Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie Alert--Chattanooga 70.3
Quote | Reply
Hi,

First time doing an official IM. The closest hotel room I could get is 1.3 miles south of transition. More specifically I am staying at the Kinley hotel for those of you that know where that is.

What is the best way to get to transition? I am assuming several roads will be blocked off for the race.

Should I just walk/ride my bike to transition? Will there be plenty of parking closer to transition?

Thoughts? Comments much appreciated!

Also, anything else to help prepare me for the Chattanooga 70.3? Tips?

Thanks for the feedback!!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Alert--Chattanooga 70.3 [GildedStallion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I did it, the roads immediately south of the transition area were open. The run is along the river to the east, and the bike exists to the west. I had no problem finding street parking near transition. But I had a backup in that my wife could drop me off if we could not find parking.

You will rack your bike the day before, so riding your bike to transition will not be an option.

If you wanted to be totally conservative, just plan to walk it. But, you could probably gamble and find street parking closer than 1.3 miles without a great deal of risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can drive from the south downtown area to within one block of transition. There is a parking deck within 2 blocks of transition and other paid, on street parking. The Facebook page has plenty of information and be sure to read the online Athlete guide as well. Here is one tip: there are railroad tracks within a mile or so of bike exit so be prepared for bottles, nutrition, tires, etc. on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this race a fair bit and planning on staying further away too. I don't anticipate having an issue parking downtown coming in the morning off one of the highways. Maybe by the time race starts, but otherwise there will be plenty of parking.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Alert--Chattanooga 70.3 [Rocking Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocking Rob wrote:
Here is one tip: there are railroad tracks within a mile or so of bike exit so be prepared for bottles, nutrition, tires, etc. on the road.
This is real. When I did the race last, I lost all my nutrition on the tracks out of town. To OP: be sure to have very secure water bottles on your bike, like XLAB Gorilla Cage or Profile Design Kage.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Alert--Chattanooga 70.3 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I have been hearing. I am already paranoid about my wheels already. I don't know why.

How many aid stations are there on the bike course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your wheels should be fine. The roads are bumpy, but nothing for normal wheels.

There are usually 3 aid stations on most IM courses - 15 miles. Chattanooga has them at 15 miles, 30 miles, and ~47 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Rocking Rob wrote:
Here is one tip: there are railroad tracks within a mile or so of bike exit so be prepared for bottles, nutrition, tires, etc. on the road.
This is real. When I did the race last, I lost all my nutrition on the tracks out of town. To OP: be sure to have very secure water bottles on your bike, like XLAB Gorilla Cage or Profile Design Kage.

How about on the frame?

Elite Crono bottles... likely to fall off? I was already thinking of rubber banding them on for the initial run through town. Probably would break the band so wouldn't help on the return, though.

Maybe I should use round cages...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also I have been hearing that although there are drafting rules they don't really enforce them except for nonprofessionals and age groupers. Is this true? Sounds like the bike is fairly relaxed rules on drafting.
Last edited by: GildedStallion: May 10, 22 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Alert--Chattanooga 70.3 [cielo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not familiar with those and how tightly they secure the bottles. Also, it seems like BTS bottles would be the most vulnerable, since the sit directly above the rear axle and would bear the full shock of the bumpy pavement. Bottles in the triangle would feel about 1/2 the shock. Also, you may be OK without rubber bands on the return, since they are likely to be empty or nearly empty by then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good points! Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GildedStallion wrote:
Also I have been hearing that although there are drafting rules they don't really enforce them except for nonprofessionals and age groupers. Is this true? Sounds like the bike is fairly relaxed rules on drafting.

If they enforce the drafting rules on everyone except the pros, I think you mean “not” relaxed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most ironman races have too many competitors to have a legal bike race due to the amount of people entering the bike course between a certain time frame and riding a certain speed. For instance, if you followed the rule to the letter of the law, if you got passed at mile 1 of the bike you could almost sit up and just stop on the side of the road til everyone passed you and you cleared their draft zone and start riding again an hour later. It would be the only way to ride "legal" but impossible to race. I feel like the referees understand this and try to hand out drafting penalties based on intent so you can still have a "race". The front of the race may be refereed a little tighter than the back of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not think that is true. I got a drafting penalty at Chattanooga. Lucy Charles got a drafting penalty in the WC 70.3 in Nice a few years ago. Monitoring drafting is difficult and resource-intensive. And this is a hot topic fueled by a lot of confirmation bias. They key is to pay attention to the drafting rules and then do not draft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the water temp?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Alert--Chattanooga 70.3 [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fluctuating around 70 degrees currently. It has been a nice cool Spring here in Chattanooga. Water is a little cooler than the norm. Temps are going to warm up this week into the 90s Thursday and Friday. 50% chance of rain on Sunday.
Last edited by: r-b: May 18, 22 4:57
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Alert--Chattanooga 70.3 [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know if there are volunteers on course that have sunscreen? First time doing this and I heard it on a podcast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not know about sunscreen being available on course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GildedStallion wrote:
Hi,

First time doing an official IM. The closest hotel room I could get is 1.3 miles south of transition. More specifically I am staying at the Kinley hotel for those of you that know where that is.

What is the best way to get to transition? I am assuming several roads will be blocked off for the race.

Should I just walk/ride my bike to transition? Will there be plenty of parking closer to transition?

Thoughts? Comments much appreciated!

Also, anything else to help prepare me for the Chattanooga 70.3? Tips?

Thanks for the feedback!!

There's a parking garage right beside the transition area. There are a lot of cars parking there on race morning and I do not recall anyone ever having a problem fiding a spot.

If you really want to be close to transition, wait til you arrive and consider booking one of the hotels (Courtyard by Marriott or Hilton Garden Inn, for example) near transition. Yes, they are likely sold out now but every time I've done the 70.3 or 144.6 there's been signs out front of these hotels saying "rooms available". I assume its where people cancel last minute. But, be prepared to pay a steep price for the luxury of being so close.
Quote Reply