Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

To get a recreational TUE, in the last 25 years, you cannot have been on almost any age group podium in any sport, you cannot have qualified for worlds (even AG). So if you ever got on your 55-59 AG podium at your local sprint race when there were only 4 people in your age group (or if you did the same thing 23 years ago when you were in 30-34) then you cannot get a RCTUE. The rules:

Recreational Competitor: For the purposes of the USADA TUE Policy, a Non-National Athlete who is not
classifi ed as a professional Athlete and who within the last 25 years (1) has not been in the USADA Registered
Testing Pool or the Registered Testing Pool of an International Federation; (2) has not represented the United
States in an International Event; (3) has not won a national or regional level Competition in any sport; (4) has not
fi nished fi rst, second or third in an age group category of any Event sanctioned by an NGB in which fi fty (50) or
more competitors have been entered in that category in the sport in which they are presently competing; and (5)
has not won more than fi ve hundred dollars (500.00 USD) in prize money in an Event in the sport in which they are
presently competing.

Recreational Competitor TUE (or “RCTUE”): A Therapeutic Use Exemption for use by a Recreational
Competitor for substances and/or methods prohibited at all times or in Competitions where USADA anti-doping
rules apply as defi ned by the USADA Protocol for Olympic and Paralympic Movement Testing, the USADA TUE
Policy and as limited by the terms set forth in the certifi cate provided to an individual who has been granted an
RCTUE.

To clarify, I meant that the medical criteria to get a RCTUE may be less stringent than the criteria for pro athletes. Also, I should note that point 4 under recreational competitor does specify that there had to be at least 50 athletes entering the age group category. I can't speak to how many people would be ruled out of RCTUEs in tri. I think that it wouldn't rule out a lot of cyclists - for better or worse. I'm not wild about the RCTUE process, but I can have some sympathy. I have low-normal T myself - in my case, that stems from an identifiable medical condition and it's treatable without use of testosterone, which is great.
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [Pink Poofy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pink Poofy wrote:

I'd say there should be testing for the ADD and ADHD stimulants as well, because it is prescription amphetamines, and that shit ain't normal either, just ask Tom Simpson. ...

Abuse of stimulants is different from medical use of stimulants to treat a medical condition as I discussed here.
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I read that as 50 entries in the event, not the age group but it does seem somewhat ambiguous.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Dude, don't put words in my mouth.

Oops! My bad, I clicked on the wrong post to reply to. Sorry about that. Was replying to someone else.
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

ericMPro wrote:

Depends on what we're trying to accomplish. There is a very good reason to catch Cat 4 cheaters instead of the upper levels that has nothing to do with racing or fairness or even resources.

E

What's the purpose though? As a deterrent? Don't we do this in criminal law where people tell me that the death penalty is not a deterrent, or long prison sentences aren't a deterrent? I think they're very similar in that regard, the only way it is a deterrent is if they're actually enforced.

I know you're not equating facing an actual consequence in the real world for your choices or behavior with the death penalty. Also, in crime, IIRC the punishment has little deterrence, it's the perception of the chance of being caught that is the driving factor.

At any rate, the purpose of testing for cheaters is not to get rid of cheaters per se or keep cheaters out of sport. Those two things are impossible. The purpose of doing anything, if you're an institution, should be to both bolster the institution and perform your mission, otherwise someone else will. So many NGBs have done the politically or economically expedient thing and look at us now.

IOW, the purpose of catching cheaters is to keep people out of the sport who think cheating doesn't matter or think that we shouldn't waste resources catching Cat 5 cheaters. Those are the people who are dangerous.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

ericMPro wrote:

Depends on what we're trying to accomplish. There is a very good reason to catch Cat 4 cheaters instead of the upper levels that has nothing to do with racing or fairness or even resources.

E

What's the purpose though? As a deterrent? Don't we do this in criminal law where people tell me that the death penalty is not a deterrent, or long prison sentences aren't a deterrent? I think they're very similar in that regard, the only way it is a deterrent is if they're actually enforced.

