Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Salvation Army asks whites to apologize (CRT) [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Quote:
You are creating a false dichotomy. It's either "pennies on the dollar," or "everyone will get paid the same because capitalism fixes racism."

What you are neglecting is the degrees at which both racism and desire for profitability play. Just because someone would be willing to hire a black person, or a woman, or a gay person, etc. for pennies on the dollar, doesn't mean that they'll be willing to fire them for exactly the same rate as a straight white man. They may be willing to do it at 90% the rate. Or 80% the rate. Etc.

Your argument also assumes that hiring a black person won't impact profits. What if their position is, for example, sales, or as a model, or spokesperson, and they are in a community/industry where people would just rather interact with a straight white male?

Better points, but let me explain why you're not right here. I see a lot of emotions get roiled up when I talk about people, so let me give an example with stocks and once the concept is clear, we'll transfer that back to people.

The stock market finds prices for stocks. Let's take Amazon for instance. There may be a lot of people that hate Amazon. There may be a lot of people completely ignorant of Amazon. There may be a lot of people without the accounting and financial chops to evaluate Amazon. And all those groups could be a vast majority of purchasers for all I know. But the stock market will still find a "correct" price for Amazon and other stocks that have proven to be largely impossible for the best fund managers to consistently beat. (And there's plenty of debate as to whether the best are simply the luckiest, because as we are constantly reminded -- past performance is not an indicator of future returns.) People can buy stocks and lose money. People can still buy stocks and make money. If you had one type of stock that ALWAYS made money then you would buy it up until it got to a price where it would make and lose money largely as other stocks would expect to.

This same phenomenon happens in the work place all the time. People get employees for "pennies on the dollar" all the time. They're called good employees. People get ripped off on employees all the time. They're called bad employees. Really the pricing model suggests that people are paid what they are expected to be worth. If it was obvious that one race, sex, or class of employees was just as good as the others for a cheaper price (or any other mathematical configuration of the same concept) then employers would swoop them up. Swooping them up, of course, until the price goes up.

And this is like stock pricing in that the majority by-standers are largely irrelevant.

You keep answering as if you believe racists think rationally. The very nature of bigotry of all kinds is that it is not based in reason and logic. It might be perfectly logical to hire "x" group. But people bigoted against x's are not making rational decisions based on sound economic principles. They often think they are being perfectly reasonable in discriminating against them, x's are unreliable, lazy, steal, do drugs, customers don't like them, ... Market forces are not going to correct that.

And just because a small subset of employers do make a rational choice does not make up for it. We have a very long history of racism and sexism to fall back on for reference points that illustrate this. We aren't just speculating.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Salvation Army asks whites to apologize (CRT) [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We aren't just speculating.

That was my original point when I said, "In 1969 they didn't have black players." The point was, capitalism has been around for a pretty long time, with actual, clear, indisputable, examples of racism rampant throughout industries. If capitalism is the one great solution, then how come it didn't solve the problem? Or if it allegedly did solve a problem, why did it take so long?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
SH wrote:
Quote:
You are creating a false dichotomy. It's either "pennies on the dollar," or "everyone will get paid the same because capitalism fixes racism."

What you are neglecting is the degrees at which both racism and desire for profitability play. Just because someone would be willing to hire a black person, or a woman, or a gay person, etc. for pennies on the dollar, doesn't mean that they'll be willing to fire them for exactly the same rate as a straight white man. They may be willing to do it at 90% the rate. Or 80% the rate. Etc.

Your argument also assumes that hiring a black person won't impact profits. What if their position is, for example, sales, or as a model, or spokesperson, and they are in a community/industry where people would just rather interact with a straight white male?

Better points, but let me explain why you're not right here. I see a lot of emotions get roiled up when I talk about people, so let me give an example with stocks and once the concept is clear, we'll transfer that back to people.

