Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Snow Running Shoes - Brooks Ghost Wearer
Quote | Reply
Hi All - Seeking some input for snow runs. I generally run on paved surfaces that have not been cleared of snow. Usually this is nuisance snow like 1-2" and assorted slush. I currently run in Brooks Ghost and, while I love the shoe, they do terrible in the snow.

From what I've read, most folks suggest trail running shoes for the snow. Would something like Hoka's Speedgoat 4 be so different from the Brooks Ghost my legs will hate me? I've seen other runners recommend Brooks Cascadia, Brooks Catamount, and Saucony's Peregrine.

Suffice to say there are plenty of options out there, but curious what would be similar to Brooks Ghost. I don't want to get shoes that jack up my feet/legs. My local running store doesn't carry trail shoes.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Quote Reply
Re: Snow Running Shoes - Brooks Ghost Wearer [bbdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've only had a couple of pairs of brooks over the past several years, so i'm not sure i can speak too well to their fit these days.

but i've been wearing saucony peregrines for years, and am a big fan. outstanding traction in snow/ice/muck, in canadian (cold and icy) winters, and swiss town (slush) and alpine (powder) runs.

they come in a goretex version if you're expecting big weather, but i find a bit of waterproofing spray on the 'summer' version works pretty well for moderate conditions.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yaktrax or similar are the easiest, but do wear out if you use them a lot.

"Screw shoes" also work incredibly well, you can google it to make your own on the cheap. I used these a ton in heavy snow and black ice and they were amazing for traction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will use my speedgoats when it snowy and slippery, but not icy. They do pretty well on pavement for a trail shoe.

I have the cascadias as well, but am not a huge fan. Pretty firm on pavement.

If it's icy, yaktrax or those cleat/screws are your best bet. Trail shoes have less contact surface and have even less traction.
Last edited by: ADabs: Jan 26, 22 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of the Brooks Cascadia 16 GTX trail runners that I use for winter running. So far, the shoes have been ideal for running on snowy/icy pavement, but I have not tried running on trails yet. The shoe fits well with my high arches, and you need to size up one half size. The sole is much stiffer than my normal running shoes, and the goretex keeps your feet dry. Coming from a Brooks Ghost, I think these will work well for you.

I like these shoes so much, I will use them for short hikes instead of hiking boots. As always, your mileage may vary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I will go for a trail shoe if it's up to a few inches of soft snow. Slush/ice is just plain dangerous. I also know what roads near me get plowed exceptionally well so will use a 3ish mile loop if I need to because I know it'll be dry & salted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do most of my snow running on trails. I find that my Hoka Torrents give me plenty of grip. I never feel that I am going to slip in them. On pavement I find that they do not give me enough grip.

I have just ordered some Yaktrax for when I need to run on snow on pavement/road.
Quote Reply
Re: Snow Running Shoes - Brooks Ghost Wearer [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the suggestions. Think I'm going to try the YakTrax first as they're a lot cheaper than trail shoes that I'll only use ~30 times a winter.

I've also heard a lot about Ice Bugs. They look great. Anyone had success with them? It's like a trail shoe, but with studs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are actually looking for similar, the Ghost is available in a GTX version. Put some screws in the bottom, and it would be a great winter running shoe. I use the carbine screw ins from La Sportiva in some of my running shoes (Calderas and Speedgoats mostly, but I run off road too), but just sheet metal screws seem to work fine too for grip on ice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Balance Hierro V6 Gore-Tex.

Aggressive lugs, very water/snow resistant, warm, and if you use traction aids (for icy roads & trails) the extension at rear of the sole secures them nicely.
Quote Reply