Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge / Clash Daytona Questions
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of extending my New England season and flying to Daytona for the 70.3 Clash race in December.

I was wondering if anyone here has done the race in the last few years and can give a review?

I know for the pros it’s a top class event but how about for the amateurs? How is the 70.3 course?

Any information at all would be super and thank you!

Just trying to determine if it’s worth it to travel and make a commitment to this race.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge / Clash Daytona Questions [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone do this race in the past 2 years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it in 2020.

Swim is protected and in the speedway obviously. I thought I tasted motor oil but it may have just been my mind pulling tricks on me as apparently I was the only one.

Simple swim and it's a tad narrow so it was very fast since not many people were going off course and so it was just a train from the front of Packers as the way to the end. Just make sure your seeded properly.
Make sure you get there early for a warm up. It was on the schedule but not announced over the loud speakers.

Bike was 2.5 laps around the speedway which was amazingly cool and I couldnt care less about nascar. Then it's out onto basically closed roads. I say basically because it's a 2 lanes each way, one lane is closed for the race and the other lane is so slow moving that your flying by cars that only move when there is a spot for them to let a car through. It was mostly straight so can stay in the aero position a good chunk of the race. I had 55 miles for the bike so it was fast but short.

The run is mostly exposed and if your slow the second lap can get lonely but honestly I was never completely alone and was always within ear shot of someone to cheer on. Either way it was cool to run a chunk on the main track, a chunk in the road course and some in the back lot.

There were some volunteers had backed out but shouldn't be an issue this year but it did mean there was one less aid station.

I would absolutely do the race again if it didn't fall right on my anniversary weekend this year. Daytona beach is a ok standard Florida town and the beach is good enough for a short family vacation.

Orlando is a hour away so can be combined with a Disney trip if you have kids.

But the pro component made the weekend. Being there and bumping into them and chatting them up in the elevator was really cool. I sat at a bar next to Bob babbitt and I must tell you the stories he told were pretty cool. The pro race was energetic and i know they're trying to make more out the weekend with a holiday light 5k as well as other things. I'd do it just to extend the season last labor day!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge / Clash Daytona Questions [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vetratten wrote:
Did it in 2020.

Swim is protected and in the speedway obviously. I thought I tasted motor oil but it may have just been my mind pulling tricks on me as apparently I was the only one.

Simple swim and it's a tad narrow so it was very fast since not many people were going off course and so it was just a train from the front of Packers as the way to the end. Just make sure your seeded properly.
Make sure you get there early for a warm up. It was on the schedule but not announced over the loud speakers.

Bike was 2.5 laps around the speedway which was amazingly cool and I couldnt care less about nascar. Then it's out onto basically closed roads. I say basically because it's a 2 lanes each way, one lane is closed for the race and the other lane is so slow moving that your flying by cars that only move when there is a spot for them to let a car through. It was mostly straight so can stay in the aero position a good chunk of the race. I had 55 miles for the bike so it was fast but short.

The run is mostly exposed and if your slow the second lap can get lonely but honestly I was never completely alone and was always within ear shot of someone to cheer on. Either way it was cool to run a chunk on the main track, a chunk in the road course and some in the back lot.

There were some volunteers had backed out but shouldn't be an issue this year but it did mean there was one less aid station.

I would absolutely do the race again if it didn't fall right on my anniversary weekend this year. Daytona beach is a ok standard Florida town and the beach is good enough for a short family vacation.

Orlando is a hour away so can be combined with a Disney trip if you have kids.

But the pro component made the weekend. Being there and bumping into them and chatting them up in the elevator was really cool. I sat at a bar next to Bob babbitt and I must tell you the stories he told were pretty cool. The pro race was energetic and i know they're trying to make more out the weekend with a holiday light 5k as well as other things. I'd do it just to extend the season last labor day!

Exactly the same as what I would have said about the 2020 race

Except my Bob Babbitt story includes being able to sit across from Bob on the set right after he interviewed Lionel. And having my picture taken with Bob As if he were interviewing me. SO cool

Next day Bob saw me, remembered my first and last name as well as aak me about my upcoming race

Meanwhile he almost missed the start of his wave because he was asking how I was doing lol

Truly a class act

Great race I would race again but no aquabike this year and the knees are not doing great
Last edited by: MrTri123: Oct 17, 21 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge / Clash Daytona Questions [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both! I appreciate the feedback.

Was it a wetsuit swim?

Again, thank you for any insight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
Thank you both! I appreciate the feedback.

Was it a wetsuit swim?

Again, thank you for any insight!

Yup. No strippers but that might have been a covid thing or it may have been normal didn't do the race in 19 so no idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge / Clash Daytona Questions [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2019 and really enjoyed the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge / Clash Daytona Questions [Jamie73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie73 wrote:
I did it in 2019 and really enjoyed the race.

Oops I realize I messed up. I did the race in 2019 WOW time flies

Yes wetsuit legal. No wetsuit strippers

Don’t think I’ve ever done a tri with wetsuit strippers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
I am thinking of extending my New England season and flying to Daytona for the 70.3 Clash race in December.

I don't think the distance is 70.3. It's shorter I believe?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge / Clash Daytona Questions [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shorter for the pros. AG race is, I believe, a "traditional" distance.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge / Clash Daytona Questions [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

Correct.

Did the sprint last year and a lot of friends did the 70.3 and we all made a weekend out of it and got to watch the pros.. I’m not into the whole NASCAR thing but it was pretty fun racing in the speedway and it was a great atmosphere and fun weekend. Can confirm that the swim was wetsuit legal (around 65 degrees). The lake is actually really clean nice water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

Oh got it. I watched pro race broadcast and assumed AG did the same distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a great schedule with something for almost everyone:

Friday
-4pm Kids Tri
- 5:30pm 5k through almost 2 miles of Christmas lights from the Magic of Lights. Run through the largest drive-thru Christmas light display in the state

Saturday
- morning sprint tri/du/relay
- 10am Food Trucks, beer garden and live music
- 12pm Women's Pro Race 2k / 80k / 18k all multi-lap in the speedway
- 1:55pm Men's Pro Race 2k / 80k / 18k all multi-lap in the speedway
- 1-5pm Bike Check-In middle distance age group

Sunday
- morning middle distance tri/du/relay. 1.2mi / 56mi / 13.1mi. Courses leave speedway property

Saturday will be a great day to race the sprint tri, then hang with a beer and burger to watch the pro race. Those racing Sunday can watch the pro race around the time they need to come for bike check-in.

Stay in an RV on site and you are 100m from the finish line and 200m from swim start. No race morning parking, no need to wait in line for portapotties, post race naps, tailgating, etc. It's a great way to enjoy the weekend.

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at it for the same reason, a late season race to use the fitness I've gained.......until I saw the entry fee! Wow! Obscenely more than an IM event.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply