Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is my wife's HR "too high" or just "high"?
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone, I could use some of your insight…

My wife and I have started training for our second year of tri’s, and this year she’s using an HRM. She’s surprised to learn how high her heartrate is, especially during running. I’m hoping to be able to tell her whether it’s “too high”, or if she’s just on the high end of the HR spectrum. Here are the facts:

In the past she’s done most of her running at 9-10 minute/mile pace. Now, with the HRM, she sees that this pace is accompanied by a HR in the 180s, even though she feels like she could be pushing (and breathing) a lot harder. To keep her HR below 170, she has to slow down to more like 12 minute pace. She’s 26, and we’ve never really attempted to measure her Max HR. Her resting HR is around 50-60. Is her relatively high HR for a moderate effort run unusual? Do you think this is an aerobic pace for her since she is not straining to maintain it and doesn’t experience much (if any) soreness afterward?

She comes from a strong swimming background, and the HRM seems to show that she has a relatively high HR in the pool, as well. During a recent moderate effort swim, her HR was in the 160s (for comparison, we considered my floundering, struggling-for-air race effort swim HR of 150-155.)

Her confidence in her ability and potential as a triathlete is a bit shaken by these HR measurements. In a nutshell, she is wondering if (a) she just has a “weak heart” and it will be a limiting factor that prevents her from ever running as fast (or as aerobically) as she’d like to or (b) it’s possible that her HR zones are just “shifted up”, with a high lactate threshold, and she can therefore train successfully at high HRs and expect to improve over time. Is there anything you would recommend in order to determine what her true capabilities and limits are? Is it dangerous at all for her to be running with what seems to be such a high HR for so much of the time? Before the HRM, we probably did some harder runs in which her HR must have been in the high 180’s to low 190’s for extended periods of time.

I hope I explained this somewhat clearly—let me know if I can clarify or add anything, and thanks for any advice you can give!

Nate
Quote Reply
Re: Is my wife's HR "too high" or just "high"? [natrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<Is there anything you would recommend in order to determine what her true capabilities and limits are?>>

Time and consistancy. Especially if running is "new" to her.

<< Is it dangerous at all for her to be running with what seems to be such a high HR for so much of the time?>>

I doubt it, but I'm just a stranger on the internet, not a qualified physician.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you get your wife to do a graded test such as a Conconi on the treadmill with the HR monitor on - you'll get an idea of her max and LT HR. She might just be one of those athletes with a high high HRmax (I know a Cat3 cyclist who is 40 years old and has a MaxHR of 208).
Likewise I used to worry that my HR is too low, but now I have become comfortable with my HR zones.

Bottomline = Compare with yourself only, not with others' HR.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my wife's HR "too high" or just "high"? [auscoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is good advice. It's worth spending the money and doing a proper HR test, just to check that nothing's wrong. There is almost certainly nothing wrong, from what you have described. It's quite common for people to have high HRs, and for there to be a wide variation between people of the same age. Women often have slightly higher HRs than men anyway. So first, I wouldn't be concerned. Second, arrange a good stress test (and make sure it's with a doctor who has a sports background. A while ago I had to have a test done for work and the cardiologist stopped the test when I reached "103% of my maximum" which he had calculated on the old 220 minus your age formula). Then lay out your HR zones, based on your AT or LT, and go for it. It's also quite common, by the way, for people to have a higher heart rate in a sport where they are stronger. Many runners find their HR lower at full exertion on the bike of in the pool, for example.

Good luck, and keep training!

Peter Stephens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about to be convinced that more harm than good is being done by people wearing HR monitors....

Your wife's HR is fine. She's not sick. Nothing is wrong with her. Sure, there's a very slight chance something is wrong, but there's a better chance that she is still really overcome by being close to you! OR, she simply has a higher HR than some chart says she should have.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've coached and trained with a lot of athletes over the past 25 years, and to date I have seen a 20 year old Spencer Smith with a 169 max heart rate, and a 19 yer old girl from Mexico city with a 260 max rate. She was the 8th fastest 800 meter runner in Mexico at one time, and everything seemed normal in her training and racing, just bigger numbers. She would be at 180 at 8min mile pace hardly breathing hard, and when she was running at the end of a hard triathlon she would be at 240. Heart rates come in all shapes and sizes, the relative factor seems to be at what percentage of your own max can you race and train at. Any formula that doesn't take into consideration your own max heart rate is full of crap, and should be ignored......
Quote Reply
Re: Is my wife's HR "too high" or just "high"? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the good comments and info. I knew it was unlikely there was something "wrong" with her. I was hoping more to get some evidence that her heart rate characteristics might just be higher than normal, which you have provided me with. It sounds like an easy and logical next step might be to test her Max HR. In lieu of a treadmill, I guess we'll use a hill--I've seen some straightforward prescriptions for hill-based Max testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't remember the exact numbers but women usually are around 15 bpm higher than men due to lower stroke volume so the only way to get more output is to beat faster.

My wife carries on conversations at 210 bpm. No idea what her max is but it's over 225 for sure since she's hit that in normal hill work.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my wife's HR "too high" or just "high"? [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Women have lower stroke volumes, because they generally have a lower demand for blood supply. A well-trained woman's heart has a similar stroke volume per unit of lean body mass as a man. Stroke volume is a changing characteristic, not just when comparing rest stroke volume to stroke volume during exercise, but it can change over time (within limits) in response to exercise.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply