Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon Grail (Gravel bike) as Tri Bike?
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I'm about to plan my First 70.3 Triathlon event. In the past 20 years I was 100% into Mountainbiking so I thought it would be a good Idea to get more into Road Cycling starting with a nice Gravel bike, so I bought the Canyon Grail Aluminium later last year. Using this bike on trails really sucked when you usually used to handle a mountainbike so I used it on the road which my initial plan was anyway. actually I'm Riding the grail with Continental GP 5000 Tires (32mm), which are pretty ok for me.

Talking about me and my plan: I'm mid 30 and not aiming for a Triathlon Carrer and I'll never do a full distance (healthwise). The plan really is just to finish the 70.3 and not to be on the last 3 finishers :) Generally right now I like riding around on the streets but I'll also have lets say at least 5% of off-road stuff which I can't get rid off.

What I really like about the Grail is the 1x11 gearshift (I really don't miss any more gears, even up- or downhill nor on straight roads) and the fact that it won't break apart when riding on forest roads is damn nice. On the other Hand is that I'm more on the slow side (lot slower than an avg of 30 kph on very hilly tracks).

Question right now, I'm thinking about is:
- Buy a new Canyon Aeroad and sell the Grail:
Positive: the weight is nice which is perfect for a hilly 70.3, bike is full of aero stuff and I'm prepared if I decide to do more than one 70.3 and I at least look more like a triathlete
Negative: costs Lots of money, probably falling apart on my 5% Gravel roads (this really worries me most), Aero/Tri Bars Mounting isn't that easy as of the new Canyon Cockpit

- Stay on the Canyon Grail (Mount Aero Bars and maybe get some new Wheelset with slightly thinner tires)
Positive: saves a lot money, I'm happy with my gearshift, bike won't break apart
Negative: Beeing pretty slow in the course (cause of the weight & aero setup)

Do you have any advice what might make sense for me? I can't just buy a used Tri bike for this event, cause I have a wife ;)

I'll attach an old Pic of the Grail to the thread so you know which bike we're talking about.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by: Xan: Sep 18, 21 14:17
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Grail (Gravel bike) as Tri Bike? [Xan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would advise that you buy a new TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Grail (Gravel bike) as Tri Bike? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would advise that you buy a new TT bike.

Did you read his question? he is not interested in full time triathlon bike

You can do ok in a 70.3 with an aeorbar (and narrower wheels). Gearing with the 1x and the weight may be somewhat limiting, but if its a one-and-done and you don't care that much about the result its not a big deal
So I think you really thinking about which is the better bike for most of your riding (which is not racing triathlons). Sounds like you would be better off staying with the gravel. If you do the 70.3 and fall in love you can always switch it out later
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Grail (Gravel bike) as Tri Bike? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"he is not interested in full time triathlon bike"

He didn't say that.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Grail (Gravel bike) as Tri Bike? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I didn't actually said that but meant exactly what dgutstadt said :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first 70.3 on a much less fancy road bike with clip on aerobars and it was perfectly fine. So you could finish on this bike no problem. If you are willing to modify the bike for this race you could take out the spacers to bring your handlebar lower (for the clip on) and buy a short nose tri saddle. This will bring you further forward for the aero position. Road bike + clip ons will not be much slower that the aeroad without.
Good luck
U
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think riding gravel 5% of the time is going to break the Aeroad. You also didn't say whether you still had a MTB - if you do, you could always ride it if you wanted to do a full gravel ride. If your routes include some gravel roads to get to sections of pavement, I think the Aeroad is going to be fine. If it was me, I wouldn't factor the 70.3 into my decision - I'd think about which kind of bike I'd rather have for riding where I'm going to ride most often and which I'll have more fun on overall. I've got a Tarmac SL7 and a Moots Routt RSL and will say on paved roads, the SL7 is a lot more fun to ride (faster and further with the same amount of "effort" as the Moots). On rough roads or gravel, obviously the Moots is a blast. If I had to pick one bike, it would be the Moots because it's more versatile. But comparing the Moots to the Grail isn't really apples to apples.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" I can't just buy a used Tri bike for this event, cause I have a wife ;)"

This statement suggests that you would want to buy a used tri bike if you didn't have a wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xan wrote:
Aero/Tri Bars Mounting isn't that easy as of the new Canyon Cockpit

Actually, it's pretty much impossible. The older H36 cockpit from Canyon did sometimes have clip-ons available, but there aren't for the CP0018 Aeroroad cockpit.

You will actually be faster in a triathlon on the Grail, as the round bars will accept a wide variety clip-ons, which will allow YOU to get in a more aero position. Very roughly, 25% of the aero drag is from the bike, 75% from the rider, and getting your body into a better position will reduce drag more than the marginal aero benefits of the Aeroad.
Quote Reply