Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
The US fetishises grabbing a readily available gun and shooting the object of your ire. They do it a lot, hundreds of times a day. They do it so much, that they think it is "normal". It's really not.

Hundreds of times a day?
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:

The US fetishises grabbing a readily available gun and shooting the object of your ire. They do it a lot, hundreds of times a day. They do it so much, that they think it is "normal". It's really not.

Hundreds of times a day?

Over 100K people per year are shot as far as I can tell. That's ~270/day. Maybe around 200 if you don't count suicide....though "shooting the object of your ire" prettty grimly also describes suicide for some.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 24, 21 17:51
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was assuming he meant deaths. I was surprised that the number of suicides by firearm far outweighs the number of homicides by firearm.

Stats I was looking at show ~40k deaths per year by firearm.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Nov 24, 21 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A better thread title - assault someone with a deadly weapon then point a gun at them....get shot.

I think this is a sadder case and in my opinion the officer was negligent.

https://www.denverpost.com/...g-guns-self-defense/
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
mattbk wrote:

It really comes down to the way people behave behind the wheel.

No, it really comes down to the options available to the person aggrieved. People from any country can recognise the rage being parodied in the cartoon. The ragers can scream themselves hoarse, they can call the cops, they can go home and kick the dog & then forget about it.

Point being, behind the wheel brings out the worst in humans. I've seen plenty of road rage incidents, and the online ones are the worst. Plenty of ones with people swerving and/or hitting bikes on purpose. It's bizarre the way some behave shielded by their car. So this adds a supposed pregnant librarian with a gun to the story. What could possibly have led to this on the road to be worth a gun fight...

https://www.usatoday.com/...ge-michigan/2841069/

https://www.kmov.com/...a3-9ba00fad6172.html

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/crime/argument-drivers-shooting-i-170-hazelwood/63-1b702caa-ef75-4a2f-a465-87966c50f800
Last edited by: mattbk: Nov 24, 21 19:41
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A sadder case than a pregnant women getting shot on her doorstep? Yeah sure, since this is a political issue to you and you’ve convinced yourself there is a right and wrong side. For the non-subhumans, not even close.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:

Hundreds of times a day?

Over 100K people per year are shot as far as I can tell. That's ~270/day. Maybe around 200 if you don't count suicide....though "shooting the object of your ire" prettty grimly also describes suicide for some.

Yep, I meant hundreds, and I meant shootings (there was a hint in my use of the word "shooting").

Reliable stats are surprisingly hard to find in the US, not least because of the success of the NRA in lobbying to limit CDC research, so you actually have no official database. The best unofficial database might be from the Brady Project. They say this:

Statistics on Daily Gun Violence in America Daily Gun Violence Impacting People of All Ages in the U.S.

Every day, 316 people are shot in the United States. Among those:

• 106 people are shot and killed
  • 210 survive gunshot injuries
  • 95 are intentionally shot by someone else and survive
  • 39 are murdered
  • 64 die from gun suicide
  • 10 survive an attempted gun suicide
  • 1 is killed unintentionally
  • 90 are shot unintentionally and survive
  • 1 is killed by legal intervention*
  • 4 are shot by legal intervention and survive
  • 1 died but the intent was unknown
  • 12 are shot and survive but the intent was unknown

So yeah, hundreds is pretty accurate. And yes, that is fucking insane.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
0ddl0t wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Two idiots made for one another. One dead, the other traumatized but alive. I guess it never occurred to either one just to call the police and wait?

The motorcyclist she intentionally rammed did call police while she was fleeing the scene. He and a witness followed her while still on the phone with 911.

Quote:
Investigators said Morales was behind the wheel of a blue Kia when she intentionally hit the motorcycle in the 1400 block of N. Volusia Ave. and then fled the scene, traveling southbound on U.S. Highway 17-92. The motorcyclist and a witness followed Morales to the intersection of 17-92 and Wisconsin Ave, where they attempted to get her to stop.

The motorcyclist and witness continued to follow Morales to her home while also contacting law enforcement, authorities said.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/...ooting-was-aggressor

triguy101 wrote:
Lesson: get the plate of the car and call it in.

And watch the driver get away with attempted murder/assault with a deadly weapon (especially if in a stolen car or registered in someone else's name).

Remember how seriously the police initially took the rolling coal kid hitting a pack of cyclists?

If they followed her to a house and she went inside. All they needed to do was sit outside, inform the police of the address and wait for them to show up.

All they needed to do was sit which house she pulled into and then sit down the street waiting for the cops.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [daustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daustin wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
0ddl0t wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Two idiots made for one another. One dead, the other traumatized but alive. I guess it never occurred to either one just to call the police and wait?

The motorcyclist she intentionally rammed did call police while she was fleeing the scene. He and a witness followed her while still on the phone with 911.

Quote:
Investigators said Morales was behind the wheel of a blue Kia when she intentionally hit the motorcycle in the 1400 block of N. Volusia Ave. and then fled the scene, traveling southbound on U.S. Highway 17-92. The motorcyclist and a witness followed Morales to the intersection of 17-92 and Wisconsin Ave, where they attempted to get her to stop.

The motorcyclist and witness continued to follow Morales to her home while also contacting law enforcement, authorities said.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/...ooting-was-aggressor

triguy101 wrote:
Lesson: get the plate of the car and call it in.

And watch the driver get away with attempted murder/assault with a deadly weapon (especially if in a stolen car or registered in someone else's name).

Remember how seriously the police initially took the rolling coal kid hitting a pack of cyclists?

If they followed her to a house and she went inside. All they needed to do was sit outside, inform the police of the address and wait for them to show up.

All they needed to do was sit which house she pulled into and then sit down the street waiting for the cops.

As long as they could identify the driver visually all they needed to do was jot down the plate number and call the cops. No need to follow her home at all. The police know where you live.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
daustin wrote:

As long as they could identify the driver visually all they needed to do was jot down the plate number and call the cops. No need to follow her home at all. The police know where you live.

Could be stolen, could be a friend’s car, could be a rental. All things that could delay or prevent the effectiveness of prosecuting.

I’m not saying I would be getting out of my car and going up to the house as an antagonist. But you better believe if someone hits me and I’m OK, or hits my family member, or I witness it and I have the opportunity to follow, I will be doing so. Barring any other glaring safety issue that would make the risk/reward slant out of my favor.

Nothing wrong with following them. It’s public roads up until their dwelling.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
chriskal wrote:
daustin wrote:

Could be stolen, could be a friend’s car, could be a rental. All things that could delay or prevent the effectiveness of prosecuting.

I’m not saying I would be getting out of my car and going up to the house as an antagonist. But you better believe if someone hits me and I’m OK, or hits my family member, or I witness it and I have the opportunity to follow, I will be doing so. Barring any other glaring safety issue that would make the risk/reward slant out of my favor.

Are you under the impression that people that Re in possession of stolen cars routinely just drive them around and take them to their own home? The rest of those issues aren’t really impediments to prosecution.

Risk/reward in escalating beyond calling in a plate doesn’t compute.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
chriskal wrote:
daustin wrote:

Are you under the impression that people that Re in possession of stolen cars routinely just drive them around and take them to their own home? The rest of those issues aren’t really impediments to prosecution.

I don't see what the big deal is in following them. If it escalates or something, you can always just stop following them, or drive away if you're parked near the house.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
chriskal wrote:
daustin wrote:

nothing illegal about following the person but following the person who hit you and drove off is escalating the situation. And now a person is dead. Obviously sounds like self defense but following her home put him there to confront her. And justified or not, I think killing somebody sticks with you you’re entire life.

If they called 911 I’m curious if he was told not to follower her especially given they had her plate number, vehicle description, and witnesses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
chriskal wrote:
daustin wrote:

The only way to know they "take them to their own home" is if you follow them, not just note plate and call it in.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattbk wrote:
chriskal wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
chriskal wrote:
daustin wrote:

The only way to know they "take them to their own home" is if you follow them, not just note plate and call it in.

Ok Marshall Dillon, you do you. However, stolen cars are either used to commit other crimes/joyrides and then dumped or taken to chop shops. Virtually Nobody steals a car, pretends it’s a rental, and then uses it to run errands, go to work, pick the kids up from soccer etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
chriskal wrote:
daustin wrote:

Which is exactly why the person followed. ?

If someone hits me and runs. And it’s a stolen vehicle, then if I follow them safely it’s a perfectly reasonable risk to possibly help ensure the police are effective in their pursuit. The opportunity cost is worth it.

If it’s not stolen then they have the correct address regardless.

If it is stolen or the person goes somewhere else then the police may have another lead to go on to apprehend the person, since the address on file for the plate won’t give them anything.

How is the car and person being somewhere other than where the car is registered not an impediment?
Quote Reply
Re: Follow someone, shoot them, claim self-defense... [daustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daustin wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
chriskal wrote:
daustin wrote:

nothing illegal about following the person but following the person who hit you and drove off is escalating the situation. And now a person is dead. Obviously sounds like self defense but following her home put him there to confront her. And justified or not, I think killing somebody sticks with you you’re entire life.

If they called 911 I’m curious if he was told not to follower her especially given they had her plate number, vehicle description, and witnesses.

Which is why I said I wouldn’t get out of my car and confront them. Following them at a safe and reasonable distance to gain more information? Sure. As long as there aren’t any obvious other threats or reasons not to.

We apparently disagree that simply following the person is escalating the situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:

Ok Marshall Dillon, you do you. However, stolen cars are either used to commit other crimes/joyrides and then dumped or taken to chop shops. Virtually Nobody steals a car, pretends it’s a rental, and then uses it to run errands, go to work, pick the kids up from soccer etc.

Also you seem like someone pissed in your cereal this morning, or ate all the stuffing last night.

You good?
Quote Reply

Prev Next