Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em?
Quote | Reply
*Burp* Excuse me

So when wife comes home from work we'll have open face turkey sandwiches w gravy--as well as heating up left over sides

What else y'all got for left over Thanksgiving food?

I'm looking at maybe: Turkey/rice soup or perhaps Turkey enchiladas?

*wife bought a 23lb turkey! When i asked her "what were you thinking there's only two of us?" she just shrugged and said it was the best value deal at the Commissary that day. Damn

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em? [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turkey tetrazzini with an ice cold Pabst blue ribbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had turkey with gravy over leftover buttered rolls. mmmm
Quote Reply
Re: Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh great idea for the leftover turkey--thanks
I'll pass on the PBR beer. In Panama--way back when--the radio call sign for the Patrol Boat Riverine squadron we had down there was "PBR Street Gang" Some great Navy guys---we did some great missions with them.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you could make a turkey pie. Very freezeable

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like in "24 black birds baked in a pie...." like a chicken pot pie?

hmm?

Never done that----off to google

thanks

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't eat meat but wife does. She picked up a little bit of prepared turkey to make sandwiches with the other leftovers. After having it a few years ago, she loves a sandwich with turkey, dressing, gravy, and cranberry sauce. All that between the bread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ma always used to take the leftovers - turkey, veggies, taters, and gravy (probably made more gravy, too) - and put 'em all together in a baking pan. Size dependent upon the amount of leftovers. Then she'd make biscuits, and put 'em over the top, bake it all up so the biscuits raised and browned like they were supposed to. So damn good.

We do that now and again, but we also have a twist where instead of biscuits and a fat-heavy gravy, we mix it all up with some quinoa and bake it with some cheese on top. That'll stick with ya for a while!

I mean, really, you can't go wrong with 'em! (Well, almost...)
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turkey chili
Quote Reply
Re: Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
I don't eat meat but wife does. She picked up a little bit of prepared turkey to make sandwiches with the other leftovers. After having it a few years ago, she loves a sandwich with turkey, dressing, gravy, and cranberry sauce. All that between the bread.

We make those here, lovingly known as "Gobblers" - turkey, stuffing, cranberry grilled between 2 buttered slices of bread (think grilled cheese / panini ) and then covered or dipped in gravy, depending on who's eating.... so good. I actually make extra stuffing in a loaf pan - stuffing loaf! - that we can slice to put in these sandwiches...

@Steve: a 23lb turkey for 11 bucks is INSANE! That would cost $40 here, easy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turkey, Brie and cranberries on bread make a delightful sandwich. We’re going crazy for them rn.

I spent 50 minutes on a call today to my MIL thanking her for making us Thanksgiving dinner. What a sweet lady. She’s 86 years old and took such lovely care of us. She and I became choked up talking to each other. I don’t know why I live in perpetual fear of her.
Quote Reply
Re: Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em? [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well that's making my mouth water just reading your recipe.

TYVM

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My MIL is a wonderful woman who raised four kids after her jerk Army husband abandoned them. She's German---ardently so. Only two years ago did she finally become a US citizen

I recall back when our first child was just a baby. MIL was over at the house doing something with my wife---i was studying a large map in the dining room working on some map problem for the Infantry Officer Advanced Course. This was back before the Wall came down. So we were still working on defense of W Germany

MIL steps into dining room and looks at the map "Oh! Zees ist Germany. I half bein heer unt heer. Zee German maps zay are soo goot. Zee American maps zee are sooo bad....." I was 'yes ma'am" ing her up until the point she started in on criticizing "American" maps. WTH?

Whereupon i told her "It amazes me we kicked your ass in two World Wars with our bad maps!" Wife was shoving her out the door after that exchange

Over the years we've come to terms

/r

Steve
Last edited by: Steve Hawley: Nov 26, 21 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha ha! That sounds like a good, healthy debate with your MIL. I hope she’s still feisty and letting you know when you’re wrong, for your own good.

These parents are amazing. I just had a hilarious call with my parents. So much fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm triply blessed. I've a dog , a wife and MIL that let me know when I'm wrong

[and many correspondents here on this forum]

I'm blessed with kindly correction.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

simmer a mess of the sliced turkey remnants in a molé sauce of your choosing and get those tortillas you cook on the grill or skillet, with your normal add-ins (pickled jalapenos, sliced radish, guac, etc. you know the drill)

3 guesses what we're having tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em? [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so the tortillas are prepared on the side?

ready to be loaded and scooped with the yummy recipe you propose?

Is there a third source here where the jalapenos, radishes et al. are being heated up

This all sounds great! I'm just a little confused

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
I'm triply blessed. I've a dog , a wife and MIL that let me know when I'm wrong

[and many correspondents here on this forum]

I'm blessed with kindly correction.

/r

I’m carefully composing my list of your New Year’s Resolutions. I’d like to submit it to your wife for her revisions/final approval.

What’s gonna work? Teamwork!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're in collusion with my wife!?

I knew it

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Hot Brown sandwich, your welcome. I served this today for lunch. I have actually eaten this sandwich in the dinning room of the Brown Hotel. It’s hard to beat

https://cooking.nytimes.com/...es/1020198-hot-brown
Quote Reply
Re: Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em? [Decker21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok this is why I cook for a living. It looks like the link I posted for the hot brown sandwich is behind a pay or registration wall. If you search Kentucky hot brown sandwich you will see the NYT recipe and can bring it up. You just can’t copy the link to share with others.
Anyway great for leftovers
Quote Reply
Re: Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em? [Decker21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decker21 wrote:
Ok this is why I cook for a living. It looks like the link I posted for the hot brown sandwich is behind a pay or registration wall. If you search Kentucky hot brown sandwich you will see the NYT recipe and can bring it up. You just can’t copy the link to share with others.
Anyway great for leftovers

That looks amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em? [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
tigermilk wrote:

We make those here, lovingly known as "Gobblers" - turkey, stuffing, cranberry grilled between 2 buttered slices of bread (think grilled cheese / panini ) and then covered or dipped in gravy, depending on who's eating.... so good. I actually make extra stuffing in a loaf pan - stuffing loaf! - that we can slice to put in these sandwiches...

How the hell do you turn the sandwich? It's Dagwood sized
Quote Reply
Re: Turkey Day leftovers--what to do with em? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
snoots wrote:
tigermilk wrote:

How the hell do you turn the sandwich? It's Dagwood sized

Carefully? ;) Layer of turkey, layer of stuffing. spread cranberry on other piece of bread, easy-peasy... I made a Greek grilled cheese today that was more difficult than that.

We've tried all variations - whole fruit vs. jellied cranberry, Mayo/Miracle Whip (I learned this recently, many chefs will make grilled cheese with mayo instead of butter on the outside), covered in gravy vs. dipped, Tabasco sauce for spicier versions, aged cheddar cheese (the Balderson Heritage 5-yr is SO good)... my preference is as above...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jook or Congee, sort of a turkey/rice porridge. Can be done in the crock pot. Look forward to it every year. So good.
Quote Reply