Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WTCS Bermuda: Cancelled [KatP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KatP wrote:
Yesterday three occurred deaths I believe. The island is working to bring in healthcare workers from overseas. From what I have been told many traveled in late August off island then many gatherings happened over the 4 day Labor Day weekend. Most all COVID precautions were abandoned.
There are strict testing protocols for travel off island but it seems many tested positive on the day 10 test. Before the question is asked, from my understanding there is approximately a 60% vaccination rate on island and from my understanding Pfizer has been the offered vaccine.

4 deaths.... IIRC, there have been 7 or 8 in the last week.

There was initially really good uptake on the vaccination, then once they got through everyone who wanted it, it's been a lot harder to get the holdouts.

Most of the current new cases are from local transmission.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Bermuda: Cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As per Tri Can emails, for those who were on the lists for this years worlds that get cancelled, the spots will roll over to next year (the one exception are the multisport races which are in Spain now at the end of October/November, if you choose to race one of those races, your spot won't roll over, but if you decline, it will). For those who don't roll over a spot, it will be a lottery application for the remaining spots for Worlds. I suspect it'll be pretty easy to get a slot for Abu Dhabi, since the travel costs make it much more costly than Edmonton or Bermuda where people had originally signed up for. The harder deal will be for Sprint Worlds in Montreal in June, where there will likely be high demand in the lottery for slots.

Regardless of the COVID situation in Bermuda, it had been trending in this direction for a while, with limited flights as arilines are amping back up, the costs were many orders of magnitude higher than normal to get to BDA, and as a result, it was pricing many athletes, officials etc. out of being able to attend the race. Some federations were looking into charter flights to try and bring down the cost to make it feasible. That combined with the surging hospitalizations due to COVID, it's not shocking that the plug was pulled.
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Bermuda: Cancelled [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:
Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Grantbot21 wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:
0.05% here. IMHO cancelling the event is a over reaction. Frustrating, I had planned to go.

devashish_paul wrote:
I think maybe 0.05 percent of ST cares about this. I originally wanted to qualify for ITU Worlds Bermuda when it was an Olympic tri, but lost interest when it got changed to sprint. Do you guys know what the plans are for Olympic tri worlds in Abu Dhabi? I have not really tracked what's going on as I lost interest in this during the pandemic. When I have some local sprint and Olympic tris next year (all got cancelled) I will do them.

Based on everyone’s responses after yours I’d say it’s anything but an overreaction.

Excuse me this is slowtwitch, you’re supposed to continue to argue that you’re right no matter the evidence lol.

Lol
Quote Reply
Re: WTCS Bermuda: Cancelled [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really sorry to hear about that Jason, I guess they're lucky to be out when things are going crazy. I hope all of your parents friends still there are alright. Many are bummed about the race but world triathlon can wait until a safer time and place....
Quote Reply

Prev Next