I know you're not equating facing an actual consequence in the real world for your choices or behavior with the death penalty. Also, in crime, IIRC the punishment has little deterrence, it's the perception of the chance of being caught that is the driving factor.

At any rate, the purpose of testing for cheaters is not to get rid of cheaters per se or keep cheaters out of sport. Those two things are impossible. The purpose of doing anything, if you're an institution, should be to both bolster the institution and perform your mission, otherwise someone else will. So many NGBs have done the politically or economically expedient thing and look at us now.

IOW, the purpose of catching cheaters is to keep people out of the sport who think cheating doesn't matter or think that we shouldn't waste resources catching Cat 5 cheaters. Those are the people who are dangerous.

E

Except I thoroughly disagree with you and the premise. There is limited utility in testing Cat 4-5 at a rate greater than Cat 1 or the Pros. In fact that is a misuse of resources if you want a "clean" sport. In the real world, and the BS idea that someone floats that if a guy cheats in cycling he'll cheat elsewhere isn't really true. If that was the case you wouldn't have all these people that lead double lives. I would suspect the guy who gets popped for testosterone and is in their 40s generally is relatively decent as a person and all they wanted was to not feel like crap after every bike session. Slowtwitch/Social Media isn't the real world.

I get the whole idea of clean sport et al. But honestly what is the utility of popping lifestyle athletes?

This isn't to say I don't think there is utility in amateur anti-doping rules, I only stress that it needs to be equalized out based on where someone is competing.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 14, 21 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learn to brag better (avoid needless collateral damage).

When you brag your "pathetic" 1:28 half-marathon was in the top 2.4%, you are saying the other 97.6% are even more pathetic.

RowToTri wrote:
Running races are a bit different because most of the people participating do not take it that seriously and running competitively is likely not a large part of their identity. I don't think anyone really cares about TRT in the guy finishing a 5k in 29 minutes, but if random testing caught him, he would probably very much regret it. But even mediocre recreational competitive runners care about their placement and take pride in their times. Last time I ran a large running race which I do not do very often was back in 2014 when I ran a somewhat pathetic 1:28 in both the NYC and Brooklyn half marathons (at 44 I've improved my running a fair bit since then). I finished like 629th - but that is also the top 2.4%. Even though I was not sniffing any podiums, I would want to know my placement was legit and there weren't 40 dudes on T in front of me.

Cycling is a different animal. Even in a Cat 5 race, all those guys and gals are taking it seriously, need to get a license, have been training, spent lots of money, etc. It's not nearly as casual as a running race. Every single one of them really needs to take doping rules seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

ericMPro wrote:

E

E

Except I thoroughly disagree with you and the premise. There is limited utility in testing Cat 4-5 at a rate greater than Cat 1 or the Pros. In fact that is a misuse of resources if you want a "clean" sport. In the real world, and the BS idea that someone floats that if a guy cheats in cycling he'll cheat elsewhere isn't really true. If that was the case you wouldn't have all these people that lead double lives. I would suspect the guy who gets popped for testosterone and is in their 40s generally is relatively decent as a person and all they wanted was to not feel like crap after every bike session. Slowtwitch/Social Media isn't the real world.

I get the whole idea of clean sport et al. But honestly what is the utility of popping lifestyle athletes?

Who said anything about clean sport? You’re not hearing me or my premise.

Which is worse:

1. Dopers
2. People who complain about or enable dopers
3. People over 40 who rant about how drafting is antithetical to the individual spirit of the sport while being doped to the gills on testosterone

Or from another angle… look how Dan runs this website. Analogously, the only time he has a heavy hand is with the third category. You can be a dick here or be wrong but you can’t be disingenuous. Mind you, I’m speaking from experience having been banned before. That’s why Slowtwitch is an institution and not just a website and why USAC and USAT are more like websites who used to be institutions. Dan knows which tent poles prop the whole thing up.

E

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish USAC provided a cost breakdown of this program in terms of testing numbers and the total cost associated. I believe a urine test is going to be a couple few hundred and the personnel required to administer the test would need to be paid and reimbursed for mileage meals, hotel, all that. I assume the promoter is not on the hook for any of this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this whole program just seems to be sort of a financial Black box run by a federation that hasn't bothered to disclose an annual financial statement for the last couple of years.

I think the narrative that anyone who questions this is somehow pro doping kind of misses the point.
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
I wish USAC provided a cost breakdown of this program in terms of testing numbers and the total cost associated. I believe a urine test is going to be a couple few hundred and the personnel required to administer the test would need to be paid and reimbursed for mileage meals, hotel, all that. I assume the promoter is not on the hook for any of this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this whole program just seems to be sort of a financial Black box run by a federation that hasn't bothered to disclose an annual financial statement for the last couple of years.

I think the narrative that anyone who questions this is somehow pro doping kind of misses the point.

I agree with your comment about the narrative, and can't speak to why the USAC does what it does or what it doesn't do, other than I can smell the rot and incompetence from here.

That said, I feel like cost is a red herring... as soon as you choose cost as a screening criteria for your sport and your institution, you've lost the high ground. I wouldn't be surprised if USAC ceases to exist by 2030, but it's not financial mismanagement that is doing them in, it's much bigger than that, stuff that wouldn't have been there had they tested Cat 5s for drugs a long time ago.

I've heard it said that people only do things out of fear or greed, but luckily institutions don't have to behave like humans. However, if an institution *does* do something out of fear or greed, that's another indicator that things are going to go downhill. Let's both mark this post and check back in 2030.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pandemic was a huge blow for them, because it started causing cancellations as early as March many riders chose not to renew their licenses and all of the race permit fees went out the window Plus the national championships in all of the disciplines, so it ended up being a pretty terrible year for them.

A while back they chose to set up licenses to Auto renew which ended up being a surprise revenue source, albeit one that alienated their established customer base.

I think there is a statutory need for a national governing body to be able to oversee an Olympic team. Beyond that, I guess all the rest could just evaporate. Some riders care about the upgrade points and the categories. In many parts of the country, MTB has been doing fine outside of usac. So who knows.

I used to be kind of a cheerleader for them but our relationship has cooled over the years.
Last edited by: jroden: Oct 14, 21 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
I wish USAC provided a cost breakdown of this program in terms of testing numbers and the total cost associated.

You me both. USAC, under Bouchard-Hall/Jon Whiteman, did an excellent job providing quarterly RaceClean reports. The 2016 Annual report was pretty good. It started to peter out - 2019 was pretty weak. Then it disappeared. I emailed the replacement for Jon, Kelsey Erickson, a few times politely expressing my appreciation for the reports, and requesting at least some continued transparency. She said they were working on it, and it'd be out shortly. But I haven't seen it. I know she and all of USAC are super busy, COVID, etc. Giving them a bit of a pass. But eventually some reporting will be nice, given this is both an important issue for many amateur racers, and it's a significant surcharge on all racing memberships.

Yeah, $5 (for non Cat-1/pro) is about the price of a butyl tube or two gels, but still...
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Honestly if your T is low, and has been tested as such, you may want to get a sleep study done to see if you have sleep apnea. If you can somehow fall asleep with a CPAP on consistently (I can't), your T will go up. Now, if that doesn't work, there are "natural" test boosters that you can get on the shelf that will help boost your Test. Granted, some of them are on the WADA list (Why, I'll never know, but it's dumb that they are). I would put a lot of money on a bet that a significant number of amateur athletes that compete in Triathlon and Cycling take Test Booster supplements like L-Carnitine-L-Tytrate and DAA.

I have no idea if my T is low, maybe? I just wouldn't mine taking it to help add some muscle if I could find an easy way to get it.

How about a marijuana? Which I think is on the WADA list. Does anyone believe that someone who likes to smoke weed and race bikes is actually cheating?

They are breaking the rules afterall.

second, it's almost certain that your testosterone is low, if you're older. but it's low in scale to your age. i'm turning 65. my T is low. but everybody's T is low at my age.

If everybody's T is low at that age, I guess folks arrive at two different opinions. One being, since we're all the same then why do you need the T. And thus you justify the testing of older slow bike racers.

I don't understand how that works for a person in their 50's, 60's, 70's. Like, if a doc suggests it, is that legit at that point something you really need for maintaining your quality of life? Or is it some kind of marketing mumbo jumbo to push meds?

Since I don't understand that as a younger person, I cannot fairly form an opinion in judging older bike racers caught taking XYZ old-guy drug. If I understood, I think I could.

I lean towards "if it's just part of aging and nothing involved with a fruitful life".........then yeah, test away. No need to take the stuff.

I think some folks are also sympathetic because we presume most 3/4/5 racers don't care enough to take drugs for racing versus just life needs. Then again, folks care enough to do it just going to the gym to "get the look". So I guess they do.
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I don't understand how that works for a person in their 50's, 60's, 70's. Like, if a doc suggests it, is that legit at that point something you really need for maintaining your quality of life? Or is it some kind of marketing mumbo jumbo to push meds?

I know you know the answer to this...

Try it this way, from the perspective of "the word is not the thing". T, quality of life, doctor, etc. Clear your mind. In order to understand a system, you have to step back and observe the operations and suss out the design. For example, from this perspective a cow is a machine humans invented to turn grass into steak.

So, an "aging clinic" is a machine humans invented to turn testosterone into $$, by running a parallel subroutine that turns fear and/or greed into testosterone, therefore an aging clinic (or breast implant clinic, or oversized pickup truck factory) is a machine humans invented to turn fear/greed into $$.

Imagine the entropy of a system where the input is fear/greed... what's the output? It's so daunting to think about that most people just stick their heads in the sand and say I don't care, let them race, etc.

I'd rather the input be "sport" or "competition" or "racing".

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fear, greed and vanity are the three great motivators.

Never underestimate vanity.

I'm sure there's a Nietzsche quote about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

Try it this way, from the perspective of "the word is not the thing". T, quality of life, doctor, etc. Clear your mind. In order to understand a system, you have to step back and observe the operations and suss out the design. For example, from this perspective a cow is a machine humans invented to turn grass into steak.

So, an "aging clinic" is a machine humans invented to turn testosterone into $$, by running a parallel subroutine that turns fear and/or greed into testosterone, therefore an aging clinic (or breast implant clinic, or oversized pickup truck factory) is a machine humans invented to turn fear/greed into $$.

Imagine the entropy of a system where the input is fear/greed... what's the output? It's so daunting to think about that most people just stick their heads in the sand and say I don't care, let them race, etc.

E

Agreed then. Thats where I was headed in thinking but that made it more absolute now.
Quote Reply
Re: US amateur rider handed four-year doping ban after winning cat three race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

E

Agreed then. Thats where I was headed in thinking but that made it more absolute now.

Right. So if you've followed me this far let me loop back around to tie the whole thing together with one last analog of an organization who do LOTS of drug testing and show us why we should too, why it's not a waste of resources, and why it's not even about drugs or cheating.

The US Army (USAC, USAT) does not test its Soldiers (BOP Cat 4/5 dudes) for drugs (drugs) because they want the ranks to be drug free (Clean Sport). They do it to maintain the institution (the sport) which is held together by almost magically and shockingly weakly by discipline (leadership, sporting integrity, volunteers) in order to deliver results on the battlefield when it counts (govern the sport, develop the next generation).

Feel free to substitute better variables for the sporting side on your own.

E

Quote Reply

Prev Next