The stock market finds prices for stocks. Let's take Amazon for instance. There may be a lot of people that hate Amazon. There may be a lot of people completely ignorant of Amazon. There may be a lot of people without the accounting and financial chops to evaluate Amazon. And all those groups could be a vast majority of purchasers for all I know. But the stock market will still find a "correct" price for Amazon and other stocks that have proven to be largely impossible for the best fund managers to consistently beat. (And there's plenty of debate as to whether the best are simply the luckiest, because as we are constantly reminded -- past performance is not an indicator of future returns.) People can buy stocks and lose money. People can still buy stocks and make money. If you had one type of stock that ALWAYS made money then you would buy it up until it got to a price where it would make and lose money largely as other stocks would expect to.

This same phenomenon happens in the work place all the time. People get employees for "pennies on the dollar" all the time. They're called good employees. People get ripped off on employees all the time. They're called bad employees. Really the pricing model suggests that people are paid what they are expected to be worth. If it was obvious that one race, sex, or class of employees was just as good as the others for a cheaper price (or any other mathematical configuration of the same concept) then employers would swoop them up. Swooping them up, of course, until the price goes up.

And this is like stock pricing in that the majority by-standers are largely irrelevant.

You keep answering as if you believe racists think rationally. The very nature of bigotry of all kinds is that it is not based in reason and logic. It might be perfectly logical to hire "x" group. But people bigoted against x's are not making rational decisions based on sound economic principles. They often think they are being perfectly reasonable in discriminating against them, x's are unreliable, lazy, steal, do drugs, customers don't like them, ... Market forces are not going to correct that.

And just because a small subset of employers do make a rational choice does not make up for it. We have a very long history of racism and sexism to fall back on for reference points that illustrate this. We aren't just speculating.

That's sort of what I was trying to get at before. I don't think in most situations it would be so obvious that say a black hire is just as good as white hire or even better. And it would be easy enough to dismiss it even if they were. I mean, how good does a truck driver need to be, or someone working at Walmart stocking shelves?

It also ignores that for most high paying jobs you need extensive education or training to even qualify for the position in the first place. I don't think most Universities were so hurting for quality students that they needed to admit black students or else be left behind.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Dec 2, 21 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
. But people bigoted against x's are not making rational decisions based on sound economic principles.

Or sometimes they are making decisions based on sound economic principles, but in market conditions biased towards bigotry (CRT alert!). E.g. someone opening a store in one of the rural whitetopias might rationally pick a white person to be the public-facing presence in the store as a perfectly rational business decision even if, they, themselves, do not personally hold bigoted beliefs.
Quote Reply
Re: Salvation Army asks whites to apologize (CRT) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
j p o wrote:
. But people bigoted against x's are not making rational decisions based on sound economic principles.

Or sometimes they are making decisions based on sound economic principles, but in market conditions biased towards bigotry (CRT alert!). E.g. someone opening a store in one of the rural whitetopias might rationally pick a white person to be the public-facing presence in the store as a perfectly rational business decision even if, they, themselves, do not personally hold bigoted beliefs.

Pretty sure this was the argument why for years well after the civil rights movements major magazines were hesitant to put black people on their covers. It hurt sales, still might for all I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Salvation Army asks whites to apologize (CRT) [0ddl0t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see a scientifically based white paper as to why the USA achieved dominance after ~ 200 years of being created but all the other long-lived nations were sub par and or poverty? What made the difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Salvation Army asks whites to apologize (CRT) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
j p o wrote:

IOW, capitalism doesn't reduce racism. It only reduces it when being racist loses money. It will make it worse when being racist makes you money.

I'd also like to add to the discussion that these economic pressures are only in place when the oppressed group is big enough to make a difference. Colleges and pro teams picked up black athletes because their were a ton of really good ones out there. That doesn't imply, however, that big pharma would be economically driven to hire up all of the black scientists.

Quote Reply
Re: Salvation Army asks whites to apologize (CRT) [TriFortMill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFortMill wrote:
I'd like to see a scientifically based white paper as to why the USA achieved dominance after ~ 200 years of being created but all the other long-lived nations were sub par and or poverty? What made the difference?

We hummed along nicely from 1890 - WW2 because we had a wide array of natural resources. We have the largest corn fields AND one of the largest petroleum reserves in the world. Think about that. The farm countries don't have oil and the oil countries don't have farmable land. Plus a strategic advantage of oceans between us and our potential enemies. After WW2 we were the only industrial nation not in rubble.

