Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lubbock 70.3 as first half
Quote | Reply
Looking to do my first half this summer, and the Lubbock 70.3 falls in the perfect time of year. However, I’m concerned a bit about the race, and I wanted to see how other people rated it.

I’m in Texas already, so the heat will be nothing new, but it’s about 3000ft higher in altitude than where I live and train. Also, I hear it can be very windy. Are these concerns worthy of trying a different race for the first time? Is there a nuance I’m not aware of? Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock 70.3 as first half [Driva77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it last year and we got a big storm the night before resulting in normal temps so I can’t comment on heat. I heard it can be upwards of 105.

The good news is the new course is super easy. Pancake flat bike and run. No more in and out of the canyon that the old buffalo springs had. They new lake is questionable water quality though…

Wind is not really that much of a factor imo bc of the out and back nature of the bike course. If it hurts you on the way out it will help on the way back. My day was a N-S wind so only hurt helped on the few north south roads.

The run is a flat 3 loop course around the campus. I liked this format and helped me pace super well and never got lonely/ knew where all the aid stations were.

I think it’s a great first race. Just know it might be hot which for us Texans is normal. I hit a PR my day.

I don’t think I’d do it again only bc Lubbock isn’t a great place for a race vacation and didn’t have much to do outside of the race.
Last edited by: Tribike53: Jan 6, 22 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock 70.3 as first half [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
I did it last year and we got a big storm the night before resulting in normal temps so I can’t comment on heat.

i was laying in my bed in my vrbo rental and just knew the entire transition area was going to be bikes scattered all over the place and the race was cancelled. i was amazed we got to race, and the day turned out to be a decent day.

the course was ok. i did enjoy the run course. the bike wasnt anything spectacular at all. i live at 0 feet elevation and the elevation difference there wasnt noticable at all. i didnt have a good race at all (had nothing to do with the course) and my highlight was sitting down and seeing a groundhog pop out of a hole right beside me at the swim/bike transition. i flipped out.

i wont be doing lubbock again though. theres close to nothing in the town to go do while you're there.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Jan 6, 22 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock 70.3 as first half [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
highlight was sitting down and seeing a groundhog pop out of a hole right beside me at the swim/bike transition. i flipped out.

i wont be doing lubbock again though. theres close to nothing in the town to go do while you're there.
Groundhog! Y'all must be from New York City. We have prairie dogs here.

Lubbock isn't Orlando, and you won't have Mickey Mouse and Tinkerbell passing out tickets to the Magic Kingdom at the finish. But it's a good course and a very well organized race. If I'm going somewhere for a holiday (especially if it's with Ms Tostig), I'm not going somewhere to do a triathlon. But it's a great place to go for a few days when you're looking to get in a race.

I've raced there on 100 degree days, windy days, and once with thunderstorms in the area. Mostly, the weather hasn't been a huge factor. If you're from anywhere in Texas, the heat won't be a big deal, and anything else won't be all that extreme. You won't have a problem doing this as a first race.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock 70.3 as first half [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
highlight was sitting down and seeing a groundhog pop out of a hole right beside me at the swim/bike transition. i flipped out.

Lubbock isn't Orlando, and you won't have Mickey Mouse and Tinkerbell passing out tickets to the Magic Kingdom at the finish. But it's a good course and a very well organized race. If I'm going somewhere for a holiday (especially if it's with Ms Tostig), I'm not going somewhere to do a triathlon. But it's a great place to go for a few days when you're looking to get in a race.
everyone is different. if i take the time out of my schedule to go travel to a race i want something to do outside the race. lubbock provides nothing. the race was well organized for sure, and i did like the course overall, so if the only thing you care about is racing then you'll be fine here, but dont expect anything outside the race.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never done Lubbock.

I'm guessing you're in the Houston area based on being at sea level (as I am). I chose the Panama City Beach 70.3. It's not a lot farther. Has more to do (family is coming and we're staying a week). Course is easy, except maybe the swim. If you're not a good swimmer the Gulf may be a challenge.

It's a bit earlier in the year, which may not be feasible for you (May 7 as opposed to late June), but there's little threat of 100f.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the new course last year. The weather could not have been better. Given that I live right down the road, I'm generally familiar with the weather here. Hot and windy are certainly likely, but, if you train in either, I don't think you will be bothered. Given you are from Texas, I don't see it bothering you.

The bike course was relatively open and straight with very little traffic. Winds tend to be more N-S, so the winds will likely be more of a crosswind than anything. I would drive the last few miles of the bike course as it comes back into town to get familiar with it. Especially if they use the original plan from last year. Can't say I was a huge fan of it. Due to flooding they had to make a course change on the race morning and I thought the new finish was probably better. Hopefully they keep it.

The run is really nice. Lots of people on the course and the three lap nature means you will have lots of participants around you. One thing you want find on either course is any elevation. It's a very flat course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you have to lose? Set a 70.3 PR baseline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driva77 wrote:
Looking to do my first half this summer, and the Lubbock 70.3 falls in the perfect time of year. However, I’m concerned a bit about the race, and I wanted to see how other people rated it.

I’m in Texas already, so the heat will be nothing new, but it’s about 3000ft higher in altitude than where I live and train. Also, I hear it can be very windy. Are these concerns worthy of trying a different race for the first time? Is there a nuance I’m not aware of? Thanks all.

Thanks for posting this. Read all the feedback and I ended up signing up for this race. I live in Texas too and love hot races. I hope you will do it too!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Piggybacking on this thread a bit. I just signed up for Lubbock and was curious where the best area to stay is? Perhaps near Texas Tech or the Civic Center?
Last edited by: Th4ddy: Jan 25, 22 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: Lubbock 70.3 as first half [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like staying next to TT, so you can walk to/from transition. There's also a lot of restaurants and nicer hotels in that area.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply