Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
I totally agree with you. Our stock pads are fine for Sprints and Olympics but I first swapped to Profile Design, then 51 Speed Shop and finally the Culprit pads for 1/2 and long course.

The extra real estate on the Culprit pads are great.

I'm currently using the long Culprit pads, they provide a lot of what I want but not everything which is why I'm looking at a more integrated solution like the Vision TFE. But perhaps I need to wait for his new extensions to make a decision.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
As far as i have seen the cheapest full aerobar, and they look quite nice although i’m not sure if i will like the high side armpad cups..
But i see the around 500 to 700 euro online. Look like they would fit on mount plates of a SC or P5

Jeroen

These bars are precisely the type I can’t understand. They barely add any more real estate for a contact point. But they fatten up the part of the bar wheee one’s forearm would rest but don’t seem to do so in a way that would actually support someone’s forearm. Does that non-padded skinny extension past the pad actually support your forearm here?

Also how is this a “full” aerobar? It looks to be extensions and cups?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 15, 21 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The third picture on the product page makes be think these were design for children...the space where the wrist would fall is narrow!!!

https://dedaelementi.com/jet-two-clip-on-extensions

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
However, the main advantage is comfort (and thus ability to stay in aero) because the weight is distributed along more of the forearm. There is also more surface contact/friction, reducing the forward saddle slide for many riders.

I'd be interested in testing this claim... I couldn't possibly imagine it being any easier to stay aero.

Also, if weight is distributed wouldn't friction net out the same?

E

Having greater surface area to stay on from large pads has helped me stay in aero for a longer duration of time than the previous stock pads/pad holders I had.

So what, your elbows and hands would fail?

E

Fail? No. But make no mistake the speedbar with additional support for the forearm expands the load bearing surface area beyond just your elbows and this creates additional comfort in the position.

Right I get that but I don't understand how it "helps you stay aero" *longer*, like, what was so bad before that you couldn't stay aero? The only thing I can't stay on my TT bike is sitting up on the hoods.

E

Lucky you. You aren’t the target audience then. This statement is akin to those that say their _______ brand Trisuit (I don’t mean to pick on Kiwami here but their Trisuit comes to mind) doesn’t overheat them. And my response to them is they don’t relay have an overheating problem then. Because that suit is an oven for me in warm weather.

I’m sure you may argue that maybe the rider has bigger fit issues if a typical pad isn’t sufficient. And, maybe I/we do. But, make no mistake, the larger pads are more comfy, assuming the provide for more contact. I don’t understand the point of certain brands that have additional surface area but won’t even produce additional contact area.

For me, currently I'm 213. I haven't been below 180 since I was a freshman in high school. I carry a lot of weight up top from years and year of strength training. Even when I had months where I didn't move a barbell I didn't lose much if any muscle in my chest or arms. So having more surface area to displace that weight is very helpful. I don't think you can fix that via "fit" and use traditional pads. I may be wrong, but you probably get what I'm putting down.

As an extreme example, back in the '80s I got one of the very first Scott DH bars, and the armrests on those were basically mountain bike grips. Just a tapered foam tube that slide over the bar. Supporting all of my upper body weight on less than 2 square inches just forward of my elbows was pretty damn uncomfortable, although my position was otherwise very comfortable. After about an hour, it got really uncomfortable putting *ANY* weight on the armrests. I'd sometimes get bruises from having all my weight concentrated on such a small area of support.

About a year or so later, Flite Controls came out with aftermarket armrests that were about twice the length of most available today (probably about 7" long). The difference was night and day. Without any change in my position, I could now comfortably ride all day in aero...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard input on my current pad and applied it to my new design.

I think the wait will be worth it. I just got validation it passed testing in the carbon factory. soon rider testing and pre sells.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teaser. just passed testing
Last edited by: culpritbicycles: Oct 18, 21 8:08
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found some nice extensions from. Spain. So no import costs

https://venturibt.com/...oduct/apoyos-kaizen/
May with the aero coach adapter it can fit on a p5d or a px

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
I found some nice extensions from. Spain. So no import costs

https://venturibt.com/...oduct/apoyos-kaizen/
May with the aero coach adapter it can fit on a p5d or a px

Wonder what the dimensions of those are...

Edit: never mind

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 20, 21 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this makes me sad...

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats why I thought about the aerocoach adapter for the armrest

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good call.

All of this is because some nerd on ST got fed up with the mounting hardware of his speed concept...

Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 20, 21 10:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next