Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2700 square feet. Two years ago we took the inground pool out of the backyard. Just two of us now. Three years ago the second child left. For three years we added a few international students because I like the activity of having kids around. It feels pretty empty. Now would be a good time to downsize I think but it is a hassle.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not just Australians. My parents repeatedly refer to our house as a starter home, it's worth 7 figures. They live in a four bedroom house and can't recall when they last went upstairs.

My in-laws live in a 6000 sqf two bedroom house. It is a massive waste of space and environmental disaster. Not enough bedrooms for their children to visit but 10 places to randomly sit and drink wine.
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you get to 6k sqft with 2 bedrooms? Even with each being massive, there must be so many other rooms.

2100sqft townhouse (technically small lot single family) - we've also got a built out roof that's another 700sqft about but that's the primary outdoor space. Four bedroom, but two of the bedrooms are offices right now/potentially permanently. Smallest was our Brooklyn apartment - I think that was about 600sqft. Luckily it had basement storage and a little balcony, so it worked out well.
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
I typed a detailed post, and then thought twice before posting because I don't want to come off as a dick...well, anymore than usual anyway.

Generally speaking, Australian houses are massive compared to similar countries and Im actually glad to hear you guys aren't as obsessed with housing as much as we are

We won’t negatively judge you for having a palace, although we do wear shirts that say “Eat the Rich.”
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, definitely not rich
Just a contractor that happened to buy at the right time (land) and was able to do a lot of the work myself (its still not finished, but getting close) so was able to build a pretty big house for the money spent
House is ~6500 sqft with a 1500sqft garage and about another 1500sqft of undercover outdoor areas
4 bed (all with ensuites), 5 bath total, with a 25m lap pool running down the middle of the block and the house wraps around the pool.
The point of the house was that it was to be my display home. A showcase of what I could design and build without having to invest in a dedicated display home (which you then need to staff, etc) but life took a turn and that never happened
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mom used to clean houses. She would describe places where you couldn't find your spouse without the intercom system. A rich local farmer just built a 7000 sq ft home for him and his wife. They have 5 acres of lawn and 300 ft of concrete driveway. One of my pts remarked that the driveway costed more than his house.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
Yeah, definitely not rich
Just a contractor that happened to buy at the right time (land) and was able to do a lot of the work myself (its still not finished, but getting close) so was able to build a pretty big house for the money spent
House is ~6500 sqft with a 1500sqft garage and about another 1500sqft of undercover outdoor areas
4 bed (all with ensuites), 5 bath total, with a 25m lap pool running down the middle of the block and the house wraps around the pool.
The point of the house was that it was to be my display home. A showcase of what I could design and build without having to invest in a dedicated display home (which you then need to staff, etc) but life took a turn and that never happened

Pictures? We have a couple larger houses with in our neighborhood, a 10k that used to be owned by a retired famous sports writer and multiple 5-6k homes. For me, it just becomes how much home can you actually maintain correctly. With that said, I would love the big garage!
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is 3000 sf on 4.4 acres. We have 1400 sf of unfinished bonus space up stairs with 8 foot ceilings. We will probably be finishing it within the next 6 months to add value to the house so we can sell it - hopefully in the next 3 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
As noted in Sphere’s thread 3600 sq/ft. In college I lived for two years in a roughly 750 sq/ft apartment with 4 other guys. 1920’s unrenovated 4 bd/1ba with two dudes sharing the “big” bedroom. That was cozy.
I bet the house smelled funky.

My home is 1400 sf with a 320 sf ADU.

Quote | Reply
shoff14 wrote:
Pictures? We have a couple larger houses with in our neighborhood, a 10k that used to be owned by a retired famous sports writer and multiple 5-6k homes. For me, it just becomes how much home can you actually maintain correctly. With that said, I would love the big garage!
That makes me wonder. Quite a few large houses around here with 3 and 4-car garages. But do they ever park any vehicles inside the garage? They always seem to have 2-3 vehicles semi-permanently parked in their driveways. Maybe the garage is for storage, and the vehicles are banished to staying outdoors?

Of course it's a similar thing with some of the smaller houses here. A 2-car garage with a couple of vehicles in the driveway and another vehicle parked in the street.

This makes me wonder, how many vehicles do you need/own? Not even counting RV's/4-wheelers. (Another poll question?)

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
that happened to buy at the right time

This. When I was getting ready to buy, I looked at probably at least 100 houses. It was my first time so I wanted to be quite thorough. Ha. I had a very good realtor who preached location location location, and she had a good hunch that where I bought was going to explode. She was right. I bought at $85 per square foot. Everything in my neighborhood is now selling at $300 per square foot and above.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the building trade for many years.
A 2 x 4 is not, neither is a 4 x 8, and a square is still a square (100 sr ft)

What always amazed me was how many trades have never really converted to metric and half of them grew up in Europe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my wife's ex-bosses has a property in Portola Valley that is around 200 acres. The main house is about 25,000 square feet and has an underground garage with a white marble slab floor that has 28 cars in it.

He built a stream and a lake on the property.

The "boat house" on the lake is for guests and parties. It's about 18,000 square feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I know why there are "Mother-in-Law Suites" but it would just smell like pee and old books

At least I can keep her room clean and make sure her laundry is taken care of

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next