Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bradenton, Florida
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be spending some time in Bradenton. Has anyone ridden in a place called Robinson Preserve? Just curious if it has decent bike trails. Anyother place to ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Bradenton, Florida [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the legacy trail from Englewood to Sarasota

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/7978327381
https://www.friendsofthelegacytrail.org/map-page-2/

I rode it as far North as Webber Road but it continued on. Google maps shows it goes to Fruitville road (780)

It was a really nice trail but by late morning on the weekend it was getting more traffic. You're not going to be able to blast 25+ mph there but 20-22 is reasonable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live here in Sarasota County and train up in Bradenton almost every weekend. Lakewood Ranch has a thriving cycling community and that is where I would recommend you do your riding. The Legacy trail is awesome for running and low speed cycling but it's not a safe trail to ride on if you're going tucked in aero going 20 + mph, it's too narrow with too many pedestrians and slower/older cyclists. Look up Village Idiots Cycling Club or reach out to Sarasota Storm Triathlon Club.
Quote Reply
Re: Bradenton, Florida [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do enjoy the Legacy Trail, though I agree it's more suited for a recovery bikeride or a run than a hard bike session.

Not sure how far you want to drive from where you're staying, but a couple other places to check out might be the Courtney Campbell Causeway, that crosses from Tampa to Clearwater, and also Ft DeSoto.

When will you be there? A few Ft DeSoto Tri's are hosted throughout the summer, generally sprint and international distances Tri's with duathlons as well. The roads in the park are typically closed for the race, which is nice. Could be a good training race!
Quote Reply
Re: Bradenton, Florida [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm definetly planning to race at Fort Desoto in June. Thanks for the intel on Legacy Trail. Looks like it's the Kicker for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also, forgot in my earlier post -> these types of posts I always like to mention a couple key apps, including AllTrails and TrailLink - then for those interested in off-road stuff TrailForks and MTB Project. Each of these have maps and can use GPS/City/State/etc entry to help find new trails. Relatedly, Garmin Connect also has a "hotspot" type tracker in Connect where you can see that others ride, and Strava as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time trialing pretty easy to do at Nathan Benderson Park just south of Bradenton. Road around it is 3.6 miles and depending time of day, most likely you won’t have to stop at 2 Stop signs. Also you can share an interior multiuse path that is about 3.4 miles in length but will share with walkers, joggers, other bikers, skaters. Benderson hosts rowing events with women’s ncaa there late May which makes it a little more congested. Excellent place for bricks. Look at google map. A bit tedious, but water and restrooms are there.

Also ITU races held here in March.
Last edited by: tyrod1: May 18, 22 19:44
Quote Reply