Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tips/recommendations for tight TT brake cable runs? [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The issue with the way I have the P3 rear brake routed is that the section behind the stem uses full-length housing, and has a sharp S where it goes from horizontal external > vertical top tube > horizontal top tube.

Don't run the cable "vertical top tube>horizontal top tube." Instead, vertical top tube>cable loop in the frame to give you a wide turn>horizontal top tube. I did that with mechanical brake to run a rear TriRig on NP3 and it works fine.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Tips/recommendations for tight TT brake cable runs? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
MTM wrote:

Will the i-link mini's also work for brake cables? Seems like they are inteded for shifting, but maybe they are big enough to acommocate brake cables and inner liner also?

I did use them this way once... but I was using old vision crab claw levers with a shifter cable ran through them... (I know I know) It's been quite a long time now, but I believe the id of the liner is different (I know it is on Nokons) which will likely be the primary issue to overcome to "make it work."

Might search through some of the old WeightWeenie threads on the i-links. I'm sure someone over there has at least tried to run them for brakes, as they are marginally lighter than the normal ones.

One more question that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet. Will the i-link mini interface with a standard outer brake cable (e.g. Shimano)? Or did you just use i-link mini for the entire cable path?
Quote Reply
Re: Tips/recommendations for tight TT brake cable runs? [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Morelock wrote:
MTM wrote:

Will the i-link mini's also work for brake cables? Seems like they are inteded for shifting, but maybe they are big enough to acommocate brake cables and inner liner also?

I did use them this way once... but I was using old vision crab claw levers with a shifter cable ran through them... (I know I know) It's been quite a long time now, but I believe the id of the liner is different (I know it is on Nokons) which will likely be the primary issue to overcome to "make it work."

Might search through some of the old WeightWeenie threads on the i-links. I'm sure someone over there has at least tried to run them for brakes, as they are marginally lighter than the normal ones.

One more question that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet. Will the i-link mini interface with a standard outer brake cable (e.g. Shimano)? Or did you just use i-link mini for the entire cable path?

When I was using the i-links it was on an old p3 aluminum. So I would run links to the cable stops where it entered the frame, and then run just the liner through the frame (it just barely fit the little hole cervelo drilled from the factory) then start again with links when it exited again. That always worked fine for me, but of course that was a much simpler bike than what's around these days, I doubt it would work nearly as well on a bb mounted brake. Likely you will indeed need some more traditional liner through the bikes internal routing.

apologies, my box of link cables has totally mixed together over the years, so I am not 100% sure what extra bits came with which set, so I'm not 100% sure the connectors you'd need came with the mini's.

That said, they all come with more "standard" looking end pieces (intended for when the links meet a cable stop on the frame) and so you can build your own using an inline cable adjuster (jagwire and many other places sell them)

On my junky speed concept I lost the cable stop where the cables are supposed to enter the frame, and so that's what I've done here (albeit with nokons - but should work fine with i-links) just standard shimano brake cable liner below the orange adjuster.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Jan 27, 22 15:24
Quote Reply
Re: Tips/recommendations for tight TT brake cable runs? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the size 48 and gene's case 45. i believe, there isnt room to run the loop, hence i drilled through back of box, less bend than a loop that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips/recommendations for tight TT brake cable runs? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 45 NP3. I was able to get enough of a loop in the downtube to make it work. In fact, I think a number of years ago you helped me figure this out. Maybe it's the brake levers I'm using? I have the 3T center pull aero brake levers, which use a mountain bike cable.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Tips/recommendations for tight TT brake cable runs? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the explanation. Makes good sense with the inline cable adjuster if something off the shelves doesn't work!

Now looking into how to actually source the i-links mini. Not really distributed in EU it seems.
Quote Reply

Prev Next