Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HaydenHunter wrote:
daustin wrote:
What were your symptoms during the stress test? Was it an echo stress test? I had suspected heart issues early in the year and did the whole echo stress test which didn’t show anything wrong.

I don't know what an echo stress test is, but I went into the lab and they shaved me in a couple of places and hooked up sensors / leads. They put me on a treadmill which starts out slow and easy. They are periodically taking blood pressure reading as you are on the treadmill. Every three minutes they increase the speed and angle of inclination on the treadmill. You essentially keep increasing the pace until you tell them "no bueno".

When I took the test they found 2mm ST depression in multiple leads and I experienced exertional chest burning. This is the funny part because I have never experienced that intense pressure like someone has their foot on your chest. I just get a sensation of burning like my lungs are on fire when I go anaerobic.

When I subsequently had my angiogram they did a left heart catheterization and left ventriculogram through my right arm. The main issue (the reason they installed a stent) was that the Left Anterior Descending Artery was 70 to 80% clogged in the midportion of the vessel. There are flow issues in other areas but they will be treated with medication.

I have to say that I have never had much for symptoms except for the burning chest thing and my blood pressure has steadily risen to pretty high levels. Plus I have found it easier to get out of breath lately. The docs said that they are glad to have treated this issue when they did instead of seeing me arrive in an ambulance after a heart attack.

Echo stress test is what you is plus an echocardiogram before you get on the treadmill and then again immediately after finishing on the treadmill.

That’s what’s scary about some of these heart related stories is that people can have mild symptoms and exercising hard all while having significant heart issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vaxxed?

Legit question these days.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read this thread and watched the video. Pretty insane that Tim had such a blockage and also pushed through finishing 11th. I was 51 when I had an NSTEMI, and was completely surprised. I had finished 4 2/3 IMs (swim cancelled in Korea) and several marathons, shorter tri's, Spartans, etc..
Agree with get yourself check out if in doubt,
See attached for full story. Please free to contact me with any questions about my experience, and if you have a heart attack and think your life is over.

Best,
Barefootti/Cardiactri
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [sharks5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing here attached...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TO is on the startlist for 70.3 Chattanooga this weekend, and the FB profile of Triathlete.com confirmed he was starting.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What made you go in? Angiogram showed 25-49% blockage?

LifeTri wrote:
kajet wrote:
Wow. Total shocker.

I'm glad Tim is fine. Wonder if he'll get back to racing.

Does anybody know if this sort of blockage is detectable? I imagine a routine ECG or anything else that athletes do on a regular basis wouldn't give anything away? I really really really wouldn't like to undergo an event with a 12% survival rate.

Im 36
Have a 25-49% blockage in my LAD
I’m seeing my cardiologist and have had a second opinion

This is a very detectible thing

This really hits home.

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to see TO back in the mix. He was leading out of T2, but the Chatt course doesn't create much separation (esp. the current assisted swim), so it came down to a running race. 6th isn't too shabby in that field.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It must have taken A LOT to get to this point both for him personally and his family. Kudos! (and to Rinny!)

Hopefully he'll continue on this path and we'll see him back on the island in October.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
It must have taken A LOT to get to this point both for him personally and his family. Kudos! (and to Rinny!)

Hopefully he'll continue on this path and we'll see him back on the island in October.

Yeah it's pretty impressive. From the videos they've put out and IG stories it seems he took a long time to get comfortable even exercising out on his own. Don't imagine what it's been like trying to go 'all out' in some training sessions with that hanging over your head as well. Must be a serious mental hurdle to overcome (which fortunately, it looks as though he has done).
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [Kingy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, beyond impressive. He will, unfortunately, never be mentally over something so traumatic. That stuff will be going through his head every hard training session or race. But the more successful training sessions + races, the better it will get for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I reckon leading out of T2 counts as a huge success. Well done to TO.

Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [Kingy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just realized he'll be 42 this year, as well.

Nicola Spirig, Frodo and the Muffin Man @andypotts. Not a bad group of over 40s still at the top of the game for TO to be joining.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: May 23, 22 6:07
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a out of hospital cardiac arrest in 2015 and almost lost my life, thankfully I a Doctor was close by in a restaurant and saved me with CPR, I don't remember a thing! my LAD was completely blocked and I now have a stent. I completed an Ironman in Nice, France 3 years later in 2018 in 11 hours just shy of 50 years, was my 1st Ironman.

Definitely possible to continue training and be normal, I haven't had any issues since then luckily and still cycle, run, swim compete since then. Hopefully TO will be fully back to normal, there is no reason why not!
Last edited by: mortirolo: May 23, 22 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [mortirolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does someone remember the name of the thread with specific advice about which cardiac tests are more relevant to life long endurance athletes? They suggested a specialized sports cardiologist because the differences in athletes like ecg wave shape and cardiac muscle etc but wanted to check
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there's some in here:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=7150194

ETA: I would also search for threads involving DTOCE and Amnesia. Both are physicians and often reply in such threads, including mine.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 17, 23 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom, good information! (hope you are recovering well)

For others looking for a summary of threads, this is a link to DTOCE's post summarising some of ST's threads on cardiac screening:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7852605#p7852605

Sounds like if you are ...
- 45+
- concerned about family history
- and if your GP only offers BP, cholestoral (lipid) tests because you are asymptomatic and sporty
....You might still ask for regular...
- coronary calcium scan

Screening EKG's are of limited help in most people who are asymptomatic
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a link to an article I wrote for ST a while back
What Endurance Athletes Need to Know about Heart Health

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...art_Health_7911.html

and for more threads, see prior post (*thx Lacticturkey!)
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thats really informative, and what I was looking for, thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, a great, informative, clear article.

If you see my comment further up sometime ago, I had a HA in the LAD. I was out for 18 minutes and saved by CPR, I don't remember a thing other than feeling sick and dizzy during the work day, cycled home stopped and then awoke out of a 24 hour induced coma, since then (2015) as I said, completed Nice, France, still ride in the Alps, exercise 4-5 days a week, mainly cycling and running these days. I see Professor Sanjay Sharma one of the world's leading Sports Cardiologist here in London, UK https://www.sanjaysharma.co.uk/ he keeps things simple for me, I see him once a year. He sees elite runners from all over the world, triathletes and professional cyclists. Assuming you're not in the UK, he would have contacts over all over the place (he is a board member on the European Board of Cardiology)..............I recommend anyone, as in Dr Toce's article, get checked out by your local cardiologist/Doctor.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell - heart attack at Challenge Miami [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrfreeze wrote:
@ the MDs in the thread - would you mind sharing a prioritized list of the preventative/early-detection tests to get? I've looked back through this thread a couple times and I'm still not clear.

I'm seeing my doc ........Thank you in advance!

with this thread being pulled to the top, I had the chance to re-read it in it's entirety and somehow missed this:

Ask your physician for a coronary artery calcium score. It's basically a fast CT scan looking at the arteries to the heart to assess for plaque/CAD.
A score of 0 is very low risk.

*(I won't comment on + numbers but I've written enough and there are plenty of links to other threads...)

And always, always get checked if you have concerning 'activity limiting symptoms'-especially chest pain/tightness/unusual shortness of breath with minimal activity etc...
Quote Reply

Prev Next