Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Being coached or not [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming back to the being coached topic, one of the reasons I haven't gotten a coach is that I've developed a decent system for selecting which workouts to do based how much free time I have (I have young kids) and how I'm feeling (HRV and subjective scores). I don't train with a set plan with rest days, but have a few key workouts planned over the week and then mold the week based on how the body responds. Any coach that I bring on is going to have to add value and be involved enough to override either how I'm feeling or HRV scores that come up - and usually within a few mins because I measure HRV first thing in the morning and second thing is the AM workout. (e.g. if HRV + then intensity, if HRV = then Z2, if HRV - then Z1, if HRV --- then day off)

Now a coach will absolutely be better than I would when it comes to picking key workouts to do before a race, and how to structure that over the course of a year. But from a day to day perspective, the coach would have to be pretty involved (read: expensive). I realize what I'm doing is self-coaching and adapting plans based on how the body is responding, and I rarely miss a workout unless the body/HRV is calling for it.

Or am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive skimmed a lot of this.

some great points.

One thing that comes up a lot is the "plan" part. Trouble is, plans fail. a good coach is always PLANNING and this is different.

I actually think the daily schedule part is WAY down the list of "why' when you hire a professional coach.

Things like personality sync, modern training methods and practices discussions, equipment and gear selection and usage. a wee bit of of sports psychology. etc etc.

I talk to my athletes a lot, daily really. and we discuss any and all of the above - we then CHANGE the "plan" as needed or move forward. Its a constant "if/then" relationship that we are rolling along with the goal of peak performance.

carry on.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Being coached or not [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had narrowed it down to 2 coaches and I ended up going with the one who I felt I had I better connection with. Plus I chatted with him for a long time on the phone and I think that is where it clicked. We are using training peaks and I get daily feedback plus he is adjusting the plan as he sees fit based on the feedback and the data from me.

But he told me he is always reachable - I however am not very needy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well there ya go! personality sync, FTW

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I however am not very needy.

i think this is probably a big part of why coaching didn't work that well for me - i'm not so needy/communicative, rather i'm inclined, when given a programme, to just do it. when planning my own training i am responsive to how i'm feeling and adapt as appropriate but i'm not good at communicating that to someone else. i guess i'm not a team player which makes triathlon ideal, but coaching is really a team thing regardless of the sport.
Quote Reply

Prev Next