Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tubulars: The Facts. [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett asked:

<Honest question, I'm not trying to stir any pots: What does one do with the flatted tire? Leave it on the side of the road and pick up later? If speed of changing tires during a race is the issue, wouldn't this make more sense? Or, do you stuff it in a back pocket and finish the course?>

In the U.S. you best take it with you, lest you end up with an abandoned equipment penalty. We don't know you plan to go back.

David Schoonmaker

Cat. 1 USA Triathlon official
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars: The Facts. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't remember the last time I had a pinch-flat. The last time I had a flat in a race was due to a "goathead" thorn, one of those nasty two-pronged things. Didn't thorns spring up after Adam and Eve ate that apple? About a third of the racers got flats. I understand that a tubular is much faster to fix, but are they any more resistant to thorns and glass? Are flats the inevitable consequence of sin?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars: The Facts. [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
if you have a clincher tire that gets a small hole or rip in it, you can put all the new tubes in that tire you want to, but it'll eventually poke its way through the rip and flat itself again.
Two words: tire boot.

Not an issue.

Ken Lehner

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars: The Facts. [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Two words: tire boot.

And -- tire boots cost a dollar. Well, in fact, they ARE a dollar.

A dollar bill folded over makes a very nice tire boot for clincher rips up to a half inch or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars: The Facts. [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julian,

I have used a folded dollar bill before it works great...

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply

Prev Next