Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NYC Tri - logistics
Quote | Reply
Signed up for NYC Olympic tri on 7/24 wondering if anyone has insight into the logistics here; looks like the "race" hotel is at 6th Ave and 53rd St; transition is 101st and Riverside; then the finish line is at Naumberg Bandshell which is 72nd and 5th Ave. So I am seeing some logistical issues here:

1) Getting from the hotel to transition at 4am (approx 4.5mi) and/or parking at 101st and Riverside
2) Getting from finish back to transition (about 2.5mi)
3) Returning to hotel after the race....after 2.5mi walk back to transition area....should I just ride my bike??

Currently the FAQ does not address the first or third issues, and recommends "walking or taking a cab" back to transition after the race. This seems like it might be a somewhat chaotic. Not that I am really opposed to walking 2.5 miles back to grab my gear but....

Wondering if anyone has experience and/or insight into the logistics of this event.

much appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri - logistics [MDFWP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless they've really changed the course since I last did the race (which I don't think so from the guide - https://www.nyctri.com/raceinfo/course/ ), transition is more like 75th and Riverside (exact placement depended in the past if you were in yellow or red for the transition zone). Swim start is up in the low 100s (so about 1.5km from the transition area).

1 - if you're okay doing everything the day before, you could try to take a taxi to swim start. Otherwise, join basically everyone else in the walk up Riverside drive from transition to swim start. Some people bring flip flops/old shoes that they ditch at swim start.
2 - it's more like half a mile to a mile back to transition, there have been pedicabs in the past but walking is your best bet
3 - riding/walking is your best option here - probably a mile and a half at most, you might want to walk to go cross town vs riding a tri bike in midtown
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri - logistics [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
Unless they've really changed the course since I last did the race (which I don't think so from the guide - https://www.nyctri.com/raceinfo/course/ ), transition is more like 75th and Riverside (exact placement depended in the past if you were in yellow or red for the transition zone). Swim start is up in the low 100s (so about 1.5km from the transition area).

1 - if you're okay doing everything the day before, you could try to take a taxi to swim start. Otherwise, join basically everyone else in the walk up Riverside drive from transition to swim start. Some people bring flip flops/old shoes that they ditch at swim start.
2 - it's more like half a mile to a mile back to transition, there have been pedicabs in the past but walking is your best bet
3 - riding/walking is your best option here - probably a mile and a half at most, you might want to walk to go cross town vs riding a tri bike in midtown

Agree with everything written above. 1) Taxi is your best go based on where your hotel is. Just expect as you wait for your ride to see drunk kids on the streets coming back from parties. It’s a funny feeling while dressed in Lycra and ready to race. 2) last race before Covid they had buses taking athletes from Central Park west (you just need to walk from the finish line heading west to the end of Central Park) back to transition. 3) get a friend or family member to carry your bags and use the subway, while you ride down 7th Avenue with a medal around the neck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race a few years ago. Don't recall it being that far of a walk from finish to transition to pick up bike and stuff.

Regarding to and from hotel, I guess either taxi, Uber, or subway to start, then either subway or ride your bike back to hotel after race. I had gotten dropped off coming in from Jersey, so don't have first hand experience on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MDFWP wrote:
Signed up for NYC Olympic tri on 7/24 wondering if anyone has insight into the logistics here; looks like the "race" hotel is at 6th Ave and 53rd St; transition is 101st and Riverside; then the finish line is at Naumberg Bandshell which is 72nd and 5th Ave. So I am seeing some logistical issues here:

1) Getting from the hotel to transition at 4am (approx 4.5mi) and/or parking at 101st and Riverside
3) Returning to hotel after the race....after 2.5mi walk back to transition area....should I just ride my bike??

Currently the FAQ does not address the first or third issues, and recommends "walking or taking a cab" back to transition after the race. This seems like it might be a somewhat chaotic. Not that I am really opposed to walking 2.5 miles back to grab my gear but....

Wondering if anyone has experience and/or insight into the logistics of this event.

much appreciated

1) I would highly recommend finding somewhere to stay on the UWS. All of your logistics will be easier. On the day before and morning of. I found a faux Airbnb on Broadway and 96th, it was awesome. Had a nice jog down on race morning. No issues getting to or from transition by bike either.

2) Assuming they are using last years course (where transition was above 95th st in riverside park), it was an adventure to get back from the finish. I had some cash and a change of clothes in my gear drop bag, changed out of my kit, and walked back (and stopped for coffee… twice). It was fun. It would have been significantly less fun in a dirty kit though.

3) ride your bike back or take the train if you stay in the host hotel.

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I did it a couple of times. I believe the transition area is a little different but we stayed at The Hotel Beacon on like 75th and Broadway....

Could walk basically everywhere. Expo, transition, from the finish line.

The rooms are small and they don't allow the bikes in the rooms, but they offered one of the conference rooms and everyone staying there was able to store their bike before and after the race and they kept the room locked....you had to ask to get in and grab your bike.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MDFWP wrote:

yes. ride the bike.

Currently the FAQ does not address the first or third issues, and recommends "walking or taking a cab" back to transition after the race. This seems like it might be a somewhat chaotic. Not that I am really opposed to walking 2.5 miles back to grab my gear but.... Get citibike app you can always use that.

much appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri - logistics [Hurrikate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the recommendation to stay on the UWS is highly misguided. I live on the UES and, when I last did the race, I took an uber from the UES and got there in 10 minutes. at 4 to 4:30am, the streets are empty (other than drunks and ubers driving the drunks) and you can hit every light. you are much better off staying in a hotel you like that is quiet(ish) and taking an uber to the start than staying in a dump on the UWS that you can walk from (which walk will take the same amount of time as ubering from elsewhere). just don't stay downtown (far away). you can walk back to transition after the race. it's a little more than a mile but most people do it. if you are wrecked, you can take an uber but you still will be walking a lot because the transition area is multiple blocks long.
Quote Reply