Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
trail wrote:
Not tread thickness. My understanding is that's total tire thickness at the center of the tread. So rubber+casing. Only the casing bit is thinner.

I was just going off the linked article which states "actual rubber tread thickness appears to be roughly the same," concluding that, "durability in terms of mileage should be unchanged."

Wait, so you actually read the entire article, rather than just skipping to the data tables like I did? /pink

If durability is indeed the same, or even just in the ballpark of the current 5000 TL, then yes it would seem that Continental made a number of improvements to the tire, with a few characteristics remaining essentially the same (and none worse), and so in that case the 5000 S TR would indeed be undeniably superior to the 5000 TL.

First world problems in my garage:

Well, the 5000 TL is more like a car tire in that it doesn't need sealant to actually hold air. Now how long that lasts on the road I wouldn't know.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
However, saying less fussy than periodically topping off tubeless? That argument doesn't make sense to me - I have to inflate my tires every single ride haha.
I check and set my tire pressure at the start of every ride anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
there's a conti chart on https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...-to-follow-the-rules
that I don't see on the conti website. The 25 and 28 sizes are listed with a higher than 73 psi max IF YOU RUN TUBES. 30 and 32 top out at 73 psi with or without tubes (more than enough for me).

The chart says nothing about tubes - it says with a hooked rim.

So, can you use these tires tubeless @ 109 psi 25mm or @ 94 psi 28mm if they are on a hooked rim, safely?

Air pressure is air pressure, a thin piece of latex should make no difference. I see BRR actually ran the 25 at 120 psi, no inner tube.
Last edited by: Hanginon: Oct 15, 21 16:31
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
trail wrote:
Not tread thickness. My understanding is that's total tire thickness at the center of the tread. So rubber+casing. Only the casing bit is thinner.

I was just going off the linked article which states "actual rubber tread thickness appears to be roughly the same," concluding that, "durability in terms of mileage should be unchanged."

Wait, so you actually read the entire article, rather than just skipping to the data tables like I did? /pink

If durability is indeed the same, or even just in the ballpark of the current 5000 TL, then yes it would seem that Continental made a number of improvements to the tire, with a few characteristics remaining essentially the same (and none worse), and so in that case the 5000 S TR would indeed be undeniably superior to the 5000 TL.

I am coveting your tire collection. My go-to bike shop just bumped the expected arrival date from today to March 30 and BikeTiresDirect is out to Thanksgiving through February, depending on size. I pre-ordered some 28s from my local shop last year and they finally canceled my order in June because they had no idea when they might actually arrive. I had to order tires from the UK and those are now getting thin. I guess this is typical for the industry because I have ahd Corsa Speeds on backorder since June.
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Oct 15, 21 18:44
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
refthimos wrote:
trail wrote:

I am coveting your tire collection. My go-to bike shop just bumped the expected arrival date from today to March 30 and BikeTiresDirect is out to Thanksgiving through February, depending on size. I pre-ordered some 28s from my local shop last year and they finally canceled my order in June because they had no idea when they might actually arrive. I had to order tires from the UK and those are now getting thin. I guess this is typical for the industry because I have ahd Corsa Speeds on backorder since June.

Someone has a pair of Corsa Speed G2.0 in 25mm for sale on the classifieds forum.
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought two GP5000TL's yesterday for $85 each at the PlayTri booth at IMAZ70.3, RaceDay Wheels also had some for $90 each I think.

Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way less expensive on eBay.
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's with the liquidation sales on ebay...should have looked there first. Even have cream sidewalls.

Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Way less expensive on eBay.

As long as you don't need a 28. Looks like 25 galor. I do like the enterprising capitolist asking $160 for one 700x28. Thank goodness it is only $152 when you buy 2. That is like car tire price.
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a lot of 28 in stock.
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disappointing...

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Oct 19, 21 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Disappointing...
Disappointing? What's really disappointing is now having two independent(?) tests that conflict with Continentals marketing verbiage - and not by a little bit.

How can this be?
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/...ling-resistance-data

Faster than the GP5k TL’s… that’s not bad!

Here’s my question which Tom A can possibly weigh in on - a diamond plated or smooth drum and track validation doesn’t affect the ability to compare tires due to…. The Silva interpretation isn’t spot on… Something something breaking point. Ok, over 112 miles and imperfect asphalt, which of these tires, at what width and at what tire pressure is best at pro level speeds? We see Frodeno on 28’s and the Enve prototype race tires are 29’s… I’ve raced in corsa speeds worh latex tubes 6x now and zero issue, but really curious to hear thoights

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
Disappointing? What's really disappointing is now having two independent(?) tests that conflict with Continentals marketing verbiage - and not by a little bit.

How can this be?

I think that's a fair criticism, after all if appears that the 5000 S TR cannot claim 20% less rolling resistance than the 5000 TL. So yes, Continental's claims do not appear to be true in that regard.

However, if you doubted those claims from the start, and instead focus on what we do know about the 5000 S TR, we see that Continental found a way to make the already fast-rolling 5000 TL roll even faster, which is doubly impressive because the 5000 TL was a tire that competed with TT tires despite being extremely puncture resistant and long-wearing. You then add lower weight, hookless compatibility, greater sidewall protection, and easier mounting, and it's hard to call the 5000 S TR anything but a rousing success.

Even if it fails to meet Continental's claims.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Oct 19, 21 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Hanginon wrote:

How can this be?

I think that's a fair criticism, after all if appears that the 5000 S TR cannot claim 20% less rolling resistance than the 5000 TL. So yes, Continental's claims do not appear to be true in that regard.

However, if you doubted those claims from the start, and instead focus on what we do know about the 5000 S TR, we see that Continental found a way to make the already fast-rolling 5000 TL roll even faster, which is doubly impressive because the 5000 TL was a tire that competed with TT tires despite being extremely puncture resistant and long-wearing. You then add lower weight, hookless compatibility, greater sidewall protection, and easier mounting, and it's hard to call the 5000 S TR anything but a rousing success.

Your assessment is spot on. I think the 5000s are still the Goldilocks do-everything tire, but I have to admit that the lackluster reduction in Crr is still disappointing.

My strategy will remain the same for next year. Corsa Speeds when you really want to go somewhere in a hurry and 5000s for everything else.

Now if I can figure out where to get the fast version of the Veloflex tires….
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Now if I can figure out where to get the fast version of the Veloflex tires….

AFAIK only Aerocoach ever tested the "fast" version of the record (pre Q3 2020). BRR tested the new ones only, claiming RR is 10-15% higher than the pre Q3 2020 model (no back up data or source).

Aerocoach tested the new ones as well, measuring a 0.000067 crr difference with the old one. 4.2% slower. But at these levels it's 0.6w at 45kmh for a pair!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Maybe...time will tell when we can get them and start using them.

For example, many of us were happy with the 4000 S II. Yes, the 5000 is faster, but IMHO, probably because of the angle the tire casing and belts cross each other, holes in the 5000 are much more prone to allowing latex tubes to herniate through, and I run latex tubes.

However, I can see that it's time I start embracing tubeless technology (plus sealant).
Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/time-trial-rolling-resistance-data

Here’s my question which Tom A can possibly weigh in on - a diamond plated or smooth drum and track validation doesn’t affect the ability to compare tires due to…. The Silva interpretation isn’t spot on… Something something breaking point. Ok, over 112 miles and imperfect asphalt, which of these tires, at what width and at what tire pressure is best at pro level speeds? We see Frodeno on 28’s and the Enve prototype race tires are 29’s… I’ve raced in corsa speeds worh latex tubes 6x now and zero issue, but really curious to hear thoights

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the "question" in all of that above...but if it's about the validity of the test methods (i.e. roller testing) in comparing tires, then the answer is it's COMPLETELY valid, since we know that the results apply for pressures below the breakpoint pressure of the conditions...which is where one will be using them if inflated correctly.

