Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Purple Patch Squad review
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have first hand experience with Purple Patch Squad? The coaching service from Matt Dixon. I enjoy the podcast/book and coaching philosophy in general.

I’ve been using for the past few years Phil Mosley’s training plans on TrainingPeaks. I think they are great but I would like a little bit more of community aspect, the ability to talk with a real coach if needed, scale up/down the plan according to how much spare time I have, and a baseline plan I can follow whenever I’m not training for a specific event — e.g., off-season.

What has been your experience with Purple Patch Squad?
Last edited by: iamgianluca: Aug 17, 21 19:19
Quote Reply
Re: Purple Patch Squad review [iamgianluca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been on Dixon's Squad and prior versions for some years. They've built a really strong package with a great cast of supporting coaches and constantly improving and evolving technical assets. We're using Today's Plan for workout planning - it's very good - with a baseline and a library of additional workouts. You can adjust your own workout schedule daily and weekly. PP does strength training with some really great imbedded GIF's to show the movements. There is a pretty active internal FB group for Squad and coached athletes - great community. There are many opportunities for coaching contact on Squad - either through open "office hours" or 1:1 sessions. Highly recommended.
Quote Reply
Re: Purple Patch Squad review [Johnny_G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know much about Purple Patch, but it seems like these training teams have flourished in the last few years. It would be great if there was a directory of them somewhere.
others you may look at:
QT2
Outrival - owned by QT2
Andy Potts Racing
Big Sexy Racing
Breakthrough Performance
Endurance Nation
base performance team
Zoot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I don't have any experience with Purple Patch. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better training plan / community than the Endure IQ SQUAD - https://www.endureiq.com/training-squad[/url]

I've been part of this SQUAD since day one and have really enjoyed the flexibility with adjusting workouts and moving sessions around work or other life commitments. Like you mentioned in your original post, I'm also never too sure about how much time I'll have available for training. But, inside each SQUAD workout session there's an easy progression or regression that you can adjust if you have more or less time available that day. When you shorten the time available the reps / sets and time automatically adjust so you still get maximium gains in your available time without having to calculate anything yourself.

Anyway, just a personal opinion. But, I'd definitely check out the Endure IQ SQUAD. Plus it's a huge bonus to be able to ask questions, interact with and get guidance from Dr. Dan Plews. He's without a doubt one of the best coaches and sports scientists in the world (coach for the Zwift Tri Academy, Co-Founder of TRIQ etc..) but he's also the the best age group triathlete in the world (IM World Champs Kona AG Course Record Holder) so the ability to get access to all of his knowledge is what really makes the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Purple Patch Squad review [LewisRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plews seems really sharp - great blend of personal and coaching success, very smart.

I just wouldn’t be able to consistently put “squad” in all caps…

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Purple Patch Squad review [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plews is definitely a sharp character!

Haha SQUAD in all caps took a bit of effort. Fortunately auto correct has got my back now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@iamgianluca Just curious, what did you decide? I'm in the same thought process - using off the shelf static plans for several years and considering the change to a different training regimen without going to a 1:1 situation (I'm forever MOP and ok with that). If you went to PP or another what's the sense so far?
Quote Reply
Re: Purple Patch Squad review [Math Drifter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm forever MOP and ok with that

Not commenting on PP in particular but rather coaching in general. Like you, I am/was forever MOP and noting I was going to do was going to change that. Didn't bother me in the least, especially since by nature I'm not a competitive person. When I stepped up to long course I used a coach/plan for the first couple of seasons (maybe three, can't recall) to learn the basics of training for long course. After that I pretty much knew what needed to be done and stopped using a coach figuring it was a waste of money. It also helps that I don't need to external accountability to get out the door like many others do.

So, I guess my question is, if you are ok with your MOP status and you've been doing this awhile (seems like it from your context), why spend the money on coaching at all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I joined the Squad program in June. I would highly recommend it. The workouts are effective, as is all the education, instruction, and webinars, including coach office hours. They are also adding live and on demand video sessions for the bike and strength. The Today's Plan interface works well. It is also a good value for the monthly fee. Check out the philosophy and 4 pillars. If this is a good fit, then you should consider joining. The onboarding help is also good.

-Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Purple Patch Squad review [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It's a fair question of course, and I agree - there's certainly no "need" to do this.

I've had a known reliable routine that developed over time and has been good to have. But that's kind of the point, I don't have experience with other ways.

I have more life latitude now to change up patterns and routine - if I want to - so becoming more curious about options is part of that. The cost/value side of things is always subjective but a notable consideration, as is the value of potentially adding something new and enjoyable to the process.

My next significant event is IMLP with GFNY as a long training day along the way so it's just about how I want to structure the next 8 months more than a long term decision.
Last edited by: Math Drifter: Nov 5, 21 15:42
Quote Reply
Re: Purple Patch Squad review [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNSki wrote:
I don't know much about Purple Patch, but it seems like these training teams have flourished in the last few years. It would be great if there was a directory of them somewhere.
others you may look at:
QT2
Outrival - owned by QT2
Andy Potts Racing
Big Sexy Racing
Breakthrough Performance
Endurance Nation
base performance team
Zoot

Here's a list of the Squads, (or communities), we support at Today's Plan: https://www.todaysplan.com.au/find-a-community/

As mentioned, we are the platform behind the squads at Endure IQ and Purple Patch. If you are doing Zwift Triathlon Academy, Dan Plews is running the program thru Today's Plan as well. You'll notice the Brownlees have started a squad as well, (you can find it at that link).

Hope this helps.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Purple Patch Squad review [LewisRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the plans strictly triathlon based or is there options to just do running focus ie Marathon/half marathon training?
Quote Reply
Re: Purple Patch Squad review [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNSki wrote:
others you may look at:
QT2
Outrival - owned by QT2
Andy Potts Racing
Big Sexy Racing
Breakthrough Performance
Endurance Nation
base performance team
Zoot

I'm not part of C26, Crushing Iron, but a fan of their podcast, would add them to this list too

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spend about half my time in SF and swam with the Purple Patch Crew for a couple of years. Also, did a training camp with Matt Dixon/Purple Patch in Lake Tahoe. I would highly recommend all of their programs. I swam Div I and my dad was a Div I coach and I can say Matt is as good a swimming coach as you will find. While I haven't done any of the Tri Coaching programs, I understand from friends they are very good.
Quote Reply