Chris is in; Harvey is as well

I'm on the treadmill LOL

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Oct 19, 21 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: Big's Backyard Ultra starts today! [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheerleaders: "the road is long, the night is cold/don't you think this is getting old?"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The night has claimed the final DNF. Will the last runner make it back before the hour and claim the win?
Quote Reply
Re: Big's Backyard Ultra starts today! [Ijustrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed he did with plenty of time to spare. Incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figures that the finale came down while I was in the car on the way home from the gym

Great thread everyone; we should be proud of ourselves

Quote Reply
Re: Big's Backyard Ultra starts today! [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love that he asked Laz if he auto qualifies for Barkley's. Couldn't hear Laz's response but sounded like something about if he could get time off from teaching.

Then asked if anyone had any interview questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Big's Backyard Ultra starts today! [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
Love that he asked Laz if he auto qualifies for Barkley's. Couldn't hear Laz's response but sounded like something about if he could get time off from teaching.

Then asked if anyone had any interview questions.

Laz replied something like "you have to do it the right way. I'll let you know what that is." In other words, Harvey has to go through the proper application process like everyone else. But if he does that, then yes, as winner of Big's, he will be automatically offered the letter of condolences. Laz won't *invite* anyone. You have to ask him, so-to-speak, and then he'll say yes or no, so-to-speak.
Quote Reply
Re: Big's Backyard Ultra starts today! [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
... as winner of Big's, he will be automatically offered the letter of condolences.

I don't know anyone who's gotten in but I've heard it's something like "We regret to inform you ... you're in"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol, thanks for clarifying what he said.
Quote Reply
Re: Big's Backyard Ultra starts today! [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Harvey Lewis wins with 354 miles / 569 km in 85 hours, setting a new backyard benchmark.

How did it end? I notice Chris ran his 84th and final lap in a very respectable 46:45, three minutes faster than Harvey. Did Chris not go out for the 85th lap, having completed 350 miles, or was he timed out on the 85th lap?

Full credit to Chris. He really looked gone around the 70th hour or so, only just completing his laps in a zombie march as Laz blew the 3 minute warning whistle.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Big's Backyard Ultra starts today! [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's certainly been a fun thread. Thanks for starting it and providing the links, both just now and in your initial posts.
Last edited by: satanellus: Oct 19, 21 22:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
He tripped on his final loop and with a temporary loss of consciousness, lost track of time and came in over the limit by 30 seconds on the record tying loop

I was gonna ask if Big's had a "no watches" rule like Barkley, then I remembered seeing Chris [or was it Harvey?] make a turn in the woods and the on-course camera caught him saying "right on time"

And you can clearly see their Garmins/whatever in Howie's pix

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.irunfar.com/harvey-lewis-is-the-last-person-standing-at-the-2021-big-dogs-backyard-ultra?fbclid=IwAR2Nt7rOVz73rV9lR8SRJa2cXMExr-E4t9m9NDu0f_z9i0RCjx2hW2SMcYw

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Big's Backyard Ultra starts today! [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
So Harvey Lewis wins with 354 miles / 569 km in 85 hours, setting a new backyard benchmark.

How did it end? I notice Chris ran his 84th and final lap in a very respectable 46:45, three minutes faster than Harvey. Did Chris not go out for the 85th lap, having completed 350 miles, or was he timed out on the 85th lap?

Full credit to Chris. He really looked gone around the 70th hour or so, only just completing his laps in a zombie march as Laz blew the 3 minute warning whistle.

Chris began lap # 85, but came back to the start maybe 15-20 min later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was fiddling with his knee wrap in the corral for a couple of starts, so it must've finally gotten the best of him

Quote Reply
Last edited by: Anna s: Oct 20, 21 23:53
Quote | Reply
Watching the UCI Track highlights I'm thinking it might be cool to combine a Backyard format with an Elimination race

Keep the 4.167 mile loop and top of the hour format but eliminate the last person in on each loop

Granted, you won't be getting 81 loop finishes, as you'd only do as many laps as there are entrants [minus one lap]. Unless there are 81 entrants?

Could provide some interesting strategery - go off the front to maximize rest time, since you'll already know how long this will last [see above]? Or hang at the back, and hope to pop the last person at the line to go on for another loop?

"I don't have to be faster than the lion [or bear, or crocodile, or shark, or --- or ---] ... I just have to be faster than you"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2022 event started on Saturday at 7am CDT. The year the race is being held as 37 simultaneous national championships with teams of 15 runners.

A few minutes ago in Belgium the final 2 remaining runners finished their 100th lap. That’s 416.67 miles in 100 hours. Both runners appear to be in good spirits, there’s no telling how long they can keep this up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sleep aspect must be the toughest part of this. Then again running that consistently without ever having a bad hour is pretty amazing. What pace do they usually run at to maximize the time window?
Quote Reply
Last edited by: Anna s: Oct 19, 22 10:03
Quote | Reply
In Laz-adjacent news, check out S1E1 of Conjuring Kesha

https://screenrant.com/...e-creepiness-ranked/

"Not Today, Satan"

Whitney Cummings and Kesha Conjuring Kesha
Kesha's inaugural investigation takes her and comedian Whitney Cummings to Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary in Petros, TN. Built by the prisoners bound to its walls, "Bloody Brushy" was a positively uninviting place to start the show. After a tour with former correctional officer Debbie Williams and some unnerving stories from owners Jaime Brock and Courtaney Godwin, Kesha heard enough to proclaim, "This s--- does not feel magical."

Quote Reply
Re: Big's Backyard Ultra starts today! [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
The sleep aspect must be the toughest part of this. Then again running that consistently without ever having a bad hour is pretty amazing. What pace do they usually run at to maximize the time window?

It looks like they average about 7:30/km, with some laps being about 6:30/km at their fastest. It's a fascinating balance of pacing / rest / sleep etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
101 hours and they both decide not to start 102 so after all that they both DNF and there is no winner and neither gets the entry for next year’s Big’s... technically :) No doubt nobody cares about the technicalities at this point and they’ll both be invited.
Quote Reply

Prev Next