Prev Next
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Mudge wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
dfru wrote:
desert dude wrote:
reminds me of some of the Ekoi's I've had through the tunnel. or a cross between a specialized and a Limar

So would you recommend it then? Or should we test? :)

Summary of what we have learned from DD over the years about helmets:
(1) Option 1-test
(2) if option 1 is not feasible, buy an Aerohead or RP Wing.

I may well be the only person alive who has owned an Aerohead AND a Wing, and didn't like either of them.

What makes you say that? I’ve owned both and don’t particularly love either of them. I have yet to find an aero helmet that I just love. The LG just doesn’t fit my head so not an option. I’ve stuck with the RP primarily because it’s noticeably lighter than Aerohead.

Just a figure of speech... seems most people like them.
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used it last weekend at Maryland. Really liked it. Visor is great, cooling was good, and it was light. I moved away from the aerohead because it crushed my neck weight wise… would be really interested in aero data if it’s ever tested.
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI the orange and black Jetstream helmet is $262.50 on Smith's website (reg. price $380). Comes with two visors and a case.

https://www.smithoptics.com/...w/E007433K45155.html
Last edited by: nanban_ronin: Oct 24, 22 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [Persia1921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Aerohead is 450g medium and the Smith Jetstream medium is 410g. Did you notice the extra 40g on your neck?

Dayoutsports.com.au| Australia's Newest Cycling and Tri Apparel Brand
Last edited by: PattoDayOut: Oct 24, 22 19:09
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [PattoDayOut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have noticed that some helmets feel heavier on my head than others, despite similar weights. I noted this with the aerohead. I think its because the weight is significantly further forward, and sometimes infront of the forehead with some helmets. Other helmets the weight is more evenly distrubuted and sits further behind the forehead. The further infront of the forehead the weight sits, the harder it is to keep my head up and in a longer race like an Ironman this can be a big factor for me personally. It tires me out and makes my shoulders ache - not good after a long swim. I also no longer use a Aerohead for this reason - I guess this may be a personal preference and will not be the same for everybody?

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree, the Aerohead feel a bit weightier toward the front, and the way the lip blocks vision it means you can't really just let your head comfortably hang down otherwise you can't see!
This helmet doesn't look like it has that problem. We just need the orange lens on the white lid!

Dayoutsports.com.au| Australia's Newest Cycling and Tri Apparel Brand
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
were you able to test the Jetstream in March? Any update on its competitiveness with the Arrowhead?
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got one of these one sale and I really like it. No idea how it tests in a tunnel, but the medium fits my medium sized noggin perfectly, it vents well, zero issues with fogging (albeit I've only used it in mild weather). I thought I would not use the lenses and just use sunglasses, but they are great, clear, and again since I am not having issues with fogging or sweat accumulation I have yet to remove them while riding. Only thing I have noticed is the helmet will whistle loudly if you dip your head down, so if you are one to let your head hang while riding you probably won't be happy with the extra noise created.
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [carrotguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carrotguy wrote:
Only thing I have noticed is the helmet will whistle loudly if you dip your head down, so if you are one to let your head hang while riding you probably won't be happy with the extra noise created.

That is almost a feature.
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [ttreise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I rode down some long downhills with this helmet between 40-45 mph (I'm trying to simulate the descent out of Snow Canyon in preparation for IM 70.3 St. George). I noticed my Jetstream helmet slightly lift from my head and thought it might even fly off (it didn't). I also noticed that some crosswinds batted the helmet around on my head.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Are these indicative of poor aerodynamics? I also noticed that I am not significantly faster on the same downhills vs. a road helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [carrotguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carrotguy wrote:
....Only thing I have noticed is the helmet will whistle loudly if you dip your head down, so if you are one to let your head hang while riding you probably won't be happy with the extra noise created.

Not an aero expert, but to me, whistling and other noise suggests turbulent air flow, which isn't desireable.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nanban_ronin wrote:
Yesterday I rode down some long downhills with this helmet between 40-45 mph (I'm trying to simulate the descent out of Snow Canyon in preparation for IM 70.3 St. George). I noticed my Jetstream helmet slightly lift from my head and thought it might even fly off (it didn't). I also noticed that some crosswinds batted the helmet around on my head.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Are these indicative of poor aerodynamics? I also noticed that I am not significantly faster on the same downhills vs. a road helmet.

This is something that has been noted with the MET Drone (https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Wide_Body_6005.html). The issue is that air wants to fill the low-pressure void under the tail and that creates lift which makes it feel like the wind is trying to pull the helmet off of your head. The effect is more noticeable at speed. The effect is minimized if there is good alignment between the tail and your shoulders / back as the void is more or less sealed when the gap is minimized.

The key thing to remember here is that if you get into that mode you are experiencing a significant aerodynamic compromise

The fact that the helmet is getting shifted by cross winds could suggest that yours is too big for your head or not compatible with your head shape. It's a pretty simple force equation where the cross wind pushing on the helmet profile is strong enough to overcome the friction interface between the helmet and your noggin.

If you can tighten down the helmet comfortably to minimize the shift in crosswinds you may also notice a reduction in lift at speed (as the helmet isn't being allowed to pull away from your shoulders). There's also a very real chance that this helmet just isn't right for you.
Quote Reply
Re: New Smith Jetstream TT Helmet [ap_az] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ap_az wrote:
nanban_ronin wrote:

This is something that has been noted with the MET Drone (https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Wide_Body_6005.html). The issue is that air wants to fill the low-pressure void under the tail and that creates lift which makes it feel like the wind is trying to pull the helmet off of your head. The effect is more noticeable at speed. The effect is minimized if there is good alignment between the tail and your shoulders / back as the void is more or less sealed when the gap is minimized.

The key thing to remember here is that if you get into that mode you are experiencing a significant aerodynamic compromise

The fact that the helmet is getting shifted by cross winds could suggest that yours is too big for your head or not compatible with your head shape. It's a pretty simple force equation where the cross wind pushing on the helmet profile is strong enough to overcome the friction interface between the helmet and your noggin.

If you can tighten down the helmet comfortably to minimize the shift in crosswinds you may also notice a reduction in lift at speed (as the helmet isn't being allowed to pull away from your shoulders). There's also a very real chance that this helmet just isn't right for you.

Thanks, you insight makes a lot of sense to me. I recently took a video of my position and I noticed the helmet's tail is pretty far from my back. I have made some adjustments to allow me to get lower in my position but haven't had a chance to get a newer video. But I think it's unlikely I can get it much closer than in this Youtube video:

Quote Reply

Prev Next