Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which two nations? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
The right wingers look at Saudi Arabia today as a good model.
?)

You spelled Singapore wrong
Is Singapore a "one religion" country?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Which two nations? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
?)

I guess you and I are defining the right differently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is there are two groups on the right. Reasonable Republicans (often called RINO’s) and Trump Republicans

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Which two nations? [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Well given the task to describe two nations so opposed---i would go with France and a rising Germanic state being built by Bismark. Here me out. I am NOT speaking to the wars (1870, etc) so much as I am speaking to the tension between the lingering Fr Revolution and the rising Ger national state.

/r

I don’t disagree with you at all. And while you were not speaking directly of the wars, we all know how that turned out. Not good.
Quote Reply
Re: Which two nations? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turned out pretty good for the Krupps!

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
?)

Well, sure, since I believe you previously comped the right to the 1775 colonies, which would place Boebert, Cruz, trump and MTG on par with Washington, Jefferson and Franklin. Sorry man, but that is just gross.
Quote Reply
Re: Which two nations? [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
turned out pretty good for the Krupps!

/r

True. But most of us aren’t Krupps.
Quote Reply
Re: Which two nations? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
The problem is there are two groups on the right. Reasonable Republicans (often called RINO’s) and Trump Republicans
I took the exercise to mean the far left and the far right, the extremists.

I left all the reasonable people in the middle out.
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Which two nations? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
jkstevens wrote:
The left... I'm not sure there's anything out there that the left wishes to be.

Norway?

Interesting thread. I was thinking about this in a different context. Every election you hear about people saying “if xxxx wins the election then I am moving.” It’s typically an empty promise. But if the prototypic righty or left of today were to leave which country fits what they desire? Taking away the language barrier and ease of entry/integration of course
I was thinking much more left than even Norway. Maybe Norway on steroids? Or, quaaludes...
Quote Reply
Re: Which two nations? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Middle Earth and Adjikistan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

?)

That's possible. But..........

You don’t come to the Rev. John Hagee’s church only to hear about the amazing grace of God. On Saturday (Nov. 13), a crowd packed the sanctuary of Cornerstone Church in San Antonio, Texas, to sing hymns to Jesus but also listen to a Who’s Who of Christian nationalists, anti-vaxxers, Trump loyalists and conspiracy theorists tell President Biden to go to hell.

While it made headlines thanks to former Trump National Security Adviser Michael Flynn urging the United States to “embrace one religion,” the three-day event and the latest stop of the “Reawaken America Tour,” was remarkable in itself for its collection of election conspiracy theorists, such as My Pillow CEO Michael J. Lindell and Flynn, alongside Alex Jones of Info Wars and anti-vaxx champion Sherri Tenpenny.

Attendance was filled out by Q-Anon true believers and pro-Trump preachers and activists, all of whom periodically filled the air with chants of “Let’s Go Brandon” — a workaround for an obscene anti-Biden chant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/attending-michael-flynns-call-for-one-religion-a-whos-who-of-the-new-christian-right/2021/11/15/fa064e8c-4663-11ec-beca-3cc7103bd814_story.html

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we look at the main center of gravity for both parties:

Republicans are Russia. A kleptocracy that heavily focuses on family, Christianity, glories of the past (and of course ignoring the horrors of the past), "masculitinity", military worship, love of fossil fuels, and a veneer of democracy. It is a pretty damn good fit.

Democrats are something like Canada, but with a larger military. A multiracial democracy that welcomes immigrants, a complicated relationship with fossil fuels,
Quote Reply
Re: Which two nations? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:

Republicans are Russia. A kleptocracy that heavily focuses on family, Christianity, glories of the past (and of course ignoring the horrors of the past), "masculitinity", military worship, love of fossil fuels, and a veneer of democracy. It is a pretty damn good fit.

Democrats are something like Canada, but with a larger military. A multiracial democracy that welcomes immigrants, a complicated relationship with fossil fuels,

The democratic policies tend to be give away s to the upper middle class cloaked in anti-poverty spin IMO. Free college - huge give away to the upper middle class - if you wanted to spend that schooling money on the poor you would put it into pre-school and k-12 wrap arounds. SALT tax exemptions- total give away to the upper middle class. Encouraging public schools over charters- totally reinforces the current system of allocating public school quality based on housing budget- creating huge barriers to entry to the best schools- million plus dollar buy ins in some places.
Quote Reply
Re: Which two nations? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
?)

Well, sure, since I believe you previously comped the right to the 1775 colonies, which would place Boebert, Cruz, trump and MTG on par with Washington, Jefferson and Franklin. Sorry man, but that is just gross.

You disappoint me.

Rural/non-urban population
A gun in every home
Anti omnipotent government
Conservative Christianity as the center of civic and social life
Pro personal freedom
Protestant work ethic
Self sufficiency

Et al
Quote Reply
Re: Which two nations? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
chaparral wrote:

The democratic policies tend to be give away s to the upper middle class cloaked in anti-poverty spin IMO. Free college - huge give away to the upper middle class - if you wanted to spend that schooling money on the poor you would put it into pre-school and k-12 wrap arounds. SALT tax exemptions- total give away to the upper middle class. Encouraging public schools over charters- totally reinforces the current system of allocating public school quality based on housing budget- creating huge barriers to entry to the best schools- million plus dollar buy ins in some places.

So you agree with Canada with a larger military then? Because it sounds like you are agreeing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
chriskal wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
?)

You disappoint me.

Rural/non-urban population
A gun in every home
Anti omnipotent government
Conservative Christianity as the center of civic and social life
Pro personal freedom
Protestant work ethic
Self sufficiency

Et al

I like how you in this thread are saying the Republican nation would be as you described above and also Singapore. Which, I shouldn't have to say this, but are basically totally opposites. Singapore is in no way "Rural/non-urban", or guns, anti-ompnipotent government, etc. You clearly have no idea what Singapore is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the left would be closer to the Netherlands / Germany than France but it is all degrees

The right towards Hungary / Poland and that rising beacon of authoritarianism, the UK, and before anyone jumps on me, whilst it is slightly tongue in cheek, you should check out the changing rules on repealing citizenship and the views on refugees and europe
Quote Reply
Re: Which two nations? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the drive towards either extreme is disheartening indeed. You'd think we'd learned our lessons?

Dan's OP referenced a essay (paywall prevents me from reading it) but our Nation was divided as Lincoln took office. A mercantile/industrial North vs a agrarian slave based economy South.

We're no where near that divided today and there is more that holds us together than drives us apart. Some of the current 'hype' is just that "hype." Media driven 'clicks' to generate revenue. We've been thru this before. "Remember the Maine!" Yellow journalism and jingoism taking the place of informed news.

You see it on this very e-board. The race each day to post the latest "outrage"

we have to figure out our way thru this new pervasive news phenomena!?

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Thanksgiving to you and all Americans from Norway.

It is an interesting questions. Especially for me that now have been 3 years in Norway, after 15 years in Seattle.
Of course, according to all country songs, the west coast is a place is a place you lose your girl to. And not real America ;-)

The USA is unique. Mainly because it is a immigrant country. And immigration is something that still is going on.
That means that the country is always changing. And you will always have forces fighting for or against those changes.

Back in 1880 in Minnesota Norwegian immigrants were criticized for talking Norwegian and keeping them to themselves. Sounds familiar.

Another USA specific thing that no other western countries have is that healthcare has been organized without any central planning.
All other western countries have socialized medicine.
So for everybody in Europe, having healthcare is a right.

So the USA will be unique even though you have some debate.
Quote Reply

Prev Next