Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
Side note I was the the first wave and it was weird how wet the carpet was… I swear it hadn’t rained yet. So nasty.

It rained the night before the race down at the lake - you’re all good!

Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
CP78 wrote:

Is it possible to do St George as scheduled Saturday and WCs Sunday May 8th?

See prior post - same wavelength! Ha

Well that would be great, I'm registered for St George, so could race Sat then watch pros Sunday. Wishful thinking maybe

Here's what I think (hope) will happen. They will make the May 7th date the WC and allow registered Kona qualifiers to have 2 choices: Defer to Kona at a later date (October 2022 or 2023) or attend the WC at IMSTG and receive a registration fee refund to make it equitable with the already registered participants. I don't believe they will have a 2-day format since it is too hard to find volunteers for that format when St. George will already have 3 WCs in a 1.5 years period.

This solution while not optimal for everybody (since they would not be racing in Kona) would be fair to the qualifiers since they would not be paying a crazy price for something "not Kona". My guess is that about 40% of the already registered Kona qualifiers would race in St. George instead. St. George would have enough room to accommodate all those participants.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Lock_N_Load: Sep 21, 21 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
rhys wrote:
Kona is definitely the sacred cow. Especially at like $1200USD an entry. IMO little to no AGer is going to want to race a WC. They want to race Kona. The way COVID is going i cannot see a global influx of 10,000 people to Hawaii for a week happening for years. It seems so distant a possibility. and Ironman need to clear the backlog of WC qualifiers. I forecast they will say AGers qualified for WC have to race WC regardless of location or forfeit their spot/transfer to another event of choosing/partial refund type scenario.

Its a no win for Ironman for sure.

This is kinda where I stand as well. Though I think that people will eventually move on from the attachment to Kona. I think that if the WC rotates between 3-4 interesting locations like StG. WTC will do ok. At the end of the day, the number of AGers really shooting to get to Kona may not be that material to WTC.

Sure, people will move on and WTC will do well financially hosting 2 day events and lower cost (for them not for AGs:). IM WC will become 2nd league event the way 70.3 WC is with deep AG roll-downs and half of top PROs not showing up. Roth will become real WC. It's by far more important than any other IM race. 5 second registration window doesn't lie. Let's hope Big Island will find another partner for Kona and they will do it better (not difficult task if you compete with "customer centric" organisation WTC is)
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [apo72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apo72 wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
rhys wrote:
Kona is definitely the sacred cow. Especially at like $1200USD an entry. IMO little to no AGer is going to want to race a WC. They want to race Kona. The way COVID is going i cannot see a global influx of 10,000 people to Hawaii for a week happening for years. It seems so distant a possibility. and Ironman need to clear the backlog of WC qualifiers. I forecast they will say AGers qualified for WC have to race WC regardless of location or forfeit their spot/transfer to another event of choosing/partial refund type scenario.

This is kinda where I stand as well. Though I think that people will eventually move on from the attachment to Kona. I think that if the WC rotates between 3-4 interesting locations like StG. WTC will do ok. At the end of the day, the number of AGers really shooting to get to Kona may not be that material to WTC.

Sure, people will move on and WTC will do well financially hosting 2 day events and lower cost (for them not for AGs:). IM WC will become 2nd league event the way 70.3 WC is with deep AG roll-downs and half of top PROs not showing up. Roth will become real WC. It's by far more important than any other IM race. 5 second registration window doesn't lie. Let's hope Big Island will find another partner for Kona and they will do it better (not difficult task if you compete with "customer centric" organisation WTC is)

The pro field from this year doesn't lie either. Roth is an amazing event but where you are getting that it will become the "real WC" is beyond me. Roth doesn't even want to be that.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [apo72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apo72 wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
rhys wrote:

Maybe. I think that part of the reason 70.3 worlds are what they are is because people do take mid-distance racing as seriously as full ironman. I would personally rather race WC in StG or Boulder or Wales or Frankfurt where the travel arrangements are easier and the course is not as boring. But the masses may think differently, so the marketing will have to adjust.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [ALG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Really not sure about that. By changing location we'd bring the sport to many more people. And, importantly, to new people. How many people going to Kona actually go every year, again and again? We see the same faces every October; not saying it's a bad thing, but then let's not pretend we want to develop the sport.

Really?!? They have 100+ locations every year. Not enough??? WC is to attract NEW people???? Kona is not for new people. Disneyland is. And 70.3 WC is slowly getting there with deep rolldowns and 5000 participants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apo72 wrote:
Quote:
Really not sure about that. By changing location we'd bring the sport to many more people. And, importantly, to new people. How many people going to Kona actually go every year, again and again? We see the same faces every October; not saying it's a bad thing, but then let's not pretend we want to develop the sport.

Really?!? They have 100+ locations every year. Not enough??? WC is to attract NEW people???? Kona is not for new people. Disneyland is. And 70.3 WC is slowly getting there with deep rolldowns and 5000 participants.

The idea was if they make a “normal” Ironman the WC, random people are more likely to come check it out. And I agree that WC primary goal is not to attract new people, but it could be a nice plus.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
No way they hold it in April with IMSTG being the first week in May. I can see them doing a Fri-Saturday combo in May in STG. Friday being the AG race and Saturday being the WC race. Now, in that scenario I imagine they would move the NA Championship to another IM race.

The likely extremely cold water temperature in April and the closeness to IMSG are two reasons I think this rumor is really strange. How cold would the water be if the race were, for example, April 23? I'd think volunteer support might be difficult with two races so close as well.

Also, April is still kind of the "windy season" in much of the SW. The odds of having a really shit windy day are pretty high.
That'd make it pretty entertaining though. But the main non starter is really that there is already a full set in SG a month later.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up - not that fascinated by the WC location gossip, but the podcast episode was super entertaining. These guys are really funny in addition to being cocky, so they avoid coming across as assholes.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
apo72 wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
rhys wrote:

The pro field from this year doesn't lie either. Roth is an amazing event but where you are getting that it will become the "real WC" is beyond me. Roth doesn't even want to be that.

WC moving out of Kona will create some vacuum; adding IM WC label may lift status of Klagen, St.G., Lanza, Fra or other a bit for that single year (not that they are not great races) but it will be big step down from Kona; maybe it's my European perspective but IM is much less of a brand than Kona;
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
docpeachey wrote:
CP78 wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
CP78 wrote:

Is it possible to do St George as scheduled Saturday and WCs Sunday May 8th?

See prior post - same wavelength! Ha

Well that would be great, I'm registered for St George, so could race Sat then watch pros Sunday. Wishful thinking maybe

There is no Sunday racing in St. George due to the predominant Mormon population.

Sharon

Must be why they're doing the 70.3 worlds on Fri/Sat there in Oct. Suppose they could do that then.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
No way they hold it in April with IMSTG being the first week in May. I can see them doing a Fri-Saturday combo in May in STG. Friday being the AG race and Saturday being the WC race. Now, in that scenario I imagine they would move the NA Championship to another IM race.

The likely extremely cold water temperature in April and the closeness to IMSG are two reasons I think this rumor is really strange. How cold would the water be if the race were, for example, April 23? I'd think volunteer support might be difficult with two races so close as well.

Also, April is still kind of the "windy season" in much of the SW. The odds of having a really shit windy day are pretty high.
That'd make it pretty entertaining though. But the main non starter is really that there is already a full set in SG a month later.

Not in SoCal! We get winds in late September. Make Oceanside full GREAT again! That's be a proper WC course. Will never happen of course, but one can dream.

Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys aren't the SW. You're the west coast. Damn Californian SW wannabes.
AZ, NM, UT, far west TX enjoy shitty Spring winds (usually with tons of dry thorns to make you flat left and right too)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Francois wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:

Make Oceanside full GREAT again! That's be a proper WC course.

Now we are talking a sensible Kona alternative. If Hawaii gave birth to Ironman San Diego area gave birth to the entire sport. So let's go there for a WC!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
AZ, NM, UT, far west TX enjoy shitty Spring winds (usually with tons of dry thorns to make you flat left and right too)

Well, I'll be damned. Gonna go scrape some stickers off my car. :)

Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was an awesome podcast by tallbot

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
I think it was Talbot who said he overheard a certain someone talking with the Mayor of StG about IM WC’s in StG in April (Feb would be too cold for StG) and the hint sounded like that someone was Messick…. Comment towards the end of the interview

https://open.spotify.com/...lWtQ&dl_branch=1

Oh yeah, holy arrogant interview!!! But hilarious also. Can’t wait for Sam to close that swim gap by another minute and then Iden can’t sit at the rear of a 10 man train for 40 miles and we see some real racing.

Well, IMSTG just closed registration and they were only at about 1,600 participants. It doesn't say "Sold Out", they just closed registration. So what are they going to do if they transfer the WC to St. George? What will they do with the 1,600 people that are already registered?

I have been registered for this race since 2019 and been transferred to 4 different dates and locations already. Many of the registered participants are in the same boat. If they once again bump us to another date to accommodate the WC it would be the height of insult. The Full at St. George just seems to be cursed to uncertainty.

I’m more worried about the pros not having another IMWC race … I want to see Frodeno racing and I want those pro’s in their twilight years able to race a WC and not have to hang up their careers bittersweetly because of Covid

Agreed, more important for pros to just have the race than risk not having it at all. They're the ones who need it the most. People who are saying they want it on Kona due to history need to realize the history comes from the pro races, such as iron wars, thus it's important to support that aspect.

Doesn't seem too bad to not hold it there for one year.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it was slippery carpet. I saw a guy right in front of me thinking it was a Slip'n Slide and just skidded on his belly--it was hilarious actually. I wonder how much of that was pee and how much was water? Maybe I don't really want to know...
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least if they had it some place other than Kona we wouldn’t need to hear about the iron war one more time. For that I’d be grateful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

Utah is further North than 1/2 of California and more East than 100% of the state. Just sayin'
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
Francois wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:

Make Oceanside full GREAT again! That's be a proper WC course.

Now we are talking a sensible Kona alternative. If Hawaii gave birth to Ironman San Diego area gave birth to the entire sport. So let's go there for a WC!!!

I am all in on this idea!
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC’s in StG in April??!!! Rumor in ProTri podcast with Iden & Blu [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is official! It will NOT be in St George in April!!

IT WILL BE IN ST GEORGE MAY 7!

From the WTC

We hope you enjoyed watching the action at the 2021 Intermountain IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship presented by Utah Sports Commission in St. George last weekend – a preview to your May 2022 IRONMAN event. St. George has proven itself time and again to be a world class venue, where Champions choose to rise to the challenge, in the Land of Endurance.

As a result, it is with great excitement we let you know your IRONMAN event on May 7, 2022 will now become the 2021 edition of the IRONMAN World Championship.

What this means for you as a registered athlete, is you now have the opportunity to race in the 2021 IRONMAN World Championship.

While the IRONMAN World Championship was previously rescheduled to February 2022 in Hawai`i we recognize the impacts of COVID-19 persist on the Island of Hawai`i, to the degree that is too great to continue to plan with comfort. We are therefore delighted to have St. George as a the host venue for the 2021 IRONMAN World Championship.

We hope this news brings you excitement and anticipation, but we understand for some racing in a World Championship event may not bring comfort. For this reason, all athletes may transfer their registration to another open IRONMAN event within the 2022 year, if you prefer.

Immediately following this email, you will receive an email from Active.comwith your athlete options. If you wish to remain in the race, you do not need to take any action. If you wish to change, please make a final selection from the provided options by midnight, Sunday, October 3rd (Mountain Daylight Time).

Please know the previously communicated 2022 IRONMAN World Championship qualification slots will remain available at this race, and the 2022 edition of the IRONMAN World Championship will be held over two days in October 2022, in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i.

In 2022 we are excited to host this ‘first’ for the IRONMAN World Championship event, showcasing the very best triathletes from around the world on a new World Championship stage. We look forward to meeting your preparation and perseverance with a week-long experience of celebration and commemoration among our `ohana.

Aloha nui loa,
Quote Reply

Prev Next