'd never call her warm and fuzzy, she really does come across as a sympathetic character.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Erin Baker: legend [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
LazyEP wrote:

watched that yesterday - brilliant! although you'd never call her warm and fuzzy, she really does come across as a sympathetic character.

first, erin is a sweetheart. you will have no problem being comfortable in erin's company if you are comfortable keeping your own company. i have a lot of affection and respect for the women pros of that era, but i would much rather spend an evening with erin than with just about any of them, because she has more to offer as a person than do most typical pro triathletes.

i think there is something that documentary left out. yes, erin would boycott races that didn't offer equal money. but she went further. back then, you could make a lot of start money. it wasn't that erin was trying to get more money. erin wanted all the women - all her competitors - to have that opportunity. if a race director said, "erin, i'll pay all your travel expenses, and pay you $2,500 to start, and your prize money check will be the same amount as the place you'd have gotten in the men's race," her answer would be, "no, throw all that money into the women's purse and let me earn my money honestly." she was singular in that. no other woman that i know of was as tough and as honest as erin was.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Erin Baker: legend [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well .......... Thanks for posting that link as we enjoyed it too (Erin and I - Scott) and thought it accurately reflected her essential character. And also thanks for bringing me back to the Forum here as its been a few years since I was here and now remember how many fun times i've spent here. Cheers, Scott (Skid)
Quote Reply
Re: Erin Baker: legend [skid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for those kind words Dan. I'll pass them onto Erin. One thing that might help to add context to Erin's actions on the topic of being forceful on the issue of equal prize money - she (as did I) always felt incredibly lucky to be earning any money at all. And we felt so, so fortunate to be earning good money. She wanted that for all the pro's. She knew there was enough to go around and that building the professional part of the sport from the beginning was essential to build it into something worthy of respect from the general public. Cheers, Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My funny story about Erin. My wife & I were in NZ in 1994 & we got to talk with Erin & Scott after the awards ceremony for the ITU world championships. We told them we planned to hike the Routeburn Track and Erin told us we should run it as Scott stood beside her shaking his head NO. As it turned it, there had been a lot of snow that winter and the Routeburn was closed due to possible avalanches, but we were able to hike another route. Best post-race adventure we've ever had!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Scott. That was an excellent little film. I also watched a few more in the series. Great stuff. And it's always interesting to be reminded how huge Le Coq Sportif were in European triathlon at the time. Cheers. Ross.
Quote Reply