Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard
Quote | Reply
So me and Sergio figured that if Lance was coming to our backyard, the least we could do was to go down and check him out. So we loaded up our bikes in the car and headed south with some friends.

We got to the start of the TT real early and went for a ride. The TT route is a real dangerous road while open, with too much traffic, so we headed north into a massive headwind. After 40mins I was dropped and came back :-) The start area was buzzing with activity now, the team vans starting to arrive and putting the bikes and trainers out. Meanwhile Sergio arrived and we mainly hanged out around the Rabobank van, those Colnagos are very, very sweet... too bad for the components though ;-)

The USPS bus was one of the last to arrive, but had a spot right by the start area. We immediatly went over where it was and got a "place" right by the door. The bikes were out and we were able to be around them for a while, to check out the little differences and such. Hincapie's TT bike is very sweet. It's an aluminum frame and it looks great, too bad they don't sell them. I actually prefer those frames to the TTT. Lance's old TTT bike was there too, picking it up anf feeling its weight while remembering the '03 TdF time trials was one of the high points of the day.

After some minutes the first riders to go started to emerge from the bus, namely George Hincapie. After a while, José Azevedo and Floyd Landis went for a short ride. Even though Azevedo was racing at home, he was very focused and professional while some shouted some incentive words. Then finally Lance came out of the bus. The crowd around the bus just went "OH!" when he came out, which I thought was really funny... he stared at the crowd for a moment and then went behind the bus to get his bike and go for a short ride. I had seen Lance last year in Liege and this time he looked to be a bit heavier and of course much heavier than in the TdF every year.

After some minutes he came back and went behind the bus unnotticed by the crowd. I happened to spot him and went behind the bus too. He got the bike in the rollers and continued his warmup, while me, Sergio and a few friends sat in the ground maybe two meters from him, just in awe and respect. After a while that moment ended when the crowd in front of the bus figured that he was out in the back and started to arrive. He continued his warmup and we got some pics of him in the aero position. Also some close-ups of the new bike, which is basically the same as the old one except for the german school aerobars. Other details were the old DA brakes, the SRM cranks and the SRM computers taped to the aerobars.

Finally the warmup was done and Sheryl Crow came up to chat with Lance a bit. Then he took the warmup clothing off and headed to the start area. We then moved to the first bend of the TT route, some 200m after the start. A few minutes later Lance's time came up. It was great to see him whiz by with those hungry eyes you see so many times on tv :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great report Paulo!!! Wish I were there! Do you have a link to the photos??

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool report, thanks. It reminds me of when the 1996 Tour DuPont came to Town. I don't think I have ever been so excited in my whole life.
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll try to have some pics up on Sergio's site by tomorrow, we'll drop a note here if we do. Or maybe a private message, otherwise it will get lost among the tubular vs clincher sillyness.

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome - pls post the link when you get pics up. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool, I wish I was there!

I can host the pictures if you send them to me. I messaged you my email.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As promised (with a bit of delay of course), here are some pictures of the Algarve Tour TT and the fat man (Lance :-)) warming up.

http://sergiomarques.home.sapo.pt/fotos3.htm

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the portuguese comments but i still don´t have an english version running :-(

S�rgio Marques
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool pics man. Great report paulo :)
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pictures!

I think this is the best picture of his position so far.

Man the marketing peeps must go crazy on how we spend so much time discussing his position.b

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sergio - did you do a 8:44 IM FL?
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [Bru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
errrrrrr yeah, 8:44.53 to be precise ;-)

S�rgio Marques
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice pics of that bike rider guy -- but where the hell are the Sheryl Crow pictures!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't tell anyone but... Sergio was taking the pics and he got so excited with seeing Lance at close range that by the time Sheryl came up... he was out of film! :-)))

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sergio wrote:

OK I was searching for THE Sergio Thread....but this Lance thread came up.

Dammit, next thing you know we'll have Lance trying to race age group LOL!

Hey all kidding aside, I was trying to find "The Sergio" thread and this came up from your early days. Congrats on your win at Kona 2019 so many years later.....that fast time in Florida was a long long long time ago (2003?) and you actually improved your results now as an "older guy".
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got so confused for a second...

"Sheryl Crow and Lance.."

"USPS..."

I was having Mid-2000's flashbacks and trying to understand how any of that made sense in 2019. Alas, this was 15 years ago haha

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Confused Fitness Addict -- Biker first, Nutrition second, everything else third.
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
sergio wrote:

Hey all kidding aside, I was trying to find "The Sergio" thread and this came up from your early days. Congrats on your win at Kona 2019 so many years later.....that fast time in Florida was a long long long time ago (2003?) and you actually improved your results now as an "older guy".

it took me 12 seconds to find the thread you're looking for deploying our useless search tool.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sergio now has three threads on the front page dedicated to him. That’s something only Lionel could match

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Me, Sergio and Lance in our backyard [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
sergio wrote:

it took me 12 seconds to find the thread you're looking for deploying our useless search tool.

Yeah, but I one upped you....I found a thread about Lance + Sergio + Cheryl Crow + an 8:44 neo pro time!!!!
Quote Reply