Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What are you most thankful for 2021
Quote | Reply
I have not yet seen a thread this year, so, forgive me if I missed it.

I will start:

1. I am thankful to be going back to the corporate world next month. April 2020, RIF, completed an MBA in August 2021, several job interviews later. I mentioned in this thread. I did trim the beard and hair, and, while I cannot appropriately virtue signal, please know I did donate the sacrificed to charity.

2. I am thankful for general health, for myself and family members, though all is relative.

3. I am thankful for the revisions to the GI Bill, that enabled me to pursue an MBA at very little cost. When I enlisted in 99, and throughout undergrad, the education benefits for US servicemembers were not what they are today. Thankful for all the advocates the helped make the improvements happen.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you most thankful for 2021 [Helltrack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moving back to El Paso, TX. My wife's family is there. COVID-19 has been hard on her family. She misses them a lot. I'm glad we get to move back and also have our young children grow up with family around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have just started quarantine in Australia. I am thankful that I will be able to spend Christmas and New Year with my family and friends for the first time in 5 years.

Having spent most of the pandemic outside of Australia, I am thankful that my family and most of my friends have access to safe, effect vaccines and modern medical facilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my ability to run (I need to change my sig line). I had a fracture this summer that required surgery and I spent three months fearful I'd never run again.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the new job!

For me:

That I got to see my little people multiple times this year after not seeing them for over a year. I didn't see them from Christmas 2019 until July 2021.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am thankful for my family. It may sound cliche but they are my reason for pushing through the tough times. While it would be nice to travel to see extended family, I am more than happy to be home with my immediate family

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The vaccine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently sat on the sofa with the log burner blasting out heat and the dog curled around my feet, waiting patiently to walk in the forest.

Life threw us some curve balls this year but grateful to just be happy and content with the simple things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm grateful that we are healthy and extremely fortunate.

I wasn't thrilled about getting pregnant with our third child and I am extremely grateful that he is a healthy baby and I'm now thrilled that I get to do this again.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you most thankful for 2021 [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am thankful for every morning I wake up and am able to hobble to the potty and get a good cup of coffee. A lot of can't do what I used to do, in my life, but still very thankful for all the blessings I have. Air going in and out and blood going roundy round is a pretty cool hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Family
Training Partner
Job
The abiltity at 58 almost 59 to keep improving athletically

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vaccines

Vaccines

Vaccines and then

Having had the opportunity to work on the Vax program. As frustrating as it was, I felt I contributed in a small way

A new role with a solid firm doing good work in the healthcare design / built infrastructure space. Infrastructure will need to change to meet the future needs and changes in practice and it's interesting work

Taking up bjj......should have done it years ago. 160 hours in and have never felt both so incompetent and engaged in anything.

The opportunity to move back to the UK to see family

The opportunity to move back and realise I feel more European than British and we'd probably relocate back 🤣
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband who is a saint :)
My 3 cats
My home in the woods
Our new Endless Pool.
Getting over the worst of planter fasciitis. Maybe running soon
And yes the vaccines

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m happy for the rational people in the world who just keep plugging away and getting stuff done. I’m so glad for visits with family this year. I’m glad for in-person learning. I’m thankful for modern medicine.

To Ironnerd: I’m psyched you’re home in Australia. Five years is a long time! I bet your family and friends are weeping tears of joy that they get to see you.

To slink: Three’s the magic number! You’re outnumbered and at their mercy now, which is good. Teach them mercy!
Quote Reply
Re: What are you most thankful for 2021 [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
I am thankful for every morning I wake up and am able to hobble to the potty and get a good cup of coffee.

I'm trying not to judge, but that's a strange place to brew your coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am grateful to have great friends and thankful for my health, wellbeing and to be in the position to help others.

Quote | Reply
So many things . . .
But first one that came to mind is regarding our 3 1/2 yr old granddaughter. About a year and a half ago, she seemed to have hit a wall in development. She was not learning to talk, and there were a number of issues that didn't seem right. Her Mom did a great job getting her seen and evaluated. She became a fantastic advocate. Long story, but was diagnosed on Autism spectrum with sensory issues. Bless the Speech Pathologists and OTs who have been working with her as well as preK folks she's been going to since summer. She is doing exceptionally well! She was formally diagnosed with CAS (Child Apraxia of Speech) when she turned 3. I will never forget the 1st time she said "hi grandpa" a few months ago. She is difficult to understand, but her vocabulary is huge and growing all the time, and she is getting easier to understand. She is so patient with everyone when she is trying to say something and is not understood. She just keeps trying until we figure it out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One year ago I was on a bike ride and hit from behind by a truck doing about 50 mph. Injuries weren't nearly as bad as they could have been and by March I was in pretty good shape. I'm 99% recovered at this point. Probably for the rest of my life any time there's a chance to be thankful I'll be thankful that all the really bad things that could've happened on that day didn't happen.
Quote Reply