I mean that really is about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFortMill wrote:

Two oceans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The oil fields and farmland were also obtained for free after the disposal and forced relocation of the indigenous populations and annexation of several Mexican states without any intervention from other countries.
Add Monroe doctrine of "not my monkeys, not my circus" policy of not letting people interfere with their home business and not intervening in conflicts far from home.
Considering people as property for free labour also helped.

And you got yourself a nice recipe for success, minus a bruised ego against Canada, a brutal civil war, dust bowls, women's vote resistance, 1.5 years of WW1, great depression, temperance laws, 3 years of WW2, civil rights resistance, cronyism and lobbying dirty tactics, involvement in the wrong wars and the XFL.

It is a remarkable country though and it never ceases to amaze me, and I mean it.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

And just because a small subset of employers do make a rational choice does not make up for it.

I'm not saying that racists think rationally. I'm saying that as the level of racism decreases racists rapidly lose control of the market and become greatly constrained by the market. To the extent that humans are just inputs into businesses like any other business input then I'd say that the market does an excellent job pricing talent. That is good news for people wishing to live a life that includes escape valves from dependence on irrational "isms".

That's not saying that business owners or managers that prize their "isms" over money aren't going to exist or aren't going to practice their "isms". It just means they don't control the market.

However, to the extent that humans are not like other business inputs -- other business inputs don't get promotions, or specialized internal development and benefits -- then I would expect irrationality and "isms" to either play a role, or be perceived to play a role. So I do sympathize with the potential issue involving BarryPs wife.

Edit to add: So with the caveats in place above -- yeah, market forces are going to correct that.
Last edited by: SH: Dec 3, 21 4:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
That's not saying that business owners or managers that prize their "isms" over money aren't going to exist or aren't going to practice their "isms". It just means they don't control the market.

As far as I know my dad never cut a black person's hair, he did concede to the influx of Hispanics over the course of his business' lifespan. I guess that did open the niche for the black barbershops, or at least allowed them to continue to be without having to compete with my dad's business.
Quote Reply
Re: Salvation Army asks whites to apologize (CRT) [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
IOW, capitalism doesn't reduce racism. It only reduces it when being racist loses money. It will make it worse when being racist makes you money.

Yes, capitalism isn't magic. I also never claimed it as some foolish term for "everything against racism". It has systemic mechanisms. These mechanisms, in our environment, reduce racism.

Most racism is irrational. Irrationality in capitalism loses money. Capitalism doesn't like to lose, or even gain less, money. IOW capitalism does reduce racism.
Last edited by: SH: Dec 3, 21 5:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Quote:

Yes, capitalism isn't magic. It's also not some foolish term for "everything against racism". It has systemic mechanisms. These mechanisms, in our environment, reduce racism.

Most racism is irrational. Irrationality in capitalism loses money. Capitalism doesn't like to lose, or even gain less, money. IOW capitalism does reduce racism.

It's an interesting argument given that I think a case could probably be made that the whole modern phenomenon of race and racism was concocted in order to justify exploitation of cheap labor sources for capitalism.

I also don't quite get how if capitalism reduces racism that it didn't seem to be doing any good up until the civil rights movements of the 60s.
Quote Reply
Re: Salvation Army asks whites to apologize (CRT) [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I also don't quite get how if capitalism reduces racism that it didn't seem to be doing any good up until the civil rights movements of the 60s.

Maybe this is just the story we tell ourselves. I don't want to take anything deserved away from the civil rights movement of the 60s. I think it did a lot of good -- most importantly by eliminating racist laws. However, a lot of the ground work involved the ramp up in black education and earning power from the 1940's. That's not all capitalism -- the claim was never that it was ALL capitalism -- but capitalism was certainly involved and it was certainly part of things improving before the 1960s. Getting rid of racist laws, fortunately, frees the mechanisms in capitalism to work even better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not saying that racists think rationally. I'm saying that as the level of racism decreases racists rapidly lose control of the market and become greatly constrained by the market.

I don't disagree with this. So if this is the main point you were making, then I agree.

FWIW, I've made a similar argument for years regarding women in the workplace.

Quote Reply

Prev Next