Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pick a race slot: 140.6 WC or a Kona classic slot [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona! I can't imagine the WC being in a place like St George, lovely place but not as a replacement for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a race slot: 140.6 WC or a Kona classic slot [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple answer

When someone (non triathlete) hears that you have done Ironman.....

They don't ask if you done that race in Tulsa.....

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a race slot: 140.6 WC or a Kona classic slot [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I am in the minority, but I have never had any interest in racing Kona, and still don't. I qualified twice and both times turned down my spot because of the price and drafting. I got interested in triathlon watching Simon Whitfield win the 2000 Olympics, and then years later seeing videos of Roth, so I don't have that same connection to Hawaii that a lot of other athlete do.

Hawaii will always have its limitations in terms of race capacity, 1 day vs. 2 day event, travel, and expense. I think IRONMAN needs to start building the mystique of other courses and events to build that interest elsewhere, otherwise it will always be at the mercy of the Hawaiian authorities. No reason why future athletes wouldn't want to race on the same course, past the same place that Frodeno broke Gomez in South Africa at 70.3 Worlds, the same way that triathletes currently honour Mark & David hill in Hawaii.

With all this being said, I do think that no matter what, IRONMAN should try to hold onto Kona, whether it is the World Championship or not, because so many athlete's do feel such a strong connection and draw to racing there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't play long course, but would make an exception to be in the Kona event.

Although it would be to complete, not compete
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a race slot: 140.6 WC or a Kona classic slot [dross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dross wrote:
Are the pros racing this so called Kona Classic? They are part of the Kona experience / atmosphere are they not?

For the 140.6 WC, how will that differ from the long course WC that no one knows the names of the athletes racing?

Kona is my choice either way. It is and will always be the IM (140.6, Long course, Iron distance...) WC in many athletes minds and hearts. Hawaii is where it started and where it should stay (if they will allow us).

My understanding is the St. George race is the 2021 Ironman WC and Kona will be the 2022 WC. Prize money, sponsor eyes on them, etc. My gut says both will be strong fields (assuming Kona happens).

I am unlikely to qualify for a WC any time soon, but I would want to do Kona.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a race slot: 140.6 WC or a Kona classic slot [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
dross wrote:
Are the pros racing this so called Kona Classic? They are part of the Kona experience / atmosphere are they not?

For the 140.6 WC, how will that differ from the long course WC that no one knows the names of the athletes racing?

Kona is my choice either way. It is and will always be the IM (140.6, Long course, Iron distance...) WC in many athletes minds and hearts. Hawaii is where it started and where it should stay (if they will allow us).

My understanding is the St. George race is the 2021 Ironman WC and Kona will be the 2022 WC. Prize money, sponsor eyes on them, etc. My gut says both will be strong fields (assuming Kona happens).

I am unlikely to qualify for a WC any time soon, but I would want to do Kona.

Everything changed yesterday. My previous post was in reference to the hypothetical question asked by the OP.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a race slot: 140.6 WC or a Kona classic slot [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Simple answer

When someone (non triathlete) hears that you have done Ironman.....

They don't ask if you done that race in Tulsa.....

Non-triathletes are either impressed that you completed a triathlon or they are not impressed at all.

To the non-triathlete- Aunt Beth is just as awesome (or lame) as Daniela Rief.

Personally- I only care what other serious competitors think of me.
And even that, I take with a grain of salt - since my talents and limitations are personal.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a race slot: 140.6 WC or a Kona classic slot [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point is to most people Kona IS Ironman. There’s a reason for that.

My answer was always “No” to that.
It will be a badge of honor to say yes.

And my days of giving a shit what anyone else thinks of me are long gone.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a race slot: 140.6 WC or a Kona classic slot [dross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah - gotcha. Should have looked at dates for context.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a race slot: 140.6 WC or a Kona classic slot [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And what does Messick care? He has like 3 golden parachutes from the numerous sales he spearheaded and is so disconnected from the brand/ company he moved to CA."
-----------------------------------------
I'm just curious how well you know Andrew and what you base this on. I know him reasonably well and believe he is quite passionate and cares about IM. Just wonder what you opinion is based on.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a race slot: 140.6 WC or a Kona classic slot [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"And what does Messick care? He has like 3 golden parachutes from the numerous sales he spearheaded and is so disconnected from the brand/ company he moved to CA."
-----------------------------------------
I'm just curious how well you know Andrew and what you base this on. I know him reasonably well and believe he is quite passionate and cares about IM. Just wonder what you opinion is based on.

Since I posted this question, I get to partially answer with the specifics of St. George as a WC. I have zero interest in qualifying to race in St. George. I literally was going to press the button to general entry St. George one day before they closed it up and moved the WC there. No way I am qualifying to race in St. George when I can just wait a year to race there.

Having said that I wonder if at some of the qualifier races next summer if it gets "a touch easier to qualify for Kona". As it stands we have people from 2020 Kona and 2021 all deferred into Kona or St. George 2022. Perhaps many of those who would easily beat me, already have their slots from 2 years of Kona and there is a bit better than remote chance for a rolldown vs no chance!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who is admittedly new to following triathlon and the pro sport in general...why are people so in love with Kona to be the host of the world championship? I know it has all the history but wouldn’t it make sense to have Kona be open for people who wouldn’t otherwise qualify for a WC? And then grow the sport by having the WC in places where casuals will get excited about it being near them? Maybe that’s the majority anyway, not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a race slot: 140.6 WC or a Kona classic slot [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
I know I am in the minority, but I have never had any interest in racing Kona, and still don't. I qualified twice and both times turned down my spot because of the price and drafting. I got interested in triathlon watching Simon Whitfield win the 2000 Olympics, and then years later seeing videos of Roth, so I don't have that same connection to Hawaii that a lot of other athlete do.

Hawaii will always have its limitations in terms of race capacity, 1 day vs. 2 day event, travel, and expense. I think IRONMAN needs to start building the mystique of other courses and events to build that interest elsewhere, otherwise it will always be at the mercy of the Hawaiian authorities. No reason why future athletes wouldn't want to race on the same course, past the same place that Frodeno broke Gomez in South Africa at 70.3 Worlds, the same way that triathletes currently honour Mark & David hill in Hawaii.

With all this being said, I do think that no matter what, IRONMAN should try to hold onto Kona, whether it is the World Championship or not, because so many athlete's do feel such a strong connection and draw to racing there.

You still racing bro?
Quote Reply

Prev Next