Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Better call Saul - final season [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
There are 4 episodes remaining. Other than bringing Heisenberg and Jesse into the picture I don’t know what they are going to do.

for a spoiler - look at the cast list for the next episode (and i'm not talking about Carol Burnett, although that is a surprise).

"Better Call Saul" Nippy (TV Episode 2022) - IMDb
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
davec wrote:
I hope there is more to Kim’s story. Anti climatic if she just leaves.

He is in Omaha and she from Nebraska do who knows it might have a Hollywood ending.

I totally started thinking that’s what’s going to happen in the final episode. They gave Jesse a happy ending in the movie; I think Saul is getting one too.
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed the point of the latest episode.

Saul still has the need for the thrill of the game, okay.

Nice to see that Carol Burnett is still alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gene reverted to Slippin' Jimmy. Jimmy still has the need for the thrill of the game. Jimmy rejected Saul.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
I missed the point of the latest episode.

Saul still has the need for the thrill of the game, okay.

Nice to see that Carol Burnett is still alive.

I think that's part of what makes the show so good. Hawley isn't afraid to spend time setting something up with a slow build. Not every episode is a shootout. I suspect looking back at the end, this episode will make much more sense.

Remember, there was an entire episode of BB dedicated to a fly.
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One episode remaining.

Saul is on the run. Where does he go? Does Kim still have a role to play? Probably not based on their last interaction.

Does Saul get his deserved ending ala Heisenberg? Or does he live to grift again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
One episode remaining.

Saul is on the run. Where does he go? Does Kim still have a role to play? Probably not based on their last interaction.

Does Saul get his deserved ending ala Heisenberg? Or does he live to grift again?

1:38 minutes tonight, can't wait.

My wife is out of town and she asked if I was going to wait until she got home to watch it with her. Pffft...no chance.

Wild guess, Saul goes to prison to take the heat off Kim and Kim goes back to being a lawyer.

If anything bad happens to Kim I'm going to have to post to the, "how angry do you get" thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
davec wrote:
One episode remaining.

My wife is out of town and she asked if I was going to wait until she got home to watch it with her. Pffft...no chance.

Wild guess, Saul goes to prison to take the heat off Kim and Kim goes back to being a lawyer.

If anything bad happens to Kim I'm going to have to post to the, "how angry do you get" thread.

Good call. Enjoyed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [iBot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iBot wrote:
Thom wrote:
davec wrote:
One episode remaining.

Good call. Enjoyed it.

trying to keep the comments spoiler free. although does not seem to be many followers here in the LR

Very much enjoyed that last episode! Amazingly well written and hard to believe they fit that into an hour episode.

right up to 2/3 of the way through still not sure how it would all resolve.

Stuck the landing - one more time.
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [sweathog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
86'd

To get rid of, originally for killing someone. The phrase "80 miles out and 6 feet under" was reserved for someone who had to dig their own grave 80 miles from civilization and then get shot execution-style. All terms for 86'd originated from this, be it alcohol or eliminating.
It's supposed that Jimmy Hoffa was 86'd under the endzone of Giants Stadium.
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A perfect ending. Possibly the best ending of any multi season show I’ve seen. Jimmy McGill was quite the tragi-comic figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For whatever reason I dragged my heels on watching this show. I’m on S2E1 and loving it.

Today’s exercise in self control is not reading through the spoilers in this thread.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
For whatever reason I dragged my heels on watching this show. I’m on S2E1 and loving it.

Are you watching it at home, or are you watching it while you drive?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Today’s exercise in self control is not reading through the spoilers in this thread.

Are you a fan of Breaking Bad? If so, there are great Easter-eggs and references throughout. Although, depending on how long ago you watched BB, you may miss many of those. If not a fan of BB, this show still works on its own.

DO NOT read this thread! I think we tried to behave ourselves for a week or two after an episode release - but then discussed much of what was happening. IMO, much of what is great about this show is how the show revealed the information over time - and as important what it withheld to reveal later.

My son ended up liking Better Call Saul more than Breaking Bad. I still give Breaking Bad a slight advantage.

The show, Bob Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn are all up for an Emmy again this year. I'm not sure how Rhea doesn't win.

If you are just getting into season two, there is so much more to enjoy!! have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

It was a tough slog through some of those episodes early on.
One of those series that really rewards you for sticking with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [sweathog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finished Better Call Saul, then went right into watching Breaking Bad a second time.
Seeing Saul in BB without the whole Slippin Jimmy backstory is an interesting take. I’m up to season 3, and so far Saul has been mainly one dimensional, a great character, but not the complex one he plays in BCS.

Also, seeing BB again, I forgot how many times Jesse screwed the pooch by being dumb. And Walt is actually kind of a dick, almost bi-polar at times. Great shows both of them.

…
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
finally put the last three episodes to bed last night. what a great series that i want to rewatch because i got kind of tangled in the timelines, and because it's just so good.

am i crazy or is that Red from Shawshank sitting on the prison bus at :30 ?

Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m halfway through the final season now. I didn’t think they could top the final scene with Nacho but then I saw the Plan and Execution episode with Howard and Lalo.

Gut punch.

This is a fantastic series.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I’m halfway through the final season now. I didn’t think they could top the final scene with Nacho but then I saw the Plan and Execution episode with Howard and Lalo.

Gut punch.

Part 2 of season 6, which are the episodes following Plan and Execution, are dark compared to the rest of the series. BCS was always a bit more light, fun, and good natured compared to Breaking Bad but Season 6 Part 2 has a darker, more serious Breaking Bad vibe.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Gut punch.

We went through it this spring. I had read a lot of spoilers but I had not read that. Caught me completely by surprise.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finished the last four episodes last night. Outstanding finish but hard to watch at times.

