Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ROKA Goggles Broke....anyone have a recomendation on a new pair ?
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Roka R1 goggles I got about 2 years out of. Driving home from Ironman 70.3 Washington they must have gotten crushed under luggage in my car and the nosepiece snapped. Anyone try something new/other than these? I had to use a lot of Spit anti fog the past year (I actually mixed in baby shampoo as an additive and it worked great) so a new set that have a better/newer coating would be sweet. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom
Last edited by: CDA70.32021: Oct 14, 21 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Goggles Broke....anyone have a recomendation on a new pair ? [CDA70.32021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just picked up some Magic5. The first scan was off so they remade them and sent me 3 new pairs.

So far I love them. No leaks, no raccoon eyes.

I have a small head so it is always a challenge

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Goggles Broke....anyone have a recomendation on a new pair ? [CDA70.32021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Magic 5. They don't leak and don't require a lot of pressure. I've had leaking problems with the typical big rubber gasket goggles. The small cup style goggles don't leak, but they require more pressure and the peripheral vision isn't great for open water swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never been able to use regular goggles. They always leaked

So I used this huge swimming masks

Got the magic 5 approx 2 years ago. Good to go. No leaks no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im surprised you have 1 set of goggles. What if they broke or were lost just prior to the race, Id be very nervous about that all the time.

In would recommend having multiple pairs and don't keep them all in the same place. Goggles are relatively cheap compared to the cost of all the other stuff we have so why have only one?

In my pool bag I have a pair of Form goggles which admittedly are expensive and a pair of xterra goggles for backups. The xterra fit and work well but aren't my favorite simply because they'er so big and ugly which is less important than the fact that they work well.

In my transition bag I have 2 pairs of TYR goggles. One smoked the other clear. I got these after I lost/broke 2 pairs of Roka goggles.

It turns out the TYR fit my face much better and I have less issues with them. The Roka goggles leaked and fogged up more easily.

You might have really liked your Rokas and might not like the TYR so I would suggest trying a few different ones on to find out what fits you most comfortably.
Last edited by: Motoarch: Oct 14, 21 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just buy the same ones if you like the fit. My goggles never make it past 6 months.
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Goggles Broke....anyone have a recomendation on a new pair ? [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedo vanquisher 2.0. Goggles can’t make you faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Magic 5
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Goggles Broke....anyone have a recomendation on a new pair ? [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
Speedo vanquisher 2.0. Goggles can’t make you faster.

They can make you slower!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Goggles Broke....anyone have a recomendation on a new pair ? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol.

I’m not suggesting buying goggles that don’t fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a small "mom and pop" company out of austin texas called "pig and snake" make the most comfortable goggles ive ever worn and ive never had any leaking problems. they sell on amazon. price is very reasonable.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Goggles Broke....anyone have a recomendation on a new pair ? [Motoarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Motoarch wrote:
[/quote][/quote]Im surprised you have 1 set of goggles. What if they broke or were lost just prior to the race, Id be very nervous about that all the time.

In would recommend having multiple pairs and don't keep them all in the same place. Goggles are relatively cheap compared to the cost of all the other stuff we have so why have only one?

In my pool bag I have a pair of Form goggles which admittedly are expensive and a pair of xterra goggles for backups. The xterra fit and work well but aren't my favorite simply because they'er so big and ugly which is less important than the fact that they work well.

In my transition bag I have 2 pairs of TYR goggles. One smoked the other clear. I got these after I lost/broke 2 pairs of Roka goggles.

It turns out the TYR fit my face much better and I have less issues with them. The Roka goggles leaked and fogged up more easily.

You might have really liked your Rokas and might not like the TYR so I would suggest trying a few different ones on to find out what fits you most comfortably.[/quote]
THANKS ALL!

And yes Motoarch, you nailed it. I was worried about my strap breaking before/during my swim at the 70.3 I just did. I looked into getting a 2nd strap for the Roka goggles but had no luck, owning two pair makes more sense especially considering the price vs a DNF. Im still somewhat new to this sport and greatly appreciate the feedback , its golden!
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Goggles Broke....anyone have a recomendation on a new pair ? [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another Magic 5 user, switched from the Rokas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Magic 5. no leaks, no pressure around eyes, exceptional customer service
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two pairs of the R1s (one for use, one as an emergency backup).

You could try other goggles and find something else that works (find a store with a wide selection that allows tryons), or just go with what you already know fits you.

Bonus, you now have spare parts from the first pair (ex. if a strap breaks).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Goggles Broke....anyone have a recomendation on a new pair ? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedos are shit especially any that have a tint, the mirror ones are the worst. They use a tinted film and that scratches and flakes really easily. The $70 Fastskin Elites I had for racing early had the tint flake even though I rinsed them after each race and kept them in a case. I've now been training and racing in Arena Cobra Ultras and they're great. Not sure why Speedo use a film and they don't, but their goggles are bullet proof. No scratches and no flaking. They're not cheap, but worth the price. I also train in Malmsen Swedish which are good although I could imagine them not fitting a few people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zone3 Vapour. I switched to these from the Rokas and am glad I did. They fit me better and the anti-glare coatings on the outside of the lenses last much longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best goggles I have ever used the past 50 years are the Visio View goggles- had a very sturdy adjustable comfortable nosepiece, fit snug but not overly tight, and a long lasting strap- and economical about $15-$18 Sadly to say I can't find them anymore. I tried Roka- good vision at first until the nosepiece started to split, my second pair of Rokas lasted exactly one OWS and the frame seperated. I now go with the Sporti $5.95 goggle from swim outlet. I can buy 4 or 5 at a time but my first pair is still ok after over a year. And I always carry an extra pair as insurance from Murphy's Law .
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA Goggles Broke....anyone have a recomendation on a new pair ? [Motoarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Motoarch wrote:
Im surprised you have 1 set of goggles. What if they broke or were lost just prior to the race, Id be very nervous about that all the time.

You might have really liked your Rokas and might not like the TYR so I would suggest trying a few different ones on to find out what fits you most comfortably.

I was thinking the same thing. I think I have at least 2 pairs in my swim bag and another couple pairs at home still in the package.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TYR Tracer. Rokas never fit my face. I have been very pleased with TYR.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply