Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My new dog
Quote | Reply
We adopted him from the local shelter on Saturday and picked him up on Monday after he was neutered. His name is Achilles and he's a two-year-old long haired dachshund; I can't believe someone gave him up, he's such a good dog:

Quote Reply
Re: My new dog [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool dog. Do you tell him to "heel"?

Sweet - another puppy here. Just so you know, all dog related posts go in the main forum.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool dog

he's got the "ol' big eyed ask for anything and get it look" nailed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adorable doggie, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he is super cute......bastard people.....I can never understand how someone can just give up on a life like that....bastards probley had him for two years to.....

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Re: My new dog [k-factorfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The worst part is that they left him outside most of the time. He's only 11 pounds; definitely not an outdoor dog.

I would have a really hard time working at an animal shelter; I can't believe what some people will do. While we were there, these people brought back a dog they had adopted the day before. I mean, jeez, where's the commitment? How could they possibly know the dog wouldn't work out after ONE day? Achilles freaked for about 24 hours after we got him home. He's okay now, but that first night was tough and I think that's probably true for almost all dogs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my new dog cried horribly the first 2 nights. it was so unbearable i told him he was about to go back...it was a very very tough first weekend. i looked like a train wreck and felt like one too.

but, it got better, and continues to do so.

it seems most dogs can make great strides if they're loved and trained in a positive way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AmyCO,

He's a nice looking dog. Cool name too. I'm with you though. I would have a really hard time working at the Humane Society or an animal shelter. We adopted our Diva (a 3 1/2 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback) and our Crystal (a 2 1/2 year old lab-pit bull). Diva was 2 when we adopted her. The sad thing is when we brought her home we realized that she had a really strange gait and that she had trouble using stairs. The Humane Society didn't disclose this to us. When we took her to the vet they diagnosed her with ruptured bilateral Cranial Cruciate Ligaments in her hind legs. So we ended up doing $3000 in surgery 3 months after we adopted her. We haven't looked back, and she is an awesome pet. The thing I try not to think about (because it just makes me too angry) is that those a**holes who owned her before us probably surrendered her because they didn't want the expense of the surgery. I guess we are the lucky ones now!

Treat him well. Are you going to give this one haircuts too?

Bernie

Re: My new dog [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$3000 -- wow, that's a lot. Good to hear she's all better.

Ha, ha about the haircuts. No, Achilles has great hair; I wouldn't dare touch it. I'm getting better with Alex, though.
Quote Reply
Re: My new dog [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My GF and I both have volunteered and she still does. She also spent 5 years in an animal hospital and investigated cruelty for a national none profit. If you really want to start drinking I can have her give you a call, she has tons of horrible stories. People who work in shelters are amazing and care so much for animals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amy which shelter did you go to? Such a great feeling to save an animal!! Congrats on your new family member!
Quote Reply
Re: My new dog [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but no. I have my own demons that I deal with. I agree, they are special people. I would probably end up taking them all home!

Bernie

Re: My new dog [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the Dumb Friends League's Buddy Center in Castle Rock, which is about 10 minutes from my house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is truly a beautiful dog-such amazing eyes.

Now you should teach him this (check out this link)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6960295146523698319&q=dog+dance

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhhh.. I have two dachshunds (one no longer wanted and one from pound) but have never seen one like that. Can you post a few more pictures of him from the side? My wife would love it.

Great dog! Dachshunds are a little neurotic but very very loving.
Quote Reply