Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 2021-2024 ITU discussion thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
oprfcc wrote:
I'm not sure we're right, but I agree with you.
I thought it looked like she couldn't make the bike go super fast. Obviously she has as good of a diesel engine as anyone else in the field. But I doubt she could 20k TT with Knibb, Flora, or Jess.

a little humility is always good when speculating what a professional could do to perform better, especially one as good as LCB. But I went back and watched Leeds and saw the same thing. There was some interactions with Spivey in particular where you could feel that one athlete was simply stronger than the other over the short bursts.

Lucy also directly commented after Super League Malibu that she struggled with the top-end power on the bike, where she also got dropped from the front pack every time.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2021-2024 ITU discussion thread [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
Commonwealths

England - GTB, Coldwell and Learmonth
Wales - Stanford and Mathias?
Scotland - Potter and ?

I think Katie Waugh is Scottish but not sure.

Is this the selected team? I'm quite surprised Holland is still racing then, prety sure she said she was calling it a day after Tokyo, unless now not being selected means she will retire.

I don't think selections have been made yet, although Sophie Coldwell posted on IG after Abu Dhabi that she had fulfilled the auto-qualification criteria for the Commonwealth Games.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2021-2024 ITU discussion thread [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
oprfcc wrote:
I'm not sure we're right, but I agree with you.
I thought it looked like she couldn't make the bike go super fast. Obviously she has as good of a diesel engine as anyone else in the field. But I doubt she could 20k TT with Knibb, Flora, or Jess.

a little humility is always good when speculating what a professional could do to perform better, especially one as good as LCB. But I went back and watched Leeds and saw the same thing. There was some interactions with Spivey in particular where you could feel that one athlete was simply stronger than the other over the short bursts.

Lucy also directly commented after Super League Malibu that she struggled with the top-end power on the bike, where she also got dropped from the front pack every time.

I hadn't seen that. She just mentioned it in her latest video about Abu Dhabi as well. Looks like she really is struggling with top end speed to close gaps.
She made a good point, starts might be hard to come by in the next year.
She's the 11th ranked GB women. And the three girls in front of her are all 5-6 years younger. Hard to give a WTS start to a 29 year old who isn't a top class runner compared to a 23 year old who is improving by the month. (ex: Kate Waugh)

For the sake of the sport, I think it's good to have her at races. Shows Long course folks just how competitive these races are.
Quote Reply

Prev Next