Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canadian Stuff: BC's Top Tri Town
Quote | Reply
Which is it, Penticton or Victoria?
One has the national training centre, the other Ironman.
Hear Ironman World Champion, Kevin Cutjar faceoff against Victoria Half Race Director, Paul Regensburg.

live at http://www.fitspeek.com

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Stuff: BC's Top Tri Town [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't even need to listen to it to know that it is Penticton...No contest.....and I have lived in both towns.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Stuff: BC's Top Tri Town [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When factoring in forest fires....Victoria wins easily. (I hate smoke)

If you're training for IM, I can see how Penticton wins easily.
If you're training for DL, or for running/bike racing, I think Victoria wins. But not by as wide of a margin.

I think the big winner is anyone in either town. As they are both nicer than a whole bunch of places people live and train.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Stuff: BC's Top Tri Town [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but listen, pleaaaaase listen =)

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
but listen, pleaaaaase listen =)

Hahahaha...I did listen..Kevin should have pointed out that a fancy Commonwealth Games pool might look good but doesn't mean much really,just ask Lionel and the other folks who share that shit pool that the Aquabears train in down in Arizona.

I once asked Steve King what was his greatest moment in commentating and he said it was in Victoria 1994,calling Kieren Perkins, as the in pool commentator, to the 800m and the 1500m world record during the same swim.

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: May 17, 22 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Stuff: BC's Top Tri Town [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
If you're training for IM, I can see how Penticton wins easily.
If you're training for DL, or for running/bike racing, I think Victoria wins. But not by as wide of a margin.

What does the race distance have anything do to with it?
A good training area for triathlon is good for all distances.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Stuff: BC's Top Tri Town [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some roads are better for long TT work.
Victoria has nice riding, but it's hard to find sections to settle into the bars for hours on end. Let alone 20 minutes.

Obviously people have been successful at both styles of racing in Victoria, but most folks coming out of Penticton tend to be long course focused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
Some roads are better for long TT work.
Victoria has nice riding, but it's hard to find sections to settle into the bars for hours on end. Let alone 20 minutes.

Obviously people have been successful at both styles of racing in Victoria, but most folks coming out of Penticton tend to be long course focused.

Bah. Training for hours on end in your TT position is such a marginal thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lived in Penticton for 43 yrs and have never lived in Victoria, so I can safely say it is definitely Penticton:)

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the road biking scene like on Victoria/Vancouver Island? Are there good roads with bike lanes or minimal traffic? I might be visiting there soon and want to go riding. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Stuff: BC's Top Tri Town [natewalsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been to Victoria last year and wanted to ride aero… no way! The traffic was too heavy, the shoulders too narrow or dirty
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Stuff: BC's Top Tri Town [trivadim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm interesting. Some local should chime in here

Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Stuff: BC's Top Tri Town [trivadim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In and around the city, I agree that getting into the aero bars for any length of time can be work but what city isn't?

Have a look at the Vic 70.3 course, particularly as it heads north along the eastern side of the Saanich Peninsula. There you'll find cycling friendly roads (rural, farmland) and more opportunities to stay in the bars. For example, on my ride just this afternoon, my coach called for a 60 minute segment in the bars; so I made a 2 loop course from Mount Newton X-Road, up to the first roundabout in Sydney, then out to the airport and back. No stops, flat terrain, saw as many other cyclists as I did motorists and important to your question, mostly (~95%) in aero.

Building on that, there are further opportunities on low-traffic, rural roads from Central Saanich through to Lands End Road.

Leaving Victoria, but staying on the Island, there is good riding in the Cowichan Valley (45 km north); again rural, not in a population centre.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Stuff: BC's Top Tri Town [natewalsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natewalsh wrote:
What is the road biking scene like on Victoria/Vancouver Island? Are there good roads with bike lanes or minimal traffic? I might be visiting there soon and want to go riding. Thanks!

Hi natewalsh,

Beyond looking at a heat map on Garmin Connect or Strava, here is an idea of some of the popular routes/areas for road riding in Victoria; it is the Ryder Hesjedal’s Tour de Victoria 140 km route:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38522886

That route takes in the rural areas of the Western Communities (hilly), Munn/Ross Durance (honest climb) then over to Cordova Bay for spin south to "The Waterfront" (touristy Victoria at its best).

To get a further sense of what is popular, the spin up to Lands End Road, north of Sidney is popular with cyclists of all abilities.

Hope you make it to Victoria and enjoy.
Quote Reply