Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Love Lionel but can't help but wonder if he looks at IMFL where he fell off the run and Iden held pace. With Blus run there may be a new standard in running and Lionel doesn't want to stay with front pack only to watch another Lange pass him in the past 5k to win Kona.

Been following Ari for a while. He strong on the bike so not just a strong runner, but yeah, running is obviously his strength.

I think that the way he is training now (and he really has just transformed his training) and seeing the gains would be more optimism than pessimism. The other thing about FL would be that he was the aggressor on the run without a watch for pacing - being more patient, especially in the initial phase of the run - should yield an even better race.

That run at IW without specific 70.3 training was very impressive. To run within a minute of Jelle Geens with Jelle having a 5 minute rest stop was impressive, and Vince ran with Lionel for 4 miles or so before Lionel just kept up the pace. (I know VL was hit by the car - but it didn't stop him from trying to race Lionel at least).

In the end - we will know a lot more in October 2022 about where Lionel is in the sport - but I truly think that he's going to be top 5 in a close race in StG and...we will see how people view that from a success and failure standpoint. But I would think it will be a much more complete race than we've ever seen from Lionel at a world champs race...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
timr wrote:
Love Lionel but can't help but wonder if he looks at IMFL where he fell off the run and Iden held pace. With Blus run there may be a new standard in running and Lionel doesn't want to stay with front pack only to watch another Lange pass him in the past 5k to win Kona.

Been following Ari for a while. He strong on the bike so not just a strong runner, but yeah, running is obviously his strength.

I think that the way he is training now (and he really has just transformed his training) and seeing the gains would be more optimism than pessimism. The other thing about FL would be that he was the aggressor on the run without a watch for pacing - being more patient, especially in the initial phase of the run - should yield an even better race.

That run at IW without specific 70.3 training was very impressive. To run within a minute of Jelle Geens with Jelle having a 5 minute rest stop was impressive, and Vince ran with Lionel for 4 miles or so before Lionel just kept up the pace. (I know VL was hit by the car - but it didn't stop him from trying to race Lionel at least).

In the end - we will know a lot more in October 2022 about where Lionel is in the sport - but I truly think that he's going to be top 5 in a close race in StG and...we will see how people view that from a success and failure standpoint. But I would think it will be a much more complete race than we've ever seen from Lionel at a world champs race...

I think I saw someone said LS has been doing long distance racing non-stop without decent breaks, so that might have contributed him struggling on the run at IMFL. Looks like he's heading to the right direction and can't wait to see his next video training with Ari. PTO did a survey/vote a month or so for the popular triathlete and Ari was in there. I thought it was odd, but he's definitely gaining more attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
Yep, it wouldn’t be the same workout. And like Aaron said, it isn’t a dis it’s just reality.

If you're not kneeling worshiping and slurping at the altar of Saint Sanders it is considered a dis.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Anyone here listen to Joe Skipper's Tri Mockery podcast? He and Tom were giving Lionel a pretty good ribbing about hiring Ari.

"I've heard that Lionel makes Ari wear a full french maid's outfit while he cleans his kitchen" -Joe Skipper. LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [Longrunhome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You thought Lionel was candid, everyone?

Here's candid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsD41MywZxs

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
low ferritin levels from overtraining. At first I was worried he was going to say he was injured (ie calf, hamstring, etc) but as far as things go sounds like a moderately easy and quick thing to fix even if it did take him down for a week or two.

See you at IMLP Ari! Keep up the great work and awesome videos. I’ll be cheering for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:

Here's candid:

When they started training together I noticed in the videos Lionel seems (overly) excited by training, and Ari seems very chill, maybe underexcited for the efforts. Figured it was just both of them putting on a face for the camera, but it seems possible Ari was dealing with burnout and overtraining the whole time.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
kajet wrote:

Here's candid:

When they started training together I noticed in the videos Lionel seems (overly) excited by training, and Ari seems very chill, maybe underexcited for the efforts. Figured it was just both of them putting on a face for the camera, but it seems possible Ari was dealing with burnout and overtraining the whole time.

One of Ari's last video was titled "Training through Overtraining". I think it's fair to say he's been burning a lot of matches for a while trying to keep up with Lionel's volume and intensity.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really enjoy the honesty of Ari and his videos. I'm rooting for him.

