Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
By the points distribution comment do you mean between swim/bike/run/other?

As for how points are allocated, that's above my pay grade. Two guys to take that up with are snowman or devanishpaul...

Slowman set the points system. I debated with him that I thought the points for Nordic skiing were too high, but I was at the time a relatively expert skate skier so I could accue points way faster than most humans (at 42 I raced at the elite/pro XC ski nationals, although I was waaay off the back of the Olympians, but won the local winter tri at 44 in a decent field. Slowman said that 3 points per mile for Nordic skiing made sense because on average its just a bit easier than running if you include classic skiing, back country etc etc). Once I could no longer skate ski, I saw what he meant. Similarly in swimming, I do 2/3 of my swimming as fly/back/breast/kick and 1/3 as free. If I did all free I would get waaaaay more points, but I am training for masters swimming nationals in the IM and fly, so the points are whatever I get. I still feel the points are a bit high for Nordic skiing. I would like to see points for indoor rowing which I think is a legit indoor activity, but there are none, so often I just enter rowing time as "weight training" because that is zero points.

I think by and large the swim, bike and run points system averages out. For those asking about elevation on the bike you also get part of it back on downhills. I get that a lot of the potential energy stored as you climb does not turn into speed since a bunch of it converts to heat as you push a wall of wind downhill, but by and large over the year, it all shakes out. I do a ton of hilly running and get zero credit for it. I think if there is an argument for an elevation bonus it would be in running as you get almost none of it back and just get beaten up worse on the downhills! Everyone of my treadmill runs is an uphill run because I am running on either a flat half the time or hills from 2-10 percent the rest of the time. Zero downhill there!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [kona220] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go kona, it’s just up a bit on page 2…

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...bic_Points_7856.html

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
rcmioga wrote:
By the points distribution comment do you mean between swim/bike/run/other?

As for how points are allocated, that's above my pay grade. Two guys to take that up with are snowman or devanishpaul...

Slowman set the points system. I debated with him that I thought the points for Nordic skiing were too high, but I was at the time a relatively expert skate skier so I could accue points way faster than most humans (at 42 I raced at the elite/pro XC ski nationals, although I was waaay off the back of the Olympians, but won the local winter tri at 44 in a decent field. Slowman said that 3 points per mile for Nordic skiing made sense because on average its just a bit easier than running if you include classic skiing, back country etc etc). Once I could no longer skate ski, I saw what he meant. Similarly in swimming, I do 2/3 of my swimming as fly/back/breast/kick and 1/3 as free. If I did all free I would get waaaaay more points, but I am training for masters swimming nationals in the IM and fly, so the points are whatever I get. I still feel the points are a bit high for Nordic skiing. I would like to see points for indoor rowing which I think is a legit indoor activity, but there are none, so often I just enter rowing time as "weight training" because that is zero points.

I think by and large the swim, bike and run points system averages out. For those asking about elevation on the bike you also get part of it back on downhills. I get that a lot of the potential energy stored as you climb does not turn into speed since a bunch of it converts to heat as you push a wall of wind downhill, but by and large over the year, it all shakes out. I do a ton of hilly running and get zero credit for it. I think if there is an argument for an elevation bonus it would be in running as you get almost none of it back and just get beaten up worse on the downhills! Everyone of my treadmill runs is an uphill run because I am running on either a flat half the time or hills from 2-10 percent the rest of the time. Zero downhill there!!!!

Eh? I don't see Nordic ski on points system? Cause I could have had more points in my total last year.. first 2 weeks did ski work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had anybody ever researched the race results for the people getting Gold vs Silver vs Bronze vs no trophy for the Big Kahuna?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Had anybody ever researched the race results for the people getting Gold vs Silver vs Bronze vs no trophy for the Big Kahuna?

talked to last year's winner... fast person :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no don't think so! HOWEVER, I am confident that on average those who train more are generally faster than those who don't...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strava has a club for our local Triathlon Club. There are some people that train a lot of hours but don't have great results. I mean they finish, but I don't see big hours meaning great results.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
no don't think so! HOWEVER, I am confident that on average those who train more are generally faster than those who don't...

There's a difference in training to train, and training for racing at the front.

More doesn't necessarily mean better, especially for the shorter races.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [cielo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I get that too much training can lead to slower races and I also get that high volume lower quality training is often not as good as higher intensity/less volume.

However, I think it is also true, on average, that racing speed is correlated with training volume. For example, if compare pros to mop age groupers you will find that pros train more and are faster on average. If I compare how fast I race if I don’t train for a while vs. my normal training, I find I’m faster with the more training.

Causality is interesting as well. Obviously, if you train you get fitter, so easy to see that causal linkage. However, I’ve found when I get faster I also want to train more. Not as strong but a causal linkage there as well. A bit of a virtuous circle up to the point where overtraining kicks in…

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:

Well, you could consider the "Big Kahuna" to be a 365 day virtual stage race.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna 12 is up! [devashish_paul, Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:
So all u need to do is swim to win?

To simplify the answer to your question, just get in the friggin pool every day, 2 hrs per day!!! YOU GOT THIS WIN !!!

U.S. Masters Swimming has a similar "contest" to see who can swim the most in the calendar year. I've posted about this before but for those who did not see my previous posts, the guy who has "won" the USMS event for the last 7 yrs in a row averages 3000 miles of just swimming per year. That translates to about 5,280,000 yds/yr or just over 100,000 yds per week, 52 weeks per year, or about 14,500 yd/day, 365 days/yr, for 7 straight years. In terms of points, that is 52,800 pts/yr which about 50% more than anyone has SBR'd over the past 11 yrs, at least AFAIK. Holy sore shoulders Batman!!!!!!

Dev - Does Masters Swimming Canada have an analogous event???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next