Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds
Quote | Reply
I thought it was interesting looking at some of the pro's set ups. You have your Appletons and Charles-Barklays with extremely polished bikes and then you have Blummenfelt and Iden with DIY looking setups with the zip ties and ductape. I will be curious if those "ugly" modifications aid riders who opted to go with "hacks" rather than look pretty. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [droccafella03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Care to share a link of where you're seeing these things?

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics or it didn't happen

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.triathlete.com/...iant-trinity-setups/

These are pretty clean setups if you ask me.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zip-ties and tape may look slightly janky, but they allow you to actually put stuff exactly where you want it. I don't think for those guys it's getting around a weakness of their bikes (like all the Shiv Disc riders had to do at Kona a few years back), but rather just better optimizing their storage and gear. I especially like the computer mount duct taped to Iden's bars as I do a similar setup. Too hard to find a mount that places the computer right where you want it without being too bulky.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cared when I was young and broke and raced on a road bike with clip-ons. Now that I got a bike better than the pros I don't need to know what they are running.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I liked this idea. I know for a lot of people looking pretty (admitted or not) is an important part of triathlon so I think it's cool seeing pros chose the function over fashion approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim Reed's setup.
Per Triathlete Magazine"
"The AeroCoach 3D printed custom titanium bars have a profile design bottle underneath them, and duct tape to close all the gaps. It might not look like it, but velodrome and AeroPod testing confirm it reduces the drag coefficient (and is significantly faster) if your hands are in a high enough position for the bottle to sit underneath.⁠"
Last edited by: hubcaps: Sep 17, 21 10:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
droccafella03 wrote:
Yes I liked this idea. I know for a lot of people looking pretty (admitted or not) is an important part of triathlon so I think it's cool seeing pros chose the function over fashion approach.

What’s interesting to me is that they presumably can’t seem to procure a non DIY approach. There are plenty of cleaner and still very practical solutions to the challenges presented on their bikes, but they took the route that a 10-year old would. Whatever suits them. I’m quite confident they will be fast regardless.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 17, 21 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
droccafella03 wrote:

What’s interesting to me is that they presumably can’t seem to procure a non DIY approach. There are plenty of cleaner and still very practical solutions to the challenges presented on their bikes, but they took the route that a 10-year would. Whatever suits them. I’m quite confident they will be fast regardless.

Do you mean to say "10-year old"? Like zip-tying a bottle cage and taping a computer mount rather than buying a niche or bespoke solution is childish?

I have no objection to people buying pricey mods for bikes, but I also think it's nice to see setups like this where people take the easy/direct (and less expensive and probably less time-consuming) route to optimize their set up (and wouldn't characterize it as a shortcoming).
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dand wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
droccafella03 wrote:

What’s interesting to me is that they presumably can’t seem to procure a non DIY approach. There are plenty of cleaner and still very practical solutions to the challenges presented on their bikes, but they took the route that a 10-year would. Whatever suits them. I’m quite confident they will be fast regardless.

Do you mean to say "10-year old"? Like zip-tying a bottle cage and taping a computer mount rather than buying a niche or bespoke solution is childish?

I have no objection to people buying pricey mods for bikes, but I also think it's nice to see setups like this where people take the easy/direct (and less expensive and probably less time-consuming) route to optimize their set up (and wouldn't characterize it as a shortcoming).

Amen. I think this speaks more to their intimate knowledge of their setup and the bike they will be riding on race day. I love it. The only part that surprised me is that Kristian is not using an aero bottle on the down tube. But at the end of the day comfort with set-up will make more of a difference than minimal aero gains.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, it actually really turned me into rooting for him on this race. He seems committed to do what he can to win regardless of how pretty or not it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummmm, white zip ties instead of black? I also don’t like how the cut end of the tie wrap is….you know…kind of in a sensitive area.

Also you don’t cut them you take your linesman’s pliers and twist the end off so it’s not sharp.

Bunch of amateurs, lol.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't this illegal per 5.01.m and/or 5.03.b?:

(m) Except as set forth below in Section 5.02(b), additional equipment that has the effect of reducing wind resistance is prohibited during the bike segment of the Race (whether such equipment is worn under the athlete’s clothing, over the athlete’s clothing, or is otherwise attached to the athlete's body or the athlete’s bike); (DSQ) and

(b) Fairings are prohibited. Any device added or blended into the structure that may decrease, or that has the effect of decreasing, resistance to air penetration, or that may artificially accelerate propulsion, such as a protective screen, fuselage form fairing or the like, is prohibited; (DSQ)

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WiScott wrote:

(m) Except as set forth below in Section 5.02(b), additional equipment that has the effect of reducing wind resistance is prohibited during the bike segment of the Race (whether such equipment is worn under the athlete’s clothing, over the athlete’s clothing, or is otherwise attached to the athlete's body or the athlete’s bike); (DSQ) and

(b) Fairings are prohibited. Any device added or blended into the structure that may decrease, or that has the effect of decreasing, resistance to air penetration, or that may artificially accelerate propulsion, such as a protective screen, fuselage form fairing or the like, is prohibited; (DSQ)

Scott

That was my thought as well. Seems like something that caused DQs a few years ago. They should rein in this “modification.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

the aero gains of behind the water seat bottles lost when riders has to get up and reach around to grab them. So i think instead they are projectiles for competitors behind.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
stevej wrote:

the aero gains of behind the water seat bottles lost when riders has to get up and reach around to grab them. So i think instead they are projectiles for competitors behind.

That’s why you learn how to grab it without breaking aero. Or do it when your speed is low or when you are going through an aid station and have to get out of aero.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WiScott wrote:

Scott

My mate had to remove his home made set up as an AG at Kona in 2014 as you can see here which is no different in reality. Seems bars now come complete as a fairing plate now in some designs. I had a set made and made sure the guy making them didn't cross a boundary to break and fairing rules.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/The_tinkerer_Isaac_Tonello_4730.html
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
WiScott wrote:

Scott

My mate had to remove his home made set up as an AG at Kona in 2014 as you can see here which is no different in reality. Seems bars now come complete as a fairing plate now in some designs. I had a set made and made sure the guy making them didn't cross a boundary to break and fairing rules.

looks quite different to me - Isaac had made a fairing around his aerobars. these pros, like most, have everything on the bike in aero shapes and parts setup such as to provide fairings, however all those parts have a clear essential function rather than existing purely as fairing. so they are not "additional equipment".
if you read that 2nd part rigidly then virtually every aspect of every triathlon bike could be considered illegal... even the UCI aren't that silly!
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
WiScott wrote:

Scott

looks quite different to me - Isaac had made a fairing around his aerobars. these pros, like most, have everything on the bike in aero shapes and parts setup such as to provide fairings, however all those parts have a clear essential function rather than existing purely as fairing. so they are not "additional equipment".
if you read that 2nd part rigidly then virtually every aspect of every triathlon bike could be considered illegal... even the UCI aren't that silly!
You obviously didn’t read the interview…
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's Bike Set Ups for Worlds [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
WiScott wrote:

Scott

That was my thought as well. Seems like something that caused DQs a few years ago. They should rein in this “modification.

Yeah, agree. They should really stop people clearly breaking the rules. If "they" don't do anything, it will be a slippery slope to fully-faired recumbents. So really should just follow the rules (and maybe clarify them a bit or follow UCI rules or something).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WiScott wrote:

Scott

Replying to this and diy in general. First, diy mods do not need to be ugly. This is my setup. The xlab torpedo has a swiveling plastic bar made from a kitchen cutting board that is held with a ss bolt through the bottle's top (where the fin would normally go) with the appropriate plastic washers to fit. I move the bar longitudinally with the bottle, move the bottle up into place from below the aerobars, then turn the plactic bar 90 degrees to lock it into place (you can just see a part of the white locking bar under my left forearm in the picture). It could be even cleaner as the rubber band you see is there to hold my diy cap as I misplaced the original before the race. You cant see the cap here, but it was machined out of the same kitchen cutting board as the bar and inserted into a section of old latex inner tube so as to have a tight wrap which would form a tight seal.

The extensions are aerocoach angles. I ordered the custom 3d printed mount that matches the profile. Turns out my extentions are too close together to make it work so I shaped the perfect cross bar from 1inch abs pipe to have my mount just where I wanted between the arms then did a nice 3m electrical tape job. You can barely see it between my hands in the above pic.

Regarding 5.03.b by that definition any aero bottle breaks the rule. A bottle behind the seat breaks the rule. Heck, the letter of the rule would have disc wheels banned. Fortunately, the rule is generally interpreted as if it looks off, it is off.
Last edited by: Runorama: Sep 18, 21 15:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any pics of Kanute’s new Trek disc bike??

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply