Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alabama (Not the football team)
Quote | Reply
Still living in the 19th Century. (But thank you, Huntsville.)

Alabama’s capital city of Montgomery is facing legal action or a $25,000 fine for changing the name of a street bearing the name of a Confederate president for a prominent civil rights lawyer.

The state’s Republican attorney general acted after Montgomery city council voted to switch Jeff Davis Avenue, named for Jefferson Davis, to Fred D Gray Avenue, the 91-year-old lawyer who represented Rosa Parks and others in cases that challenged the state’s segregation practices.

Alabama’s 2017 Memorial Preservation Act, enacted after cities across the nation began to remove Confederate monuments, forbids the removal or alteration of monuments and memorials – including a memorial street or memorial building – that have stood for more than 40 years.

Several Alabama cities have opted to take down Confederate monuments and pay the $25,000 fine, including Huntsville, AKA Rocket City, where the US space program was originally centered, that voted for the removal of a memorial to an unnamed Confederate soldier last year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/alabama-city-told-to-keep-confederate-street-name-or-face-dollar25000-fine/ar-AAR8dUf?li=BBnbfcL

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Alabama (Not the football team) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's in the abstract not a bad idea. (Granted my view of how the law should work is probably not the intent of the law).

It creates a speed bump of sorts. Jeff Davis I'm okay paying 25K to remove, but not okay paying 25K to remove Abraham Lincoln because he wanted to create Liberia.
Quote Reply
Re: Alabama (Not the football team) [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
It's in the abstract not a bad idea. (Granted my view of how the law should work is probably not the intent of the law).

It creates a speed bump of sorts. Jeff Davis I'm okay paying 25K to remove, but not okay paying 25K to remove Abraham Lincoln because he wanted to create Liberia.
It would be sort of funny to find a city in Alabama with a street or school named after Lincoln (whether or not they'd be looking to change the name). Maybe there are some?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
windywave wrote:

It would be sort of funny to find a city in Alabama with a street or school named after Lincoln (whether or not they'd be looking to change the name). Maybe there are some?

There is a Lincoln Ave in Birmingham and there used to be a HSBC named the Lincoln School.

There is a town in Alabama named Lincoln and it has a high school named Lincoln High School. It is in one the reddest part of the state. .....but those are named after Major General Benjamin Lincoln, who served in the American army during the Revolutionary War.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Born and raised in Huntsville AL, but I haven't lived there in +20 years.

I always find it funny when people muse about their perceptions of the South and in this case Alabama and wondering if there is a street named Lincoln there. Yes, there are lots of them along with all sorts of other uses of that name.

By and large, the people that live in Alabama and other southern states are just normal people. I've had to deal with people my whole life casting shade my way or holding unfounded opinions of me when they learn I'm from Alabama. They never see the irony in their preconceived and bigoted notions of me.

Im not defending the actual topic you posted about, just taking issue with your follow up thought on thinking it funny if a street in Alabama was actually named Lincoln. I really do think some folks consider states in the south as other planets. It's strange.

Quote Reply
Re: Alabama (Not the football team) [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:

I always find it funny when people muse about their perceptions of the South and in this case Alabama and wondering if there is a street named Lincoln there. Yes, there are lots of them along with all sorts of other uses of that name.

By and large, the people that live in Alabama and other southern states are just normal people. I've had to deal with people my whole life casting shade my way or holding unfounded opinions of me when they learn I'm from Alabama. They never see the irony in their preconceived and bigoted notions of me.

Im not defending the actual topic you posted about, just taking issue with your follow up thought on thinking it funny if a street in Alabama was actually named Lincoln. I really do think some folks consider states in the south as other planets. It's strange.

Indeed. America would benefit from some kind of national service as it would remind everyone that America is actually fille with normal people.
Quote Reply
Re: Alabama (Not the football team) [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:

My experience with actually being in Alabama was a few weeks spent at Ft Rucker. Nice people.

But if there are other states that recently passed a law that fines cities for removing Confederate statues or renaming streets named after Confederate leaders, I'm not aware of it. (I wasn't aware there were streets and schools in Alabama named after Lincoln.) Politicians like George Wallace and Tommy Tuberville come across as a little odd to me too. Doesn't mean the people who live there are odd, and you can come up with wacky politicians from other states, but it's different.

Quote Reply