Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Citec disc wheel - first impression
Quote | Reply
I really think the Citec disc wheels don't get talked about enough. Got one today and the finish is flawless.

Made in Germany (near Berlin)
DT240 hub
1026 grams with HG hub and tape
No spokes

That would be competitive at the $2000 price point, but they're just 1350€ ($1420). Same price point as the now discontinued (in disc brake) HED Jet Black, but much much lighter.

They are 25mm wide, but that's the same as HED Jet, DT Swiss Disc, Prime 343, and PremierBike. Just 1mm less than a Zipp Super 9 and Aeron X.
Quote Reply
Re: Citec disc wheel - first impression [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the 25mm version new? Can only find their standard 22.5mm version. Bike24 has one of them listed as 25mm, but might be a mistake as inner width is still listed as 18mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I really think the Citec disc wheels don't get talked about enough. Got one today and the finish is flawless.

Made in Germany (near Berlin)
DT240 hub
1026 grams with HG hub and tape
No spokes.

We have the 8000 Ultra Clincher disc, 850 grams with hub and tape! Aero wise it tested as good or a little bit faster (within the measurement error) than a Zipp super 9 in a Plasma 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Citec disc wheel - first impression [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Is the 25mm version new? Can only find their standard 22.5mm version. Bike24 has one of them listed as 25mm, but might be a mistake as inner width is still listed as 18mm.

I think it is a year or two old, now. The 22.5mm version was discontinued and replaced by 25mm. Their site shows the updated profile. I thought the old version was 16 or 17mm internal, though.

I confirmed 25mm it with a caliper when it arrived from bike24 this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

I've got the 22,5 mm version now for many years, and use them not only in races but also in training.
It is still ok, so it must be very sturdy (I weigh 85 kg) regarding the many potholes and braking (I measured 22 mm just now, so there is already condiderable braking wear on the flanges).

Relatively low price, very sturdy and another advantage are the aluminium brake flanges.

I've got the normal version but did not hear anything negative from the ultra version (a bit lighter) either.
Quote Reply
Re: Citec disc wheel - first impression [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the non disc brake version for 4 years, paid around 1000€. Love it.

Only downsides :
- small hole to inflate tubes. Just bought a silca Hiro, the only way to use it is to get a 40mm valve lengh (only michelin air comp latex works, and it is slower than vittoria). The silca crack pipe works for 48mm valves.
- putting a gp5000 on it is a pain. Its doable without tools, but i fear the day I will have to fix a flat in race conditions.

Plus sides :
+ Brake surface is aluminum (discard if disc brake)
+ Price point, quite cheap for the weight and build quality
+ Build quality (its my only rear wheel, for training and ridding even though I do most of my workouts inside)
+ Light (sub 1000g)
+ sound
Quote Reply
Re: Citec disc wheel - first impression [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the updated width, they must've made them easier to mount too. I had no difficulty mounting GP5000 by hand on mine.

Agreed the valve hole could be bigger.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: May 20, 22 11:53
Quote Reply