Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seat height - with video
Quote | Reply
Hi all !

For a while now my seat height has always felt a bit high from my fitter from years ago. Granted he had me lower at the front end and dead level pads and bars. If it makes a difference or not to seat height I don’t know, but I since adjusted front height 10mm taller and pads a slight angle and have had that way for years.

Anyway I didn’t realise after getting my bike back from some work done by the bike mech in the off-season and the seat height was back up by about 5mm. Training in the off-season my power has been a touch lower, like maybe 10 watts and I just figured I’m getting older or something. I since put it back down 5mm roughly maybe a smidge less. I notice the difference and got my mate to film a poor ass side view after a pre race hit out.

Comments on seat height ? It actually maybe still looks too high but it feels a lot lower. I’m more…. Spinny is that the word ? Am I within range a bit now ?

Edit: is 5mm Enuff go to cause a difference in power or am I dreaming and the change is too small

Last edited by: IamSpartacus: Oct 15, 21 21:25
Quote Reply
Re: Seat height - with video [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amateur opinion, but I'd want to be about 10-20mm lower than that.

A bit hard to tell though given you're barely settled in to your position and started moving.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat height - with video [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow 10-20mm that’s a fair drop 🤭

It’s funny how fitters tend to put seat height quite high during fits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree your seat looks too high. You are really reaching at the bottom of your pedal stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep bring the seat down until you can just lock out your knee and the 5:30 position. So bent knee at 5:30 in the pedal stroke - stop - lock out knee. If you can’t lock out knee your too low. If it’s too easy your too high.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Seat height - with video [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed and have now lowered it several mm more.
I have another vid but it’s grainy and crap so will have to post another tomorrow some time. I have a sprint race in the morn so im hoping it serves me well.

Altogether from starting point I have dropped the seat about 8mm. Prob puts me on the high end of acceptable roughly.
I know a high seat can affect power negatively, but im not sure a change of this scope will bring higher power numbers. Should help with comfort tho.
Quote Reply