Percent differences found in the roller tests (smooth, or diamond plate...diamond plate just adds an additional flexing loss level, doesn't change the percent difference) hold for "real world" performance when inflated correctly for the conditions/speed/mass.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Hanginon wrote:

How can this be?

Yeah...that was a bold claim they came out with. It's a good thing there's independent tire testers to suss out the truth, huh? ;-)

In the end, they basically made the 5000 S TR the same speed as the clincher 5000 with a latex tube inside...and since latex adds basically no Crr in road tires, at road pressures, I guess that means they can simplify the tire line down to a single model of 5000. Run it tubeless, or put a latex tube in there. No difference speed-wise.

Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the "question" in all of that above...but if it's about the validity of the test methods (i.e. roller testing) in comparing tires, then the answer is it's COMPLETELY valid, since we know that the results apply for pressures below the breakpoint pressure of the conditions...which is where one will be using them if inflated correctly.

Percent differences found in the roller tests (smooth, or diamond plate...diamond plate just adds an additional flexing loss level, doesn't change the percent difference) hold for "real world" performance when inflated correctly for the conditions/speed/mass.

Thank you - I'll try again with another "question": Ironman pro's seem to be using 28-29mm tires at lower psi (less than 90 psi) over semi-rough asphalt on wheels with 23mm ID front and 19mm ID rear. The Aerocoach testing appears to indicate that these pro's are making a poor choice. Can you explain how the aforementioned road conditions and wheel choice affects how the Aerocoach results should be interpreted by pro triathletes?

Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

Thank you - I'll try again with another "question": Ironman pro's seem to be using 28-29mm tires at lower psi (less than 90 psi) over semi-rough asphalt on wheels with 23mm ID front and 19mm ID rear. The Aerocoach testing appears to indicate that these pro's are making a poor choice. Can you explain how the aforementioned road conditions and wheel choice affects how the Aerocoach results should be interpreted by pro triathletes?

If they're using tires that wide, then I truly hope they're using less than 90 psi. With some reasonable assumptions, I'm seeing recommended pressures in the range of 70-80psi from the Silca pressure calculator https://silca.cc/pages/sppc-form

As far as deciding to go with tires that wide to begin with for that racing...well...I've often said that one shouldn't base equipment choices solely on what one sees a pro doing. Big engines can make up for poor equipment choices ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: New GP5000s. Maybe hookless is going to catch on [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, last question: Help me/us interpret your comment "As far as deciding to go with tires that wide to begin with for that racing [..]" which implies 28mm is slower in light of your conclusion here:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...omparison#conclusion

"When all tires are adjusted to the same comfort level, rolling resistance is nearly the same (0.2 watts max) for all sizes of the GP 5000."
*sizes tested: 23, 25, 28, and 32mm.
**with that conclusion, I'd be led to believe the best tire is the one that is most aerodynamic with my wheel and at the proper tire pressure as used in your 'same comfort level' test

Much appreciated

and, thanks for your testing and review of the GP5k TR here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...5000-s-tr#conclusion

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 19, 21 12:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
OK, last question: Help me/us interpret your comment "As far as deciding to go with tires that wide to begin with for that racing [..]" which implies 28mm is slower in light of your conclusion here:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...omparison#conclusion

"When all tires are adjusted to the same comfort level, rolling resistance is nearly the same (0.2 watts max) for all sizes of the GP 5000."
*sizes tested: 23, 25, 28, and 32mm.
**with that conclusion, I'd be led to believe the best tire is the one that is most aerodynamic with my wheel and at the proper tire pressure as used in your 'same comfort level' test

Much appreciated

and, thanks for your testing and review of the GP5k TR here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...5000-s-tr#conclusion

Oops...those aren't my tests. That's Jarno's stuff....

But yeah...all things being equal, when adjusted for pressure, tires of the same "family" (if truly same construction across the size range) will roll about the same, so then aerodynamics comes into play...or, the particular riders are valuing "comfort" due to the wider tires running lower pressures over any aerodynamic losses.

Everything's a tradeoff :-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next