Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear long gloves in winter and fingerless in summer.
  • Protect your hands in a crash
  • Wipe sweat off
  • Keep your hands warm in winter
  • Stop the back of your hands getting sun burnt in summer
  • No sweaty hands when using gears and brakes.

After a bad fall while running I now wear gloves all the time when running also.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gloves in Wonder
No gloves rest of the year.

But , in case of crash it helps, no doubt!
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
After a bad fall while running ...

I've made it a habit to never again say “I fell down”

One must always say “I collided with a planet” or, even better “I was running/riding along, minding my own business, when a planet jumped up and ran into me. I simply shoved it back into place, and carried on along my way"

From a certain point of view, that's not inaccurate

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes a dirt trail gets in my way and I use my hands to keep from colliding with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [AboveGround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AboveGround wrote:
Am I the only person who uses my gloves to scrape debris? If I run over glass or something else, I use my glove to scrape the junk off the tire. This is much less fun without gloves. My rate of flat tires is significantly lower if I do this. Also, I've crashed and been very thankful I was wearing gloves.

I've seen folks be able to do that as they roll along. Me, I fear I'm going to get my fingers caught in the moving spokes. That would not be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't see it mentioned, but the fingerless gloves in summer can give you very strange tan lines on the hands.

I usually wear full finger and full coverage for warmth. In summer, only if it's going to be a really humid sopping wet type of ride will I use a pair of summer gloves, otherwise go without.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like to wear them but I usually do when I'm outside. Primarily to protect my hands, even a minor hand injury makes riding a road or MTB pretty painful for a few days.

Inside I usually just use wrist bands, but I've got my trainer bike handlebars wrapped pretty cushy too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear cycling gloves when riding on my cross and mtn bikes outside. Don't wear anything on my tri-bike inside where it stays until race day. And don't wear gloves on race day. When I did ride outside on my tri bike for training rides, I did wear cycling gloves. I liked the cushion for the heel of my hand when riding in the horns (lots of hills where I live). You should see the mittens I wear when I fat bike on chilly winter days! :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Jan 28, 22 12:30
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Tribike53 wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
The argument that you might crash so wear gloves is absurd. Might as well wear body armour too.

I never wear gloves on my TT bike.

I wear TT gloves (minimal padding and covers wrist) for every other type of riding.

I assume you ride without a helmet? Many MTB do wear body armor…

No, I always ride with a helmet. Because my brain is a lot more important than the skin on my hands, dipshit.

From your user id I assume you rollerski. Do you wear them then? I always do, except I forgot them on a rollerski last fall. Slid out on wet leaves and took a big chunk out of my left palm. Took over a week until I could rollerski comfortably again.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
brasch wrote:
.... I dont crash, unless there’s an accident.
I know How to ride a bike, I just dont crash on my own

Are you under the impression that a lot of crashes are intentional? You know what an accident is right?

Perhaps you're just expressing yourself poorly, but the above post is simply nonsense as written!

English is not my first language, so maybe I’m expressing this wrong. Let me try to explain.
For me there’s a difference between a crash and an accident. A crash for me is tumbling over with no others involved or in a bike race. Any car or cyclist, pedestrian or whatever, that goes right in front of menon a training ride, is an accident, no matter whose fault it is. On my training rides, I’d rather be safe than sorry, so I try to minimide the potential of accidents, not taking any chances. What I mean by crashes, by my own definition, I don’t crash because I Can’t control the bike. And yes, I might be a better bike handler if I took chances, But I dont. If in an accident with a car, truck, bus, pedestrian, the palms of my hands is the least of my concerns, I’d probably get a taxi back home. If I miss several weeks of training because of that, bummer, but it doesn’t mean THAT much to me to train, i’m not a Pro. I do it because I like it and I find gloves uncomfortable, unless it’s cold and feel more in control without them.
My point being, unless you race bike races, no reason to wear gloves unless it’s cold or for comfort
Last edited by: brasch: Jun 12, 22 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
brasch wrote:

Are you under the impression that a lot of crashes are intentional? You know what an accident is right?