A couple thoughts/questions/spoilers...

The final scene with Carol Burnett (GREAT casting BTW) really nailed the descent of Jimmy/Saul, where it appeared he was prepared to physically hurt an old woman to save himself, after spending his legal career immersed in the minutia of their fragile lives. His last minute unwillingness to do so hinted at his ultimate fate, that the shred of decency in his heart would lead to his death in prison but ultimate salvation.

How in the world did Lalo get that one line reference in BB without the writers creating this entire story arc in advance and keeping it in pocket? Also phenomenal casting; Dalton stole every scene and it wasn't even close. In fact, this may be the runaway best cast I've seen in a series, including BB. Stellar in every major role.

The final courtroom scene put a nice twist on Jimmy's head fake performances, harkening back to his law board reinstatement speech about his brother, which Kim and the viewer initially thought to be sincere. His "showtime" whisper before facing the federal judge gave the impression he was headed in that direction before his final slight of hand that destroyed his plea bargain for the sake of Kim and the people he hurt. I had no idea where he was going with it, which was essentially the story of Jimmy McGill. So very well done. I have to watch again to appreciate the finer details but I'm wondering if that actually helped Kim from the legal perspective or just gave her peace knowing that what she could not forget wouldn't be forgotten or concealed any longer.

Her breakdown on the bus in "waterworks" was a long time coming. It bothered me a little that it came after she put herself in legal jeopardy with her confession; it would have been more meaningful if it preceded it and removed the self pity potential. But even so, it's understandable to feel self pity when you realize you've destroyed lives, including your own, for no good reason whatsoever.

Seeing Howard and Lalo entombed in that hole inside a hole was a powerful shot, distilling the horrors of the series to one poignant moment: there are no winners in this game and no divine justice keeping the innocent safe from harm.

Last edited by: sphere: Aug 11, 23 5:22
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot to mention, the final scene with Walter White where they're discussing regret, was this a flashback to a BB scene or a new fictional encounter representing something akin to fate? The transition from Jimmy on the jail cot to waking up in what looked like a cell with Walter seemed to me a representation of Hell where they both earned their place to torment each other.

Either way, another perfectly placed and played scene.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Forgot to mention, the final scene with Walter White where they're discussing regret, was this a flashback to a BB scene or a new fictional encounter representing something akin to fate? The transition from Jimmy on the jail cot to waking up in what looked like a cell with Walter seemed to me a representation of Hell where they both earned their place to torment each other.

Either way, another perfectly placed and played scene.

It ties into the next to last episode of BB:

“Granite State” was Breaking Bad’s penultimate episode, marking Saul Goodman’s final appearance on the show. After Hank’s death and with Walter White exposed as Heisenberg following the events of “Ozymandias,” Walter and all of his associates became America’s most wanted criminals – and that included Saul Goodman. Both Saul and Walter then hired Ed’s cleaner vacuum service, that is, a ticket to a new life far away from Albuquerque with a new identity. However, before Saul could go to Nebraska and Walt could go to New Hampshire, the former partners had to spend a few days hiding in Ed’s secret bunker, a significant time period that Breaking Bad never really explored except for one small scene.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I've forgotten more about that show than I remember. Time to revisit while Saul is still fresh in my head.

I read this today, from NPR. Great analysis of the scene and how it fit the mission of the finale.

Quote:
Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul tell a different tale. In these shows, the antiheroes are forced to face the toxic truth about themselves, ultimately taking responsibility for the pain they have created as a final admission to those who love them and realized the truth about them long before they did.

My thinking on this is influenced by a conversation I had with Vince Gilligan many years ago. We were hanging out at a press reception for Breaking Bad, which was still several seasons from its end. I noted how much I was enjoying watching this show about the slow curdling of a man's soul, as a high school chemistry teacher dying of cancer morphed into a ruthless, boundlessly wealthy meth manufacturer.

Gilligan, who has a well-deserved reputation as one of the nicest showrunners in TV, gently corrected me. What if, he suggested, you saw the story as slowly revealing something about Walter White that was already there? Perhaps what's really happening is that all the things in society which kept him in check are slowly falling away, and he's flowering into the controlling, ruthless narcissist he always was at his core?

This is why Saul's questions about regret, featured in two crucial scenes from the finale, mean so much. In flashbacks, he asks two of the franchise's other antiheroes – Jonathan Banks' Mike Ehrmantraut and Bryan Cranston's acerbic Walter White, in another inspired cameo – what they would change about their lives if they had a time machine.

White acidly and correctly points out that Saul is really asking about regret. In other words: What would you undo in your life, if you could?

Mike wanted to undo the moment he took his first bribe as a cop. Walt wanted to take back his decision to walk away from a successful company he created, leading to a bruised ego which fueled all his subsequent dysfunction.

Saul's answers were always about making more money, executing a better scam, finding a better way to come out on top. And comparing his answers to his compatriots, Saul (and viewers) could see something important was missing.

The series began with Jimmy McGill desperate to prove that everyone in his life who saw him as a loser had it all wrong. And it ended with a bravura finale showing Saul Goodman realizing those people were more right about him than he wanted to admit.

That is the stuff of legendary television.

Quote Reply
Re: Better call Saul - final season [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also interesting is the parallel of Odenkirk's heart attack during the filming of Point and Shoot, where the consequences of Jimmy's reckless lifestyle come unexpectedly to bear in the most harrowing way he and his wife had yet to experience. He was pulseless for 18 minutes, if the reports are correct, and somehow managed to recover and carry on production. That's incredible, and an incredible coincidence.

Quote Reply

Prev Next