He could use an outside eye observing his training (all of us could) to keep him in check. He has a high drive but that can be a double edged sword. I see the pride in doing it all himself but having a mentor/advisor making sure he doesn't do too much too soon could help him stay consistent.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ari had mentioned something about mourning the loss of his sister around the time he got hired. It might even be one of the reasons Lionel took him under his wing.

Ari has to be one of the funniest and genuine pros on youtube....its no wonder hes got a ton of followers
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
mathematics wrote:
kajet wrote:

Here's candid:

One of Ari's last video was titled "Training through Overtraining". I think it's fair to say he's been burning a lot of matches for a while trying to keep up with Lionel's volume and intensity.

He mentions the title of that video in this latest one and looks back and basically calls himself an idiot for doing that. Awesome self awareness
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Equivalent of a boxer hiring a sparring partner to beat the F out of, then expecting that sparring partner to prepare for his own fight. Ask for a raise Ari!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
Th4ddy wrote:
mathematics wrote:
kajet wrote:

Here's candid:

He mentions the title of that video in this latest one and looks back and basically calls himself an idiot for doing that. Awesome self awareness

I thought that was quite self aware as well, and I like his sense of humor about it all too. I'm rooting for the guy, hopefully he recovers well and comes back with a bit more structure around his training.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
I can confirm Lionel does a lot more then a room in his house. He got him an apartment, furnished it, and pays him living cost so the kid con eat and train. Pretty cool. I really like Ari he is a strong willed kid. Big future ahead.

This didn't age well. Lionel neglected this kid and ended up destroying him. Yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKSETJVheyg

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [pattaya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just now catching up on youtube? Thats from June boss!

No Ari and lionel still chat daily. Lionel was just getting into some deep heavy Ironman training for St George and they concluded that the volume was just to high for Ari. Lionel had brought ari in to train and help him with run sessions ect. Ari really wanted to do (everything) Lionel was doing. I think it was a bit to much to soon. Ari wanted to take a break from High volume training and go see some of his friends in washington. He has been training up there ever since. Still has alot of stuff hin his apartment but everyone responds different to training. I still plans as of now to swing back through tucson in the winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
I think his Aqua Bears group is giving him plenty of faster swimmers if that is even a benefit and on deck coaching to a degree. Not sure how a pure swimmer would improve on that (if help at all).

Not sure what's going on with his swimming, but according to him it's gone backwards and he's swimming slower times than when he was in year 12. He reckons sitting on 1.30/100m pace. That's AG pace. Not sure swimming in a 25y pool helps. I think he probably needs to give up on the idea of getting close to the top swimmers and give up on the idea of becoming world champ and just enjoy racing. I mean he could win Kona, but a lot of people would have to have shit races, get injured, mechnicals etc
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I mean he could win Kona, but a lot of people would have to have shit races, get injured, mechnicals etc

Which happens every year. I mean, in 2017 only Patrick would've needed to have a bad day for Lionel to win, on top of the people who already had a bad day.

Stars always have to align for the eventual winner.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [pattaya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattaya wrote:
talbotcox wrote:
I can confirm Lionel does a lot more then a room in his house. He got him an apartment, furnished it, and pays him living cost so the kid con eat and train. Pretty cool. I really like Ari he is a strong willed kid. Big future ahead.

This didn't age well. Lionel neglected this kid and ended up destroying him. Yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKSETJVheyg

Posting a June video in late August? I like Ari but if you've been following his triathlon journey he really hasn't been able to stay in the same place for very long. He had a good situation in New Hampshire but took what he thought was a better training opportunity & got burned out trying to train with the guy who finished 2nd at the IM World Champs. He went back to a familiar place & to training that he can handle. Hoping for good results from him moving forward. Oregon was positive. Still using a lot of Lionel's gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel hiring a training partner [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont usually watch Lionel's videos but he is right about the lenght of his stroke. You can see at the start in the Collins Cup the difference between Laidlow and himself and Long. I am an amateur but I noticed too his elbows are a bit low in the recovery? am I wrong?

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply

Prev Next