Perhaps you're just expressing yourself poorly, but the above post is simply nonsense as written!

English is not my first language, so maybe I’m expressing this wrong. Let me try to explain.
For me there’s a difference between a crash and an accident. A crash for me is tumbling over with no others involved or in a bike race. Any car or cyclist, pedestrian or whatever, that goes right in front of menon a training ride, is an accident, no matter whose fault it is. On my training rides, I’d rather be safe than sorry, so I try to minimide the potential of accidents, not taking any chances. What I mean by crashes, by my own definition, I don’t crash because I Can’t control the bike. And yes, I might be a better bike handler if I took chances, But I dont. If in an accident with a car, truck, bus, pedestrian, the palms of my hands is the least of my concerns, I’d probably get a taxi back home. If I miss several weeks of training because of that, bummer, but it doesn’t mean THAT much to me to train, i’m not a Pro. I do it because I like it and I find gloves uncomfortable, unless it’s cold and feel more in control without them.
My point being, unless you race bike races, no reason to wear gloves unless it’s cold or for comfort

There are only incidents, both of you. Accidents invoke "no fault". Even most "acts of God" have preventable outcomes. We reinforce buildings in earthquake zones. New fire proof building codes in forest fire areas. Downhillers wear heavier duty bike helmets or gear.

Solo incidents, or self-fault incidents...........and incidents involving others. All of which were preventable given some ultimate level of planning, safety, awareness, or otherwise. It's just the level of those factors folks are willing to take and still enjoy riding bikes. Gloves among them. Some folks even draw that line at helmets.

I do the glove thing as the incidents where I have crashed solo I could have saved some hand carnage the one time. After that time, I remember the gloves. Also, it provides a movable with you small amount of padding. You cannot wrap your entire bike in bar tape, so gloves help a bit. So, for me, it's both a small added layer of comfort and a little incident assurance in the event of a crash. Shoot, the pounding of cyclocross or gravel riding it's pretty much mandatory.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
brasch wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
brasch wrote:

There are only incidents, both of you. Accidents invoke "no fault". Even most "acts of God" have preventable outcomes. We reinforce buildings in earthquake zones. New fire proof building codes in forest fire areas. Downhillers wear heavier duty bike helmets or gear.

Solo incidents, or self-fault incidents...........and incidents involving others. All of which were preventable given some ultimate level of planning, safety, awareness, or otherwise. It's just the level of those factors folks are willing to take and still enjoy riding bikes. Gloves among them. Some folks even draw that line at helmets.

I do the glove thing as the incidents where I have crashed solo I could have saved some hand carnage the one time. After that time, I remember the gloves. Also, it provides a movable with you small amount of padding. You cannot wrap your entire bike in bar tape, so gloves help a bit. So, for me, it's both a small added layer of comfort and a little incident assurance in the event of a crash. Shoot, the pounding of cyclocross or gravel riding it's pretty much mandatory.

I’m not trying to argue against using gloves, just trying to explain What I really meant. I find using gloves uncomfortable, unless it’s cold, then no gloves are less comfortable. Where I ride for training, there’s basically no traffic or cycling paths. Basically very low risk, I’d rather be comfortable. If an incident actually happens, too bad, I’ll take that chance, But given the places I ride, it’s unlikely with a bit of caution. Bike races are another besat, there’s actual real chance of a crash, because riders are close together. But again, riding on safe roads, bike paths, I dont kit acidentally crash. If there’s an incident, again gloves are the least of my worries. But, I guess it very much depends where you live, whats the culture. If riding on a Road, most cars Will go to the opposite Lane to overtake here. Or stay behind until the Road is clear. Different places, different mentalities, I guess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always wear gloves. Take some bad road rash to your hands just once and decide if its worth it or not.

Disclaimer: I went out today and forgot to grab my gloves and did not bother to go back in to grab my gloves because I do enjoy fingerless. Still, gloves 99% of the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
brasch wrote:

The post you replied to is nearly 6 months old. This might be my first post since then. It's been a while!

Why do you think not being a professional athlete and thus not worrying about missing training due to injured hands makes hand injuries irrelevant?

Training would be very low on my list of worries if I injured my hands!

ETA: A crash, an accident and an incident may or may not all apply to an "event". All the events we're discussing here are crashes. Whether you're bothered about the cause and any other labels you feel apply as a result is pretty secondary, and of no real relevance here in my opinion.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jun 12, 22 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
There are only incidents, both of you. Accidents invoke "no fault".

Rubbish
The term "accident" does not preclude fault; it precludes intent.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
brasch wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
brasch wrote:

The post you replied to is nearly 6 months old. This might be my first post since then. It's been a while!

Why do you think not being a professional athlete and thus not worrying about missing training due to injured hands makes hand injuries irrelevant?

Training would be very low on my list of worries if I injured my hands!

ETA: A crash, an accident and an incident may or may not all apply to an "event". All the events we're discussing here are crashes. Whether you're bothered about the cause and any other labels you feel apply as a result is pretty secondary, and of no real relevance here in my opinion.

In the Big picture, What gloves Can save my hands for lack of training is irrelevant to me. As I said, I’m not a Pro athlete, being able to train doesn’t make or break my life. I like training, but really, it wouldn’t mean THAT much to me to miss a couple of weeks. I feel better in control without gloves, this better handling.
And no, I don’t agree that all crashes are equal, wether we call them crashes, accidents, incidents or whatever. There’s a difference. First of all, in bike races, where people take chances, I’d always wear gloves, since it’s often a matter og luck/bad luck wether you get tangled or hit in a crit.
As for training rides, I try to be Aware of my surroudings, be cautious at intersections. But mainly here there are bike paths, so the main “danger” is a guy riding faster than yourself. If someone wants to hit me with a car, they can. And even being cautious it could go wrong at intersections, even if you are as careful as you can be. This far, it hasn’t happened to me. And it it does, the palms of my hands are my least concern, I just want to not get seriously hurt. If I miss fee months training, I’ll work though that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused. You say training isn't that important to you and yet entirely miss my point that hands are used for a lot more than training.
Impact of hand injury on training is not even a fearure of any argument I've made....at least not that I recall - LikeI saud, old thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No gloves on the road (when I did ride on the road), always long finger gloves on the MTB.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road training - No gloves
Road racing - gloves
Crit racing - full fingers
MTB always - full fingers
Cross - Full fingers

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

I was watching a video about Navy "crashes" on carriers while going down some Top Gun rabbithole and I learned they don't call them "crashes" or "accidents" but "mishaps"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

I was watching a video about Navy "crashes" on carriers while going down some Top Gun rabbithole and I learned they don't call them "crashes" or "accidents" but "mishaps"

I think if you break down that word, "mis" means “ ill,” “ mistaken,” “wrong,” “wrongly,” “incorrectly,” or simply negating. And of course "hap" is short for "happening". Put them together and you get some form of "oops".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Or sometimes a "hard landing". Even when it's really, really hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the long explanation was that if something goes wrong, there's a procedure to follow to get it un-wrong

If you're riding along, and there is a RR X-ing you have to go over, the procedure is to approach the rail itself at an angle as close to perpendicular e.i., a right angle, as possible to keep you from deflecting the front wheel

If you fuck up that procedure, a planet might come up in your face to tell you about it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gloves are mandatory for anyone with hyperhidrosis. The only time I won't wear them when riding is if I'm just cruising down the road a mile or two. Otherwise my hands are a sweaty mess in 20 minutes and I'll have lost all grip of the bars.
Quote Reply